OT-Article on overcoming Fear

Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation OT-Article on overcoming Fear

In the August issue of Family Circle there is an article about overcoming your fear. It is short but gives some insightful information.
Here are 4 things they mentioned:

1. EXHALE: Breathing out will immediately signal to your body that it is safe to relax. Within 30 seconds, says Neil Fiore, stress hormones susbide & you're on your way back to feeling calm & in control again.

2. CONNECT WITH YOUR BODY: Feel the chair under you, your feet on the floor. "This puts you back to the present where the body must always be," says Fiore. "Anxiety comes when your mind gets stuck in the past or the future.

3. TELL YOURSELF YOU'RE SAFE: When you start to feel out of control say, "If I miss the exit, I'll just take the next one" or "I've always managed to handle this before. I can this time too."

4. EVALUATE YOUR OPTIONS: Think of consequences & make a cost/benefit analysis. Is it worth enduring the heart-pounding panic to speak at the town meeting? Keep in mind you are in control of your actions.

In the article they list more and they also recommend books to read. If anyone wants to know the books I'll be more than happy to post them. I thought this was a good article considering a lot of us do have the stress and side effects of it to deal with.
I hope this helps at least one person, since all of you have helped me so much.
Hugs to all of you
Old 07-22-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I like #4, trying to be in control of your actions, sometimes I can't focus on that one.

Thanks for the post,
Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Self-talk and deep breathing helps me when I have anxiety attacks or even when I am stressed.

Thanks for the post pjbs, tips like those and self-help books can really make a difference.

Hugs
Old 07-22-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dolly. Number 4 is my problem too. I spend too much time second guessing myself. Thanks for the article, Pam. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just fabulous. I would love to know the books.
I am dealing with alot of fear at the moment - fear of belief in myself, fear of the future, fear of failure, fear of abandonment, fear of rejection, fear of BEING even, fear of happiness, fear of acceptance. It's across the WHOLE spectrum. Overcoming it sometimes seems like an impossible endeavor.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heather,
Here is the list of the books
Awaken Your Strongest Self(McGraw-Hill) by Neil Fiore
Positive Energy (Three River Press) by Judith Orloff MD
You're Stronger Than You Think (McGraw-Hill) by Peter Ubel MD
The Michelangelo Method (McGraw-Hill) by Ken Schuman (coauthor)

They had quotes from each person above about different subjects. I picked up the magazine in the grocery store today. I hope this helps you some .