Notices

Devastated (Again)

Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Devastated (Again)

YIKES!!! Although Im not new in sobriety I posted Here--Just had a devastating relapse. Yasmin1970s post sounded as if I wrote it!.I just drank for a week or so and ended up in detox. Ive been out for a week recovering physically and emotionally. The difficulty shame and regret is demolishing.I've relapsed before(I do it about twice a year for just a few days. I attend AA but my main affiliation is an alternate kind of group . I have of course picked up a white chip and intend to go forward again(I had been sober abt 5 months). I tryed the chat room but couldnt figure it out(or it was empty or something)I feel as if I had thrown away a winning lottery ticket!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad you found us, shawmac. relapse can happen, it's a tough disease. keep posting, k
Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back !

In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse
Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ShawMac,

Unfortunately the chat room is not working right now - hopefully it will be repaired.

In the meantime, I just wanted to welcome you. Relapse used to be a big part of my recovery so I can identify. Congratulations on picking up your white chip and beginning again. Please continue to post. Others will be along to welcome you shortly.

Rowan
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For Shawmack

Hi,

I am new at all of this but I just want you to know that I am rooting for you and all the lovely people here ! I can't offer anything else but my heartfelt sympathy that you are having to go through this again ! I am glad that you are moving forward !!!!

Yasmin
Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Sounds like you're suffering from alcoholic insanity...doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. Of course, you know it doesn't have to be this way. You can get off the merry-go-round once and for all...it really is up to you.

Slip:
A common term for relapse- drinking alcohol again after a period of sobriety in AA. The term is often used as an acronym as well: S.L.I.P; Sobriety Loses Its Priority.

Unfortunately, when we relapse, it's because we want to drink more than we want to stay sober. When we get to the point where we want to stay sober more than we want to drink...then we have a chance at recovery.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shawmack,

Welcome!

I can still remember the feelings of utter loss and devastation. It can be overwhelming, but you need to try to focus on your recovery or the negative feelings can pull you back.

There is lots of support here, so keep posting.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Shawmack,

Glad you made it back to us...

Forgive yourself and try again. Your not alone. Some of us do relapse only to find we are in a bigger jam. WE are confused as to why did we go back out there...We are faced with painful emotions that we haven't had to feel when we were out there active in our addiction...This is particuarly painful and can be very challenging to our recovery.

BUT there is hope...Latch onto all the support you can. We are happy you are here. Keep posting...
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanx for the support .It cheers me. Im having some philosophical problems with AA as well-if anyone reads down this far check out my "rant" in the secular section.
Thanx again friends.