Notices

My first actual thread - Question on Wellbutrin

Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first actual thread - Question on Wellbutrin

So, I got a bit of sober time now under my belt, attending meetings, have sponsor, trying to get some step work done, feeling pretty good. Quick history, this is off a 2 year oxycontin/1 year little bit of speed with the oxys/followed by 8 month bupe-only weaning period ... call it a 'major bender' if you will.

My problem now is a serious lack of motivation, along with some low-grade depression. Fact is, I quit taking the bupe MAINLY because I was so unmotivated on the sh*t, and the fact is .... nothing has changed. My 'drive' I used to have ... just ain't coming back for some reason. I'm still in the 'recovery' phase, true, I haven't got a TON of time under my belt, but I feel like my head is pretty close to normal (such as that is) at this point, other than just not feeling like doing much that qualifies as 'work'.

Plus, I smoke, and I'd like to begin at least trying gum or a patch to help wean and quit.

Now, I know a bit about the chemisty of what I've done to myself, and it seems to me that Wellbutrin would be a logical choice to try.
Beside the fact it used to be called Zyban (to help quit smoking), isnt' it logical that one who is attracted to opiates and subsequently abused them could suffer from a dopamine deficiency? Wellbutrin is a dopamine re-uptake inhibitor. And isn't Wellbutrin supposed to have a least a mild stimulant effect ... maybe get the motor running a little bit, without giving one the 'gotta have mores' which leads to our collective downfalls?

I should add: I've been on SSRI's in the past (self-prescribed, tried a few different ones, stayed on for about 3 weeks each time) and I really don't think I have a Serotonin problem, those things ALL made me feel really TWEAKED... almost like a really mild acid/ecstasy trip, only without ANY of the fun. And they didn't really get rid of the feeling I wanted to get rid of.

SO ... I'm looking for anyone, particularly someone who indulged in opiates and/or stimulants of any kind to excess, who can share their Wellbutrin experience...

Thanks in advance,
Brett
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

WOW! With all that knowledge, you should consider becoming a chemist! Sorry, just being a bit facetious and tongue-in-cheek.

Seriously, I have nothing to offer you, other than to say I've been on prescribed Welbutrin for four years or so...thankfully, have never been involved in drugs (other than prescribed)...just a garden variety alcoholic trying to stay sober ODAT.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was only on welbutrin for a very short time so I don't have much advice to give on that front. I wonder about your self-prescribed SSRI's. What do you mean by that? Are you a doctor? Assuming your not, my suggestion would be, go see your doctor. Tell him what's bothering you and about the addiction issues. Tell her your experiences on SSRI's and other meds. Tell her you're armed with knowledge (your smart!). If she's good, she'll listen to you. I think you should let her prescribe something to you, if anything at all. Try her advice instead of self-prescribing.

Great job on your sober time btw!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jersey:

Well, I have in fact earned my Bachelor of Science degree from Cal Poly, SLO ... hence, I've had QUITE a bit of Chemistry training, in fact, it was my best subject in terms of grades. I've also done TONS of research on the Web about the effects of narcotics on the brain ...

And guess what else?

ALCOHOL IS A DRUG.

So THERE Smartypants

Now, why don't you try and be OF SERVICE and inform me of your experience with Wellbutrin?

Thanks

Paper - no, THIS TIME I will be doing all my psychoactive drug experimentation with my doctor for sure. But in the past, my best friend went through the ROUNDS with his doc, and he ended up with LOTS of bottles left over - Zoloft, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, to name a few. Being the addict type (this was before I'd slipped into a true 'active addiction', although I definitely used alcohol and weed in celebratory ways on regular occasions, and had tried just about every drug under the sun experimentally), I pretty much tried them all, searching for that ... something ... to make me feel like I wanted to feel. I eventually discovered Oxycontin and ... it was, well, a very sharp downhill for me for awhile there
Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Well, crap! Don't call it "psychoactive drug experimentation". That makes it all scarey sounding.

You do know that alcohol can change the way antidepressants work, right? Since it's a drug and all.

Go see your doc and follow his or her advice. Ok, so check back and let us know when your appt is!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,

Wellbutrin made me entirely to much nervous. I felt like I drank a hundred cups of coffee...I tried it for two weeks and spoke to my doc. They didn't work for me. They actually made me feel more anger!

That was my experience. I was addicted to narcotics too. What is working for me is Seraquill. This is a mood stabilizer...It helps me to sleep at night...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too was on Wellbutrin for a short while (in my previous recovery). I have very much been into opiates (vics/norco/percocet). The Wellbutrin made me a little agitated so the doc tried something else. However, Wellbutrin works well with so many people including people with an opiate history. You're so right about the dopamine. I think Remeron also targets both dopamine and serotonin.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome, keep 'em coming!

Thanks!

Oh, and let's just be frank here, when you go and see a doctor and complain with kind of symptoms I'm describing, what is going to happen is EXACTLY "psychoactive drug experimentation". Because NO DOCTOR is going to just KNOW what is going to work. That's why I described it that way, you see
Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"I should add: I've been on SSRI's in the past (self-prescribed, tried a few different ones, stayed on for about 3 weeks each time)"

You do know they can take about a month to start working properly?
Also the side effects, which can include feeling weird, can last about a month too.

I dont know anything about Wellbutrin
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Paper ... I'm not personally an alcoholic, so it wasn't like I was mixing the drugs on anything like a consistent basis. I'd go out a couple times a month and have 5-8 drinks over the course of 4-5 hours, catch a little buzz ... that was my personal pattern with the booze. Weed was also pretty occasional at that point. I was also working out like crazy at the time (looking back at the pics from those days is pretty depressing ... damn I looked GOOD ... if I say so myself ) Anyways, I think the scenario in terms of my general mental health was pretty optimal for judging the effects of the SSRI's - with the exception that I switched about every 3 weeks (although I was taking AN SSRI for about 4 months straight - and I was just following 'behind' my friend, who WAS switching per a doctors orders as HE tried to find 'the right one', which for him has been Effexor for many many years now).

Just to clarify, I just want to go to my doc armed with a logical suggestion for a FIRST avenue of treatment, cause I think he appreciates it when I do HIS homework FOR HIM... Known this guy for awhile at this point, and he did run a Drug Treatment center for YEARS ...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd forget everything you think you know about treating yourself. I used to self medicate too, and, well......you can guess THAT story.

Not to be argumentative, but a BS (He he ...BS) is no where near a pHD. Or a PHD with 20 years experience in the field.

I don't recall how much sobriety you have. I've got 9 months recovery from alcoholism, and motivation is tough for me too. The depression comes and goes, and I usually just pig out then sleep it off. AA IS doing wonders for me though. The anxiety and depression are no where near what they used to ne.

So, besides continuing to work your program, see you Doctor. And I wouldn't suggest "helping" him, unless he asks.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never considered myself to be an opiate addict, though I've regularly used pills in conjunction with alcohol. I know it can take a while for your head to get back to normal. I was prescribed Wellbutrin but had an allergic reaction to it, so sadly I can't offer much input there. I've had very similar experiences with SSRIs, when I was prescribed Paxil several years ago the initial dosage I was placed on was entirely too much. I got that same tweaked out, crazy insomnia reaction. It turns out I was just particularly sensitive to it for whatever reason, when my dosage was bumped down it seemed to work relatively well for me. Lack of motivation and low-grade depression seem to go hand in hand, I think a lot of us go through that when we're sobering up... it's sad to realize how much time you've wasted! At any rate, talk to your doctor, give it a shot. Good luck Brett
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey GP ...

WHY I OUGHTA !!!

Naw ... of course ... you're right.

I often forget what my sponsor tells me (all the time), which goes something along these lines ...

"Hey, Brett? How about you just ... STFU ... and LISTEN. Because, for all your supposed 'brains', the reality of the situation is ... you don't know S**T, dude. Your BEST thinking is what got you where you are today."

You know what it IS? It's BIG PHARMA and Madison Avenue's fault!?! Yeah, their commercials are brainwashing me! ASK YOUR DOCTOR if <OUR MIRACLE DRUG> is RIGHT for YOU!!!"

Woo-hoo!

Anyways, I'm JUST TRYING TO GATHER EXPERIENCES WITH WELLBUTRIN HERE PEOPLE. I'm curious, on a scientific level, okay?

Let's just ... kinda ... ignore the Brett part of the equation, if we could? I appreciate all your advice, and it's all good. Not denying that.

That being said, I will for my part ... continue doing the next right thing, one day at a time, putting one in front o the other, handing it over to HP, all that good stuff.

Easy does it!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
(although I was taking AN SSRI for about 4 months straight - and I was just following 'behind' my friend, who WAS switching per a doctors orders as HE tried to find 'the right one', which for him has been Effexor for many many years now).

Ok, fair enough.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not to de-rail the thread, but your sponsor comment hit home. I can relate.

I told him I had a resentment against my ex. She wouldn't (or couldn't) hold a steady job, and was on state disability for being "Bi-Polar". I was convinced she was faking it, just trying to get out of work. You know what he said ? Yup. "I don't see a Doctorate on your wall...."

Actually, a good AA freind of mine is on an AD of sorts. I'll ask him wjich one when I see him. I have no first hand experience with ADs, save for chasing them with Vodka and wondering why I was depressed all the time
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Friggin SPONSORS, man!

Always all fu**ing ...

RIGHT

and s**t!!!