Notices

I'm back...and I hope I'll stay this time

Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back...and I hope I'll stay this time

A little over a year ago I was posting here pretty regularly and it was really helping me keep myself in check. Most nights I wouldn't drink at all, and those that I did, I kept in moderation. Beer is my drug of choice....it's such an easy thing; no one realizes you have a problem except YOU when you tally up the empty cans on the kitchen counter the next morning that only could have been put there by you. Every day for a year I have begun my day driving to work telling myself "today will be the day". Then after I pick up my son at preK and he begs to go to the minimart for candy, I end up picking up my own six pack. The urge is just too great. On my 45 minute ride home I usually consume 2-3 of the beers depending on traffic. Then consume the rest (if not more) before retiring for the evening.

I have managed to stay very active with my son in the afternoons. I take him to the park or the pool, or we play in the backyard. Still, there is always that beer not too far away. What a great example I'm setting, huh?

Unfortunately, it's the example I grew up with. I recently went to look for a picture of my parents from my youth. The only ones I could find had both of my parents going about daily tasks with beers not far away. Guess what? I recently went throug my own pictures and probably 75% have a can of beer somewhere in the picture.

I know there are others of you out there with this same background. Beer is simply the "adult drink" rather than some type of soda drink. Kind of like moving from milk to coffee in the morning.

Tell me your stories and tell my how you've fared. I don't want my son to be a fifth generation alcoholic, and want to be able to show myself as an example in case he starts down that path.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Glad to see you.

I know about the beer cans in the photos, they're all next to me.

BHJ
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back,

You've made a good choice to stop the cycle now and show your son a different kind of life.

My mother was an alcoholic and from my earliest memories I didn't want to be like her. That became my goal in life. I did everything I could to be 'not like her' and did nothing to be 'me'. I didn't drink until my mid-forties, but became an instant alcoholic. In all those years I had never tried to find out who I was.

By making a conscious effort and taking the step to move out of this cycle, you can change things for you and your son.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inneedofchange View Post
. Beer is my drug of choice....it's such an easy thing; no one realizes you have a problem except YOU when you tally up the empty cans on the kitchen counter the next morning that only could have been put there by you. .
Hi and welcome back.

You woulld be surprised to learn that others KNOW too. I thought my drinking was well hidden until my son confronted me while I was sober..

He said "You have been drinking everyday. I know and I can tell".

Good to see you back, keep posting, we are happy you are here.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

In Need...

I got alcoholic hepatitus from beer alone...a lot of beer. I called it "the elixir

of the gods".."breakfast of champions"...

I, too, would get a sixpack and drink on the way home...and buy another when

I GOT home.

It is good you are seeking help..driving while drinking with your child in the

could result in disaster!

We are here for you.

Love,

:

IO
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Kat. I, too, hope you stick around and look forward to reading more of your posts.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to see you, kat! blessings, k
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Kat!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kat,

hw are you doing today? Drop us a line...

Thinking of you...
Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Missymae and everyone else who wrote to support me. Thank you. I must admit that I haven't started sobriety yet. I am working through a program that requires you to ask yourself every morning if you are willing to take the steps necessary to be sober. If you can't honestly answer yes, then you aren't supposed to call yourself recovering yet. I couldn't answer yes....I'm not sure I have the strength to resist the call of the mini mart at 5pm. However, my son's 5th birthday party is tomorrow morning and I think the best present I could give him would be that commitment. I am really going to meditate on this.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

sober mommies are the best kind of mommies!!