Notices

I'm So Screwed!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

I'm So Screwed!

I just got my credit report as part of fixing all the damage I did to my life as part of my recovery.

On it, is a freeze by the IRS for a debt claim totalling a little over $100,000 dollars.

No, that wasn't a typo, that said $100,000 dollars.

I think it's related to some stock accounts I ran through back a decade ago (my own, thank G-d!).

Does anyone have any idea who in the love of G-d I'd go to for advice on this? Is there any kind of NA related organization that might help me with this problem (obviously, my paying someone is an issue, I can't afford $100's of dollars for a lawyer right now!)

If I have to pay that kind of money to the IRS, I may as well solve the problem by moving to Mexico and changing my name to Pedro!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sav,

You can get through this!

I think you need a lawyer, whether or not you can afford one. Check around your city and see what kinds of resources you can find for someone like you who needs legal and financial advice at a low-cost. I would say it's obvious that you will be able to take care of this debt without some good advice and long-term planning.

But, you can do this.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anna is correct....
you need legal advice for this.

I too ran into something similar
but not Federal...
and contacted Ga. Legal Services
(Legal Aid in some states)

They gave me an out and for free.

Be calm Don't use See what is possible.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I agree..legal advice is the best way to go.
My gramps worked for the IRS for many years and they can take everything you own if they choose. You need to talk to a attorney and work an agreement as soon as possible.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

yeah legal advice and leave 'Pedro' behind
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Yoinks!

I guess so. This is the first time during all of this that I've run into something that seems so insurmountable that I can sit here and can't even think about it. It's just too huge to even grasp.
I think this is one of those cases where I'm going to try to not even think about this for a day or two. Good G-d, I don't know how I'm going to get to sleep with this on my mind tonight...
The one thing that keeps running through my mind is if I can't work this out, I've just become a huge financial liability to my wife. I'm even thinking about telling her if it doesn't work out, she might want to divorce me legally and we'll just "shack up", so to speak. She's got her own business she just started and she's starting to see some of her own success. This kind of thing can transfer to her and literally wipe her out.
Who ever said it gets easier...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dude, I've been avoiding the IRS for over 4 years, just dropped off the face of the earth basically...

I'm sure I owe, between state and fed, at least 10K in back taxes myself. Not quite so bad as yours, but still ... its enough to be very scary, esp. with whatever penalties are involved, I shudder to think ...

Sooner or later, gonna have to do the same type of reparations you're working on myself. My credit score is probably like -200 at this point ... 4.5 years ago, I was buying myself a condo with my 760 score, too... GOD do I wish I'd stayed 'in' instead of deciding I could handle being 'out', since I wasn't 'really an addict' back then...

I feel your pain.

But we all must remember this incredibly insightful tidbit of ancient wisdom:
There's nothing life can throw at you that can't be made MUCH WORSE by picking up ...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've owed the IRS, or at least they said I did, long story, ex didn't pay his so they got it from me several years after the divorce. . .

I know they, the IRS, can help you and you can fight it, you can have hearings on it and all that. You can show them that you dispute it and give them the proof. You can make payment arrangements or you can try an offer in compromise deal too.

If you are in recovery. . .then you are just dealing with more wreckage of your past??? Just be willing and see what happens. That's what my sponsor told me.

For what it's worth. . .The IRS was on my resentment list in a couple of my 4th steps!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Infernal Revenue Service

Yeah, I'm not to happy with it, but if I owe it, I owe it. It is my fault and doing, afterall, so I'm not going to blame them for it.

I guess a tax lawyer of some type will be the way to go. I know what I did back then, and not that I gave it much thought to it at the time, but I thought they automatically took taxes out on those kind of withdrawals.
I did talk to someone this morning after a fairly awful night (all of yesterday was awful...ever just have *one of those days*?) and he did say they will work with you, whatver that means. Once they hear you've done the kind of things addicts tend to go through, they try to work *with you* He said I could end up paying pennies on the dollar, if it's handled right.

I juist can' picture the I.R.S. as being an understanding and sympathetic institution. Maybe I'll get lucky and I'll get an auditor who will look and act exactly like my grandmother, right down to the milk and cookies!

Maybe...?

No?

*sigh*

Ah well... I think right now... I'll make myself a sandwich! And feed some to my cats. At least they'll get something out of all this!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe the IRS would rather have something than nothing. My dad died, leaving my mom holding the IRS bill, so to speak. She was living on social security only but they worked with her and set up payments that she could afford. I hope it works out for you. Even though your situation is not funny, I see with the Pedro comment that you do have a sense of humor. Marle
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi,

My ex and I didn't calculate well when we first bought our house. Taking out the 401K money for a big downpayment pushed us over into the next tax bracket for the year. We owed them 10,000. They, quite nicely, allowed us to make monthly payments which were affordable. They will work with you. Doesn't the BB say that once you come clean with your creditors, they usually are more than willing?

Big hugs

Karen
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Dude, I've been avoiding the IRS for over 4 years, just dropped off the face of the earth basically...

I'm sure I owe, between state and fed, at least 10K in back taxes myself. Not quite so bad as yours, but still ... its enough to be very scary, esp. with whatever penalties are involved, I shudder to think ...

Sooner or later, gonna have to do the same type of reparations you're working on myself. My credit score is probably like -200 at this point ... 4.5 years ago, I was buying myself a condo with my 760 score, too... GOD do I wish I'd stayed 'in' instead of deciding I could do it by myself, since I wasn't 'really an alcoholic' back then...

I feel your pain.

But we all must remember this incredibly insightful tidbit of ancient wisdom:
There's nothing life can throw at you that can't be made MUCH WORSE by drinking ...
My story, almost exactly, with changes in bold......

My sponsor says don't take the offer and compromise route. He says that that's based on now, and our earning capicity (therefore ability to pay) might increase in the future.

All I know is it's in Gods hands, I have no control over it.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

What a long strange trip...

So I talked to a tax attorney today.

He told me not to panic, that the lein amount of $105,069 is not reflective of what I owe. He said the problem is getting the original documentation...which is from over 15 years ago (why'd they wait till now? Government is sloooow!!!).

The actual amount owed is the "Profit" from the purchase. The lein on total amount is because I didn't file then (haven't regularly) and it's their way of saying;

"We really, really want to talk to you!!!"

IRONICALLY, he says that if I can get the documentation...since I sold at an overall loss... that the IRS could end up owing ME money!!!

Which I pointed out they'd probably snatch back in the form of late filing fees and whatnot...
But initial estimates from memory show a surplus in my favor (if I did this right, mind ain't what it used to be) of nearly $10,000.

So I went to bed $105,069 in the hole, and woke up $10,000 richer! (well, in theory)

Of course, if I can't get the proof, then it's up in the air what they'll do. And all my accounts are frozen till I work it out.

My poor heart...what's a tired ol' ex-addict to do??? I don't like rollercoasters one bit!

Last edited by Sav; 07-17-2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Usually the situation is way more screwed up in your head as your thinking snowballs and your avoidance grows.
Learning to deal directly and quickly is the way to live life. You gave us a good example of this. Oh the wreckage...slowly + steadily
Old 07-17-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Originally Posted by Spritual Seeker View Post
Usually the situation is way more screwed up in your head as your thinking snowballs and your avoidance grows.
Learning to deal directly and quickly is the way to live life. You gave us a good example of this. Oh the wreckage...slowly + steadily

Yeah, there's an old saying I try to go by...

When it hurts, laugh 'till you cry...then cry 'till you laugh again.

I can't know how much sense it makes, but it seemed appropriate at the time.