Wish me luck

Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wish me luck

My husband and I are about to leave to go *hopefully* find a car... pray for me if ya will, b/c from the way the search has gone so far, I don't think it's going to be so easy...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is wishing you luck. I hope you find the car you need. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-21-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lady
Good luck finding just the right car at the right price. Maybe today is a lucky day??
Terri
Old 07-21-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
President

Don't buy a Kia...... just my own anger toward that vehicle! Gah! I hope she doesn't buy a Kia and then comes back here! I need to just keep my mouth shut!

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

The right car is just waiting for you to find it.
I hope it's a cool car too!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

late on this.i pray you found the right car , i know it is there waiting on you.hugs,
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's hoping you find just the right car!! I vote for a Toyota; I've had mine for almost 11 years.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Let us know what happened with the car. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Update

Well, I found several things that I liked, but they were all just barely out of my price range, so it is back to the drawing board. It wouldn't be such a big deal to spend a hare more if we weren't in the middle of closing on a house... It's okay though b/c I've thought of several other places to look, and hubby said he wouldn't mind taking me one day after work if I want to go.

I went to clean out my old car last night, though, and silly as it may sound, I got kinda upset. I mean, I've had that car for 6 years and I guess I'm kinda attached to it. It was my first car of choice as a teenager, PLUS it was officially a wedding gift from my parents last year when they signed the title over to me, so I'm being sentimental and such... I don't know if that is inhibiting my ability to think clearly about this or what...

But we did have another idea on my way home from mom and dad's last night. My husband's thought was that maybe we could take out a personal loan for the value of the car, using it as collateral, and use that money to fix it. That amount of money could replace the engine, the water pump, and the ac... and we might even have enough left over to get someone to paint it (it would be the same color and all, so I wouldn't care if it wasn't newly painted in the door jams or anything).

If we did that, I would have my car back and it would be in better shape than ever, plus my payments would be lower, which is good... and I'm just having a hard time giving up that car.

But then again, it is an 8 year old car with 125,000 miles on it, and what if something else breaks down on it? I can't afford to keep having this happen...

Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I felt the same way about a car that I had. Mine was a 1993 Ford Taurus. I still love the looks of that model car. The newer ones are so generic. Seems that about 7 or 8 years is the max and then big things start to happen. I actually had the Taurus for 10 years but it was starting to rust, it blew a head gasket and had problems with an oil pan leak. Fortunately I was able to have them fixed by a friend who does mechanic work in his home garage. So the repairs that in a Ford Service shop would have cost $3000+ ended up costing about $1,000. The problem with keeping your old car is that you never know when (like a head gasket) a problem will occur that makes it impossible to even drive the car. Have you checked out E-bay. We bought a boat on there last fall and got a really good deal. About $2,000 less than it was really worth and there are dealers on there that sell too. Good luck, but one thing I know, you will become attached to the new car too I loved my Ford Explorer that replaced my Taurus and I love my Jeep that replaced the Explorer. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did you ever consider a lease? Sometimes with a lease you can get more car than if you buy. When the lease is up you still have the option of buying the car. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, I thought about a lease... the only problem with that is that I would probably owe a ton for all the miles I'll drive during that time. I drive about 60 miles a day during the school year (which is better than the 90 it was last year, but still...)

Now I'm really thinking long and hard about getting something that I can just pay cash for (we do have about 1000 saved up, and I could put the rest on a credit card if I had to) and just using the heck out of it as long as I can... maybe by the time it dies I'll be able to afford something more to my taste.

This is just so frustrating b/c we had everything all planned out with the house and all, and then this had to happen...