I think I am addictied to "DRAMA"

Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I am addictied to "DRAMA"

I guess coming from a sick,sick,sick, background of Alcoholics Family... I am really thinking I am Addicted to drama and it doesn't matter what kind... I have been in Al-anon for 3 years and I am still dealing with being addicted to this madness of Alcoholic sickness...

Sunday my family and I went to my neighbors home for a Wedding reception with all the grooms family well It was "ONE HUGE DRINKING PARTY" and at one time there was so much drama going on in the home that the brother of the bride took off in his car going 90miles hour with his pregnant wife....He was so drunk so drunk that his sister and him got in to a horrible fight but the sister to was drunk.... but before he left he had scared the kids and pissed off the guest that were there to celebrate the happy couples day..... It was drama let me tell you!!!!!

When I got home from being at the neighbors both kids were upset and I did my best using the program to try and explain to them what they just witnessed..... My daughter who just loves being with our neighbors was saying "why" Mom do they feel the need to drink till there drunk? I said because it was a happy day or something deeper...... What else could I say I am not sure what there going through in there lives....

The last few days I have been feeling pretty bad because I was to addicted to the drama that I didn't take my kids home and get them out of that "drama"!!!! While the "drama" was going on at the neighbors I was like trying to fit in with out drinking but by making sure everyone is taking care of or being part of the "drama" Oh my sick sick sick........

I guess I am human!!!!! I apologized to my kids told them I love them!!!!!
Anyways..... till next time....

123onelove456
Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I hear ya ((((((123onelove))))
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I respect your honesty. I think realizing this may be your "addiction" of choice is half the battle. Just think about it a little more carefully next time. You're human and you made a mistake. Who doesn't? I think your children should have been removed from that mess - and it does sound like it was chaotic! However, you were wrapped up in all the craziness going on. If you're doing this on a continual basis, talk to your sponsor. However, if this is somewhat of an isolated incident, then you may be beating up a bit more than necessary on yourself.

Do you get engaged in battles, or sit by and watch them happen, on a regular basis? If so, yeah, I guess you could consider that being addicted to drama. Only you can determine that for sure by examining your own patterns of getting into the fray when drunk folks start carrying on.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't feel too bad. Until recently, I didn't even realize that leaving the drama was an option. Doesn't that sound dumb? If someone engaged me, I felt like I had to stay and do something. I used to believe in the fight or flight theory. Had to either stay in a confrontation, or run from it. Hey, I can actually do neither. Nobody can work my mouth for me. I don't have to say anything. I don't have to run and get all worked up either. I can simply do something else.

So, the fact that you stayed could just be another lesson for you. Think of all the people in this world who are addicted to drama and never even realize it, or the stress they are getting from it. You are fortunate that you made the realization. If you slip occasionally, you're still way ahead of the majority.

BTW, I am also addicted to drama. I also suffer from anxiety. Go figure!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Ok,
Now that you have figured this out, what are you going to do about it?
What will you change?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mr. Christian View Post
Ok,
Now that you have figured this out, what are you going to do about it?
What will you change?
Let see make a decision to take my children and myself out of the drama.... I had no idea how wiped out I feel going through all the drama on Sunday.... No wander as a child I felt so bad....... And back then growing up it was a every day/night drama no way to escape..........

Do you get engaged in battles, or sit by and watch them happen, on a regular basis? No, unless it involves my kids I do all I can to be polite walk away and STAY out of DRAMA!!!!! When it involves my kids THERE is no Alcohol most the times its friends bickering and fighting type drama.....

Anyways thanks for the replies...

123onelove456
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It is what it is

I kind of see it as being comfortable with what you know. It's what you are used to, so you are comfortable in it. It's a hard pattern to break. It's good you realize it's not healthy for you or your children and you want to change it. Good for you!

Jenny