Notices

Help/Experienced Advice

Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help/Experienced Advice

Hi
I’m new to your forum, and my reason for being here is because I have a friend who recently confided in me that she has been experimenting with cocaine. I know very little about this drug (although I’ve been reading everything on the web I can)…….
She confided in me, because she says she wants to stay away from it……knows how bad it is for her, and that by confiding she felt it would help her feel accountable.

I’m not sure what I, as her friend can do.
I know addictions (if that is what this is) have to be faced by the person themselves.
But is there anything I can do to help her?
She doesn’t want to seek professional help, doesn’t want to tell her family, has not yet become financially ruined by this, but is afraid that the cost will eventually drain her.

She says she “knows this isn’t good for her”…….and says that she has only been experimenting with it occasionally over the course of the last year. There’s a particular group of friends that use, and she feels as long as she stays away from them……she won’t be tempted.

I guess I’m posting here, as a means of getting educated myself……also any help or information that can be shared would be appreciated.
I’m concerned for her……..we’ve been friends for a lot of years, and I feel like I some how missed the signs that she was even using.
What should I look for?
Can I actually help her?

Thanks
Faithey
Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Faithey,

Welcome to our recovery community. There is a forum here called Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - you will find others there who will be able to guide you and who will share their own experiences.

Here is the link
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/family-friends/

My best to you,
Rowan
Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
:) Just For Today! :)

Hi Faithey
Welcome! I'm new here as well and am a recovering addict. Keep coming here and learn all you can, so that you can be supportive in her road to recovery. But you do need to know that until SHE is ready, she won't stop using. The disease of addiction is a progressive illness and even if she says she's "experimenting" with cocaine it can and will grab her and pull down into the depths of a place that no one needs or deserves to be. Much love and God Bless!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Faithey,

I started out "casually" using cocaine for years - just at clubs or parties where it was available. Over the years I progressed to a full time user with my dealer always on my speed dial. Other than my significant other who used with me, I guarantee you that others had no clue I was using. I was very good at hiding it. Don't feel bad that you didn't see the signs, some people are very good at concealing it. I think the fact that your friend trusted you enough to confide in you speaks volumes. She obviously sees character traits in you that she respects and needs. Be supportive and offer to be there for her when she needs to talk. It sounds like you are already doing all you can to help her - hopefully she will want to quit badly enough to follow through.

Good luck to her & point her to this board if she indicates some interest. It's been very helpful to me!

Daisy