Notices

Can someone please explain?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Can someone please explain?

I just dont want to believe it or I dont get it.
Why is my addiction a Disease?
Can someone please explain this to me?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA believe it is a disease, some people dispute that. It's because some people DNA, body system, etc. are more prone to addiction. It could run in your family, your ethnic group, etc. It is similar to an allergy, cancer, heart disease. Everyone is different on what they can and cannot handle. Also, when you throw in the mix social background, family, trauma in your life, etc. Alcohol and drugs can be something someone uses to medicate themselves and escape the pain.

Congrats on becoming sober.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess addiction is a disease...its an excuse I think..Choice really does play a big role. if people really want to quit, they can quit. Im not sure though.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've heard it's a chemical imbalance - and probably coupled with some psychological stuff to - maybe?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Short answer: it's chronic, it's progressive, and it's fatal, but it's 100% treatable, depending upon our level of willingness.

And what does it really matter if it's a disease? If we get to the point that it's caused us (and those around us) enough problems, the only reason I can think of to deny the disease concept, or get up in arms about it, is if we still have that crazy idea that we can someday use again without consequences.

Until I could accept that I can't drink or use without consequences, I couldn't start working with what I had left.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Addiction is a brain disease that develops over time as a result of behavior of using drugs - (Drugs include alcohol.) Initially the behaviour of using drugs is voluntary. What happens is virtually uncontrollable compulsive drug craving. It interferes with or destroys a persons functioning.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A disease does not have to be passed on to others like a virus, bacteria or other infectious diseases, to be considered a disease. It can be congenital, in other words something you are born with, or born with a predisposition to, such as diabetes, MS, hodgkin's, etc. I believe addictions fit into the 2nd category.

Now the extent to which the diseases' symptoms manifest themselves are largely influenced by our environment and actions. If I never drank I would never have become addicted to alcohol. I also agree wholeheartedly with Sugah that addiction is 100% treatable by abstinence. Similarly, other diseases are treatable with diet and/or proper use of drugs.

Here is a reference from dictionary.com, I suggest you read it:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disease

I think if you look at this honestly, there is no way you can logically come to the conclusion that addiction is anything other than a disease.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Almost thirty years ago, my nephew mailed me an article that stated the AMA had accepted alcoholism/addiction as a disease...I wondered why he thought I would be interested...but, he had been in AA a couple of years and knew what it took me a few more years to accept. When the AMA finally recognized alcoholism/addiction as a disease, it became possible for me (and millions like me) to seek medical help and rehabilitation. The disease concept makes perfect sense to me.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what you call it Chiy. It's going to kill you or put you in jail, that's all you need to know for now.

I don't take a on what to call it. I'm pretty sure it's hereditary though.