New Here, need advice to help husband understand ACOA

Old 05-21-2003, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ginger

New Here, need advice to help husband understand ACOA

Hi Everyone,
I'm so glad I found this board! I am an ACOA, both parents. I'm married to a wonderful man, 2 years now. He has no alcoholism in his family, that we know of. He has a real hard time understanding my family and some of my acoa issues. He's very smart and reads a lot. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a book or two that might enlighten him a little more. (He's so new to this, he thinks that if I only spent more time with my parents, they'd reduce their drinking, LOL!) Any advice would be appreciated!

Peace,
Ginger

Old 05-21-2003, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Ginger,

Welcome to the forum.

This is the book I started with. I had it on tape and it was very good. I can't find the audio tapes, but I did find the book. Hope it helps.

Hugs,
MG

Facing Codependence : What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
by Pia Mellody (Author), Andrea Wells Miller (Author)

Old 05-21-2003, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome!

Another one that I am reading right now is "Codependence: Dance of the Wounded Souls" by Robert Burney

Melody Beattie is also a good choice. her writing is aimed at Alanon and codependency but it would show why "spending more time" with them would not solve the problem.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sad Spouse

Ginger, my H is an ACOA and we are going through a terrible time right now. A book my husband is reading that I also have taken the time to read most of is "The Complete ACOA Sourcebook: Adult Children of Alcoholics at Home, at Work and in Love" by Janet Woititz. For the spouse of the ACOA the section "Intimacy Struggle" is VERY VERY informative.

NJB
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ginger
Hi Everyone,
I'm so glad I found this board! I am an ACOA, both parents. I'm married to a wonderful man, 2 years now. He has no alcoholism in his family, that we know of. He has a real hard time understanding my family and some of my acoa issues. He's very smart and reads a lot. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a book or two that might enlighten him a little more. (He's so new to this, he thinks that if I only spent more time with my parents, they'd reduce their drinking, LOL!) Any advice would be appreciated!

Peace,
Ginger
Welcome Ginger!
I, too, am an ACOA and am reading "It'll Never Happen TO Me" by Claudia Black.
It pretty much outlines what it is like to grow up in these homes, whether one or both parents are alcoholic.
Maybe, too, he'd be willing to go to an Alanon meeting to listen to those who share their stories? That is always enlightening too.
Best of luck to you!!!

CN
Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Um, I'm not sure "Ginger" is still here, as her original post was from 2003 and there's no post count listed...