Notices

What a difference a year makes.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a difference a year makes.

Hello again all......been a while since I last posted. One year ago today, I was on day one of the most brutal alcohol detox I had ever encountered, and I had many under my belt in my 35 year drinking career. In retrospect, I would say it took 2 or 3 months before i started feeling normal again....actually I had probably lost sight of what normal was. This year has been an uplifting and a spiritual awakening. No more hangovers, no more hunkering down in the house for a week long drunk. My business is better, my personal relationships are better, my health is better, my finances are better....there is no downside.
I have not wanted for or desired a drop of alcohol in the last year, it's the furthest thing from my mind. I probhably would have drank in that first ten days of detox....if I'd had alcohol in the house.....to ease the suffering....luckily I was too damn sick to even leave the house to get any.

If I had any advice to give for those still struggling with drinking, I'd say....JUST DO IT........things are brighter on the other side......if a bad drunk like I was can feel this much better after a year..........it's possible for anyone.

There's one thing that is worrisome to me.....I have become totally intolerant of being around people that are showing obvious signs of inebriation. I get angry....and I can't pinpoint why. My neighbor, who's a psychologist with many years experience, who I have confided in, says I need to figure out why I get angry....so I can deal with it. it's a big world....sometimes one is put in social or other situations where people are drinking alcohol....I don't think one can escape that. I have no problem being in settings where people are having cocktails....it does not make me want or desire a drink.....it's the furthest thing from my mind. It's seeing people in a drunken or almost there state that sets me off internally......and I don't know why. Anyone have any insight into this?

God bless and thanks for listening

Scott
Old 07-21-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

scott, what a great ray of hope is shared...

scott
It's seeing people in a drunken or almost there state that sets me off internally......and I don't know why. Anyone have any insight into this?
a mirror image?

all good wishes scott...

xxoo, rz
Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply RZ....is it possible, I am intolerant and angry, because of what I was? because I see where I was? I don't know....I am so happy to be not drinking....could I be angry at myself for years wasted? It's a tough question and I thank you for taking the time to reply.

Scott
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

easy question... simply put... we do not regret the past... just learn from it... dont be that same person, and move foward... anything else is waisted energy...

i can also say, time, its different for everybody... your right where your spozed to be...

ta-ta for now scott...

xxoo, rz
Old 07-21-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

hey great post. yeah 1 year can make a huge difference. congrats thats monumental. i went from homeless to working in the sears tower in a year so i absolutely agree! as far as looking down on people who are messed up...ive had those thoughts too. while i do agree we should work on that, i also think we really just need to NOT DRINK and carry on with our step work. our progress will continue and we'll straighten out. after 1 year we're not perfect! i was at a concert the other day and some dude behind me was smoking tons of pot. it was getting in my face and my first thought was "what a moron." then i remembered i was a heroin addcit! oh yeah...oops lol. so i simply moved away from him and continued to enjoy the show. progress, not perfection. i have a long way to go but i am progressing.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cago, amazing how the forgeter can forget...

happy to hear your doing well...

xxoo, rz
Old 07-21-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post Scott. I am one that is struggling. It's been 19 days so far without drinking and I hope one day I can say that it's been a year since my last drink. Your post was very inspiring .

Thank you,
Theresa