Notices

Here goes...

Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here goes...

I didn't think I'd ever be here. I have a long history of alcoholism in my family and having watched what it's done to my fathers life, I've always told myself that I'd never go down that path. I am going down that path. I'm thankful that I'm realizing this while I'm still young (22). I'm so far from where I want to be in my life and I know that I can't ever get there if I'm not sober, so I guess this is the first step. It's difficult for me to take my problem seriously, especially when I have so many people in my life with substance abuse problems much worse then mine. I'm afraid, I don't know how to live without alcohol. I just came out of a long term relationship and I feel very alone. Coming here is such a huge step for me (I've spent all morning preparing myself for this post), it's time for me to be real with myself. Thank you for reading.

Bob
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bob! Welcom to SR!! I'm glad you found us.

You can do it!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Bob...Glad you are here.
I remember my first post. I was so nervous. But after that it was cake.
Good for you for bing aware especally so young.
It can be done and the sooner the better.
Thinking of you.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcome_signs_62.gif (26.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Bob, welcome to SR, glad you're here.

Many people don't make it into recovery until later in life (I'm 43), and many never make it at all. It is possible to live without alcohol, in fact it's much more fulfilling and enriching to live life clean and sober. It does take work, but it's well worth the effort.

Don't drink, keep posting here, and try to get some help. This is not a job to attempt by yourself, and help is freely available to anyone who desires it. Have you considered AA?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Bob,

I'm glad that you are here. I wish that I found recovery when I was younger..things would be very different.

Don't worry so much bout the others...do what you need to do.

AA is a big help to me..have you thought about hitting up a meeting?

Karen
Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

hey bob,

i'm 22 also, so i know whatcha mean about getting real with yourself, even at a young age. both my parents are alcoholics, and both are in recovery. in fact, my mom took me to my very first aa meeting... awww... for real though, the aa scene has helped me so much, because i didn't know what to do with myself sober, esp. being so young. i also ended a two year relationship right when i got sober, so i was all over the place, and aa helped me learn how to live like a human. anyway, if you ever wanna talk or whatevs, you can message me here. and if not, no worries. just keep coming back, and be as open minded as you can. you'll be amazed!

good luck!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bob,

Welcome!

Your words hit home with me because my mother was an alcoholic and I vowed never, ever to be like her. And, I didn't start drinking until I was in my mid-forties. But, I became an alcoholic almost right away. What I realized, after I stopped drinking, was that I had been following the wrong path. I had been focusing on 'not being like my mother', rather that on following my own path.

I'm so glad you found us and congratulations for making the decision to stop drinking.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Bob,

WELCOME!

You've found the right place.

Keep posting, we need you here.

Know why we need you?

Cause we can only keep what we have by giving it away.

I must join the chorus of people suggesting AA as program of recovery. Even if you're a die-hard agnostic like me, the point is HAVING A PROGRAM to follow, and readjusting your thinking processes. Go to a meeting tonight if you can. You'll come home knowing you just did the next right thing, I promise you that. And you'll start to learn there how to CONTINUE to keep doing the next right thing if you wanna stay sober, too.

Again, a hearty Welcome! Living sober only SEEMS like it's gonna be some big chore/task, but in reality, once you learn how to do it ONE DAY AT A TIME, as you will in AA/NA, it actually becomes considerably easier.

Brett
Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bob,

Welcome! I love your screen name!

Welcome to our recovery community - we do care! Please keep posting and help us get to know you.

Rowan
Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello Bob ..

Please read this link about alcoholism...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your warm welcome and words of encouragement
Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

End of day two. I got a phone call from a woman today who I dated for a while which ended on ambiguous terms. Exhilarating, but upsetting... all that's on my mind right now is my recovery... I want to talk to her about it but I don't feel like I should. She's sober and I feel like she would be a good person for me to be around right now but I also don't want to allow my recovery to depend on something unstable (like a romantic relationship) and I'm really in no condition to be around someone who I'm interested in romantically. Those sort of highs and lows can be such a trigger for me. So many of my friends are alcoholics, I don't have many people to talk to. I'm finding myself pretty down this evening, fighting hard not to drink. I'm glad I found this place, it's really helping me keep it together through this difficult time. I guess I should stop wallowing in self pity and go do something constructive. Thank you all and goodnight.

<3
Bob
Old 07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Hi Bob,
I am glad you found SR and it is good to hear that not only are you able to articulate what situation you are in but you are able to see triggers that cause your drinking or other addictive behavior. That's quite a feat for someone so new! I don't think I would confide too deeply in an unstable relationship. I know you need friends right now but if your sobriety will be in any way influenced by what she says or does, she isn't worth it and it can wait. We are here 24/7 for you to talk. Find a meeting if you can. You'll meet a lot of people just like you.