Notices

69 days and counting.......

Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

69 days and counting.......

Hello all I'm new around here.

Where to start.........

Well, I turned 30 in May and finally decided to stop drinking. I had been seriously abusing alochol for the last 15 years. Serious binge drinker here. I can't begin to tell you all how long overdue my sobriety has been. But, for the first time in my life, I'm actually serious about it.

I found this board today by googling "sober message board" and I sought it out because the guy next to me here at work is sipping Jack and Cokes that I can smell from here and that used to be my drink.

So, I'm trying really hard to be a good boy and thought if I talked bout it, I might just keep up the good work.

So, that's all I've got for starters.

So, hi.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome TG, glad you're here, there's always room for one more in sobriety. I loved Jack & cokes, beer, vodka, pretty much anything that numbed me into oblivion. Now I love AA meetings and the high I get from being clean and sober. It's a pretty cool way to live!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Hey That Guy,
Glad you are here and that you found SR. I am not "alcohol neutral" or whatever people call it and it bothers me to be around alcohol and drugs big time. I am happy that you are here enjoying your sobriety!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to SR TG. Nice to meet you and hope to see you here again.

My B-day is in May also. are you a Taurus. Iam and I am stubborn as a bull, which has made recovery really hard for me cause I fight it every step of the waty and I dont know why cause I know life wouold be better without the booze and all the other crap.

I hope you find some help and support here. I know I do.

It is a great place to be.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aducksdelight View Post
Hey That Guy,
Glad you are here and that you found SR. I am not "alcohol neutral" or whatever people call it and it bothers me to be around alcohol and drugs big time. I am happy that you are here enjoying your sobriety!

I'm not familiar with the term "alcohol neutral" What exactly does that mean? One who's neutral about being alcohol?

Originally Posted by bfree4u View Post
welcome to SR TG. Nice to meet you and hope to see you here again.

My B-day is in May also. are you a Taurus. Iam and I am stubborn as a bull, which has made recovery really hard for me cause I fight it every step of the waty and I dont know why cause I know life wouold be better without the booze and all the other crap.

I hope you find some help and support here. I know I do.

It is a great place to be.

Thanks, and yup I'm a Taurus as well. 5-16. So far I don't think I'm fighting sobriety really, the real problem I'm having is boredom. I'm sooooo bored lately.

hopefully it's just a phase but I don't know. This is the longest I've ever been sober since I started drinking some 15 years ago.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome ThatGuy! Glad you found us.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great to meet you, good luck today.

3 months sober and counting is just something i dream about at the moment. you've actually done it.

Glad you're here as living proof it can be done. take care and hope it continues for you. Whatever you're doing its worked, hope you find something here that helps you continue.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, guy. keep posting! blessings, k
Old 07-25-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on your sober time.

Do you go to AA? Or are you doing this on your own?
You mentioned boredom, and that was/is a big trigger for me to drink.
I go to a lot of meetings today and have met a host of sober friends.
It's made sobriety truly enjoyable for me, and I was a big binger too at one time.

My best to you,
Rowan
Old 07-25-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by msh58 View Post
great to meet you, good luck today.

3 months sober and counting is just something i dream about at the moment. you've actually done it.

Glad you're here as living proof it can be done. take care and hope it continues for you. Whatever you're doing its worked, hope you find something here that helps you continue.
Just a bit over two months really. But so far so good right I don't know exactly how long a guy can keep it up but I do know that at very least I'll make it thru tonight. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Keep on keepin on kids.

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Welcome! Congratulations on your sober time.

Do you go to AA? Or are you doing this on your own?
You mentioned boredom, and that was/is a big trigger for me to drink.
I go to a lot of meetings today and have met a host of sober friends.
It's made sobriety truly enjoyable for me, and I was a big binger too at one time.

My best to you,
Rowan
Thanks. And no, I don't really go to many meetings. I try to go to them now and again but so far It's just me trying not to let myself down. I got my 2nd DUI in October and after I got out of jail I started seriously thinking about quitting but I made the mistake of thinking I could do it and still live the life I had been. Hang out with the same people, date the same girls, etc. But soon learned that was not the case. Shortly there after my 30th birthday rolled around and that's when I made up my mind. I quit the job I was working at, moved out of the place I was living in and stopped hanging out with my "friends" and I've just tried to break all the old habbits I had.
Now I've been reading a lot more, playing chess, hiking, biking, fishing, anything I can do to keep me out of the bars. Really I'm just one day at a timing it and hoping for the best. I really should go to more meetings though.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You've done a good job with changing people, places and things, and sound like you enjoy many hobbies. That's great. But 'hoping for the best' is a little dangerous. If you have nothing against AA, I'd start doing more meetings. Reach out. It can't hurt, right?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I admire you for making the changes that you need in your life !!!

I have just reached my turningpoint at the age of 36. Have always been a real partygirl and have overdone it for years. I ended up hurting someone that I love because of my actions whilst drunk. I never want that to happen again, and I don't want to let myself down again !!! Luckily, the person I hurt(Husband) is willing to forgive me and that we work this out, and that is why I just can't drink again... because if I do.... then I probably will hurt him again, myself or someone else.

Wishing you all the luck in the world. I just came here for the first time yesterday and it is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. I too need to get started on my "new" life, and how to deal with boredom. That has been a huge problem in the past !!!

All the best from
Yasmin1970
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You've done a good job with changing people, places and things, and sound like you enjoy many hobbies. That's great. But 'hoping for the best' is a little dangerous. If you have nothing against AA, I'd start doing more meetings. Reach out. It can't hurt, right?

I hear ya. And the only thing I've got against AA is that when I'm there I always feel like a tourist. I dunno, it's hard to explain in text. Hell, it's hard to explain in general. I dunno. But I agree, I bet I'd fair better if I did go to more. No arguements with that.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The tourist comment made me chuckle - I guess you feel like you are just visiting? I've felt that way, when I was 'around' and not 'in' AA. It was about fear for me - I didn't want to belong there, and I didn't want to share who I really was, with anyone. But. I joined a small women's group where I felt comfortable, and became accountable there. I show up every week early to set up and make coffee, I chair often, and reach out to newcomers. It's given me confidence to attend more meetings, and to reach out more. I stay behind to pick up chairs, and try to start a conversation with someone. It's become so much easier because I know so many people now. It took a long time for this to happen! I used to feel like the visitor.
So. I understand completely.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The tourist comment made me chuckle - I guess you feel like you are just visiting? I've felt that way, when I was 'around' and not 'in' AA. It was about fear for me - I didn't want to belong there, and I didn't want to share who I really was, with anyone. But. I joined a small women's group where I felt comfortable, and became accountable there. I show up every week early to set up and make coffee, I chair often, and reach out to newcomers. It's given me confidence to attend more meetings, and to reach out more. I stay behind to pick up chairs, and try to start a conversation with someone. It's become so much easier because I know so many people now. It took a long time for this to happen! I used to feel like the visitor.
So. I understand completely.

Yea, I guess I kinda do feel like a visitor. Now, it's not that I don't think I'm an alcoholic, I've been very aware of that for probably a decade now. I guess I just never cared enough to do anything about it till now. Also, I've got absolutely no problem sharing or exposing my weaknesses. I've always lived my life on my sleeve so to speak. I think what the biggest excuse I'm using on myself right now is that I'm still not convinced that I've actually tuned over a new leaf. For literally half of my life and for all of my adult life I've been a boozer and most of the people at AA take their sobriety very seriously. I guess I'm just afraid to fail. I really don't know why I don't go to more. I'm sure I could think up some more excuses but that's really all that they'd be. I don't know. That's probably why I felt inclined to search this board out. Perhaps to get a little bit of direction as I'm pertty much a lost soul at this point. Not lost forever, just a soul that's lost it's way.

Does that make any sense to anyone?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found this board, and others will certainly be along to share.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Boredom is a really big trigger for me. I sometimes dread the weekends rolling around for that reason. I'm a "homebody", which doesn't help the dynamic.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hear ya there. And my roommates suggestion was "why not just smoke pot instead"?

like that's the solution
Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 71 today.

Man, I don't know exactly why but last night, for some reason I really wanted a beer. I actually found myself rationalizing with myself how just one beer would be alright. I ended up going to an AA meeting instead. I'm glad I did. I managed to get out of the house for a couple hours and did some good talking with some like minded people. There may be hope for me yet. But only time will tell. I do know this though. I won't be drinking today. And as usual, I'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Hope everybody is doing alright this morning. Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hey, you did exactly the right thing...good for you!

Karen