Notices

Question about mood swings

Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about mood swings

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify for myself if mood swings are normal in the early part of recovery? I know they are but I need to hear it, so I feel there will be hope for me to get over this addiction once and for all because I truly cannot live with this depression. Even the medicine isn' t helping. I know I had a good weekend with not drinking, but today is just the opposite. I feel as if I'm losing my mind. I feel so BLUE today and would love to have some wine. Today is day 9 for me and it's getting harder.

Thanks for listening,
Theresa
Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time so far! If you're taking anti-depressants, and they aren't working, the best option is to mention that to your doctor ASAP. The first two weeks into sobriety can be very difficult.

Mood swings are fairly common and normal as your mind and body heal. In fact, I've been rather moody myself.

Hang on!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Great job on 9 days!!! Thats is fantastic!!
I think mood swings are common. Just think. All them chemicals working their way out and your body and brain are coping without alcohol.
It is to be expected.
Definately talk to your dr about maybe changing your meds.
I am on an emotional rollercoaster too.
Just hang in there and it will eventually pass. But drinking again is just going to put you back at square one and then you will have to go throug all of this again.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mood swings? Oh my goodness yes!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
believer

yep...but i think it just takes a little time for everything to fall into place...

stay strong!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Theresa,

Yes, mood swings are part of early recovery. You will get used to your emotions and how to handle them.

You said the meds are not working. I assume those are meds for depression? They usually take a couple of weeks to begin working. Has it been that long? If not, hang in there. If you really don't think the meds are working, you can always talk to your dr, because there are many other options for medication for depression.

Don't think that you will have to live in the darkness indefintely. You can do this!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

congrats on your sobriety time. be grateful for all your feelings. blessings, k
Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Overheard in the rooms of AA

"The good news is you get your feelings back. The bad news is you get your feelings back"

Yes, it's quite normal. A good recovery program lessens the ups and downs, and teaches you how to just let the feelings wash over you so you can walk out the other side. I've also learned that feelings aren't facts.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Congrats!

It sounds like you're doing pretty good, all things considered!

You have to remember that you've been using alchohol to "numb" yourself. It's also been acting as a "first wall of mental defense".
All the things in life that people normally deal with on a daily basis, go though, and (hopefully!) gain emotional maturity from, you've been drinking to numb and lessen the emotional impact from.

So of course you're having mood swings. You're having to do all that with a whole wall of defense ripped away. So you're normal "being" is having a hard time coping.

I've said before that we effectively stop "maturing" at the time we start using. From the time we stop, we have to learn to cope with being our physical age, while having an emotional maturity that is only developed up to the point we started using.
And considering what we did at that point, none of us were very capable of coping!
So yes, you will have mood swings. Even after the chemical effects have passed out of your body. But I think we all have an advantage in some way over "normal" people. We've been through such hell, and seen ourselves at our lowest (as well as the rest of the world!).
I like to think that from all the awfulness of the ruin of addiction, we can achieve a state of grace from the insight we gain of ourselves in order to become sober.
And from that, we can find an emotional wisdom most people never achieve.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hello.

Mood swings are definitely a part of early recovery.

As Anna shared..it takes time for psychotropic meds to take effect...

anywhere from 7 to 28 days or so.

Important..tell your doctor if you begin to have ANY form of suicidal thoughts.

Welcome back..Bymyself.

I am so glad you are trying again...congrats on 9 days!

Love,

IO
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. Sav, what you said about that we don't grow emotionally when we start using/drinking. I was 12 years old when I started drinking and I'm now 39 years old. I have alot of years to catch up on.

I went to my first outpatient meeting this evening and I was so nervous for nothing. It was very informative. I will definately take the advice and use it in my life to work through this.

Take Care,
Theresa
Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm still experiencing some major mood swings, Theresa, and I've been sober a while. The only difference is that I don't automatically want a drink anymore, and I've learned to cope a little better.
GP mentioned that feelings are not facts, and he's right on the money. They sure feel factual when we are experiencing them, though!
Hang in there, though, it gets better for sure. Well done on sticking with it!

Rowan
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

I have mood swings a lot and I have 28 days today. I get them seemingly at the drop of a hat and they are hard to get through, especially the depression. I am not taking any anti-depressants or anything like that but I just try to wade through my feelings, talk about it, call my sponsor, etc. until I can get through it. They do pass!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't have much to add to the above, great info, but no matter how down I am when I go to a meeting, I always feel better leaving.

Congrats on the nine days. Keep posting, weare here for you.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

mood swings - hoo boy yeah.

people talked to me in teh beginning about 'the pendulum' ...I remember saying at one point ..."pendulum??? I'm pulling G's here!"

big problems at work - I'd be 'zen mother' .. get a hang nail - or even try to watch an episode of ER -I'd freak out...

please try and trust when I say ... It settles. It gets better. Give the body time to heal. That's all it is. The body is just attempting to function without its anesthetic, is all.

hang in there and congrats!!