Notices

Withdrawals

Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals

Going through withdrawals. Chills, headache, bad bad nightsweats, no appetite, etc. And my memory is so bad. I'll start a conversation and suddenly my mind goes blank and I have no idea as to what I was going to say. I hope this changes. It's a little alarming but I'm thinking it's part of withdrawals. It's day 3. I'm really grateful. Even though I'm having trouble sleeping I felt a tiny bit of peace last night because I read rather than being obsessed with trying to chase the high that was no longer there I kept thinking I could recapture that nice high but it was impossible-I was chasing an illusion.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Withdraw sux.

Have you seen a Doctor ? Your BP is probably thorugh the roof.

There's a sticky here somewhere titeld 'what to expect...." read it.

And see your Doctor
Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I saw my doctor yesterday. My bp was fine. I do have a blood pressure cuff somewhere. I'll find it and take it today. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for your reminder of how much withdrawal SUCKS and how much we ALL NEED TO AVOID IT IN THE FUTURE. That includes you, LFP.

I recommend the following:
1) Get down on your knees and pray to SOMETHING. Pray for help getting through the withdrawals. Promise that if <something> will just help you succeed, you will turn your life and your will over to <that something> from that day forward, and try to do <It's> will instead of your own. That was THE FIRST PRAYER I personally ever made IN MY LIFE. And guess what? It started getting better within hours. And I haven't used since...
2) YES, the memory thing is part of withdrawals. JUST went through it recently, I PROMISE it is part and parcel, don't worry about it. It'll be back. Here was my attitude at the time: Hey, guess I better enjoy my last bit of spaciness while it lasts
3) Start going to meetings of some support group as soon as you can physically sit in a car and then sit in a chair (that's in front of a table) for an hour. Just doing SOMETHING, anything, that points you in the direction of recovery (reading like you're doing ... thats good ... this board ... also good!)
4) Talk to a doctor with experience in this arena. My doc, who ran a treatment center for years, gave me Ambien, Clonidine, and Neurontin, and frankly without those things I might not have made it.

The following assumes you're talking narcotic w/d, as that's what it sounds like based on your description:

Unisom, in reality, would likely have done fine as a substitute for Ambien, and personally, I wouldn't trade the restful sleep I was able to achieve on Ambien (and later Unisom, which I stopped with NO PROBLEM at 30 days sober) in early sobriety (i.e. withdrawals) for ANYTHING. The lack of sleep became for me the thing that got me closest to saying F**K THIS and going out. Furthermore, as I've said here many times now, I personally would not even mess with Diphenhydramine (Benadryl/Tylenol Pm) myself, because it consistently made my twitching/frustration WORSE. It's simply not the right drug for that situation.

CONGRATS ON DAY THREE, YOU'RE CLOSE TO HALFWAY THROUGH THE HARDEST PART!!! Even though ... minutes ... seeeeemmmmm ... liiiiikkkkkeeeee HHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRS SSSSSSSSSSSS right now ...

Trust me, they'll actually still only be minutes.

You can laugh now

Or cry. Whatever suits you. Also, I would hit the "CRANK IT UP" thread, and try rocking some tunes (especially the ones I PERSONALLY posted, because I have such exceptional taste :P)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks bvaljalo. Awesome feedback. Yes I'm am in opiate withdrawal, hash, klonopin taper (under doc's supervision). I'm taking your suggestions and will follow through. It's exactly what I need.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks bvaljalo. Awesome feedback. Yes I'm am in opiate withdrawal, hash, klonopin taper (under doc's supervision). I'm taking your suggestions and will follow through. It's exactly what I need. My doc gave me some Trazodone to take for sleep (it's non-addictive). Not sleeping is a trigger for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Not sleeping was always a trigger for me as well. (my doc was alcohol).

Good luck!! Stay strong. Glad you're here.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lemme know how the Trazodone works for ya, I'm curious about this sort of thing ... like to be able to offer the best possible suggestions to my fellow dope-fiends going through the detox.

DISCLAIMER: as others here seem FOND of very SUBTLY and TACTFULLY reminding me ... I'm NOT a doctor ...

I just play one on the board!

Insofar as such may be henceforth received by any and all interested parties (hereafter "board participants") any perceived or actual "medical advice" ... all such 'advice' emanating from the above listed 'poster' (to wit: bvaljalo) shall be considered as purely anecdotal in nature, and shall in no way constitute any actual 'professional' advice ... and bvaljalo shall hereby be rendered and considered legally indemnified and non-liable ... and the boards official position should likely be considered to be the following: Consult an actual ... doctor ... person.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

bvaljalo-you crack me up and I also respect what you say. I got down on my knees after reading your post. I just cried and cried. I realized how scared and alone I'm feeling (this board helps that). I got triggered today after discovering that my significan other is doing websearches about his ex as well as looking at singles/sex websites. It's a bit difficult to handle that one. My focus is still on my recovery.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Insofar as such may be henceforth received by any and all interested parties (hereafter "board participants") any perceived or actual "medical advice" ... all such 'advice' emanating from the above listed 'poster' (to wit: bvaljalo) shall be considered as purely anecdotal in nature, and shall in no way constitute any actual 'professional' advice ... and bvaljalo shall hereby be rendered and considered legally indemnified and non-liable ... and the boards official position should likely be considered to be the following: Consult an actual ... doctor ... person.
I think I just found my new signature line !

Longing, yeah, focus on recovery. Everything else falls into place. Not exactly how, or when you want it, but it does.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The part about "consulting a doctor" about your "situation" being ESPECIALLY PERTINENT, i.e. "good advice" if you happen to ...

You Know ...

Live SOMEWHERE ELSE beside the USA, and hence have what is commonly known as "ACCESS" to what might be called "UNIVERSAL QUALITY MEDICAL CARE", despite their current standing as a broke-ass, jobless, drug addict/alcoholic, and despite perhaps hoping to be able to "get Health Insurance" as part of what they call "A Job" in "The Future".

For the rest of you ... maybe ... not so much...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm really, just touched right now ... I wanna say that <sniffle, sob> I'm just SO HAPPY to see the recognition of ALL of our HARD WORK and ... <wiping tear>I'm so moved that ... I ... WE, really, it was all of us up here today ... that we could make you laugh ... and then ... <sniff> CRY <outburst> ... and ... oh my gosh I just wanna thank God of course, and my manager, oh, and ... my sponsor, and the Steps, and ... EVERYONE HERE my gosh I love you all!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some days ...

anybody else ever feel

just a bit less 'serious'

than on other days?

It's like that for me...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LFP ...

<donning my sex therapist cap, and speaking in the voice of, say, John Cleese>

"Yes, um-hmmm, I see ... Sex/Singles websites, you say? Well, that's really nothing to worry about, I shouldn't think. Nope, simple solution, really. Whats that? Oh, yes. Right. No, the problem here, my dear, is that you AREN'T KINKY ENOUGH. No, well I don't personally advise on this matter during a session, but we DO have a number of booklets available at the front desk that will help you BECOME KINKY, all you have to do is take those home, read up, CAREFULLY follow their instructions, and your relationship should be RIGHT AS RAIN in a few days... Oh, yes, you're welcome, dear, CHEERIO then, call me if you have any QUESTIONS, eh? Know what I mean? That's a sport, off you go now. Think KINK!"
Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That being said, I'd like to add ...

...not liable ... indemnify ... heretoforth and whereby hold as completely harmless ... shall not be construed as a warranty of any kind...
Old 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

John Cleese, eh?

Monty Python or Fawlty Towers??
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Are you Kidding!!?

Can't tell if you're being funny on this last post or not. First of all, I take this relationship stuff seriously. I also take seriously that this is a friggin trigger for me especially at THREE DAYS CLEAN. And how do you know anything about my sex life? I might be kinky as hell. I'm a bit offended. If your kidding my bad.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longingforpeace View Post
My doc gave me some Trazodone to take for sleep (it's non-addictive). Not sleeping is a trigger for me.
I take trazadone too longing. What strenght are you on? I didnt read this whole thing.

I hear ya on the withdrawals!! It DOES go away so hang in there. Eat! It helps. Just go grab your favorite foods.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
LFP ...

<donning my sex therapist cap, and speaking in the voice of, say, John Cleese>

"Yes, um-hmmm, I see ... Sex/Singles websites, you say? Well, that's really nothing to worry about, I shouldn't think. Nope, simple solution, really. Whats that? Oh, yes. Right. No, the problem here, my dear, is that you AREN'T KINKY ENOUGH. No, well I don't personally advise on this matter during a session, but we DO have a number of booklets available at the front desk that will help you BECOME KINKY, all you have to do is take those home, read up, CAREFULLY follow their instructions, and your relationship should be RIGHT AS RAIN in a few days... Oh, yes, you're welcome, dear, CHEERIO then, call me if you have any QUESTIONS, eh? Know what I mean? That's a sport, off you go now. Think KINK!"

I would ingore this!! Longing.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's try to get this thread back on track and talking about Withdrawls.