Notices

Quitting cigs tomorrow.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Quitting cigs tomorrow.

I have never tried to quit smoking. I am a monster without my smokes.
But my pockets cant afford it and my lungs cant handle it anymore. I have more inhalers than I'd like.'
I have a script for Chantix. My Dr says it has a high success rate.
So we will see.
I have 1 square left. I am going to make it last for the night. I only smoke half at a time anyway.
Oh boy!!
If I can quit cigarettes..I can quit anything.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Quitting smoking is a good idea.

Sometimes it seems to work for people if they quit alcohol/drugs and smoking at the same time.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup I quit cigs when I went to rehab 3 years ago.

A guy in a meeting said yesterday that he had two sponsees who were trying to quit - one with the patch, the other through Zyban. He smokes himself, but decided that he was 'just going to make his mind up to quit' - so he tossed them. The sponsees keep going back to the smoking, but he hasn't. That's what it was like for me. I just made up my mind, that was it, and it was.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

On the flipside of all the above, don't mean to be so negative but it is great if you want to try it and you succeed. Some people have all they can do to stay sober in early recovery...I am one of those.

Wishing you the best.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit coffee and smokes at the same time almost 2 years ago. It was kinda rough. I thought I would NEVER give up my java.

Best of Luck!! Buy some black licorice bites and carry some with you. They'll help fight urges.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Nicotine patches helped me a LOT. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Chiynita,
Congratulations on your resolve!
I quit smoking after 36 years, too many inhalors, too much money and, at my worst, 3 1/2 packs a day.

You CAN do this.

I used the patch, zyban, group smoke cessation counseling, telephone counseling from the Lung Association, the gum, (when I was driving), and behavior modification. Whenever I got an urge, I did something different. It didn't matter what - I changed what I was doing.

Make plans for those times you KNOW you'll want one. You know, on the phone, after eating, with your morning coffee, driving. And while you're on the phone, hold it in the other hand than what you normally do. Dring tea instead of coffee for a while. Brush your teeth immediately after eating. Drive a differnt way to work, the store, etc.....
What all this does is keep us from acting without thought. It keeps us mindfull of our desire to quit.

So, you need to do whatever it takes, is my point!

Come see us in the nicotine forum. You'll see a thread about chantrix. And join in our daily check in. It helps to be held accountable.

Finally, (and I know you didn't ask for this all, so, I really hope you don't mind me sharing what worked for me... ), if you do have a slip, it's not the end of the world. But, remember, having one makes it easier to justify the next....and your goal is to quit. So, if it happens, get RIGHT back up on that horse again and reach for the GOLD! You DESERVE IT!!!
Keep the quit and post before you puff!
(See do something different! :>) )

Shalom!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oh, yea, it's been One year, seven months, two weeks, two days, 15 hours, 9 minutes and 20 seconds since I've had a cigarette!
That means I haven't smoked 23745 cigarettes and saved $6,529.49.
The amount of my life saved is 11 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I soooo admire you!! Good luck!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chiyn,
The Chantix worked for me. It's been seven weeks with no cravings or mood swings. I followed the directions exactly...Picked a quit date out one week ahead, take as prescribed for one week and continue to smoke if you wish, then at the beginning of the second week I stopped just like it said to do. I had tried everything under the sun for the last forty years and never had this kind of result, but only time will tell after the Chantix runs out of my system
Ironically it seemed to decrease my alcohol cravings as well, and what do you know, I'm just starting to see news articles that talk about Chantix (Varenicline) being looked at for it's possible additional use as aid to overcome alcohol addiction.
Wouldn't that be a nice easy solution to all of this.
Good luck to you,
John
Old 07-15-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok I quit now. No more cigs and took my first pill. Being on the computer is when I smoke the most. Got rid of the ashtrays and lighters. I just cant breathe anymore. I hate the coughing and stuff.
I hope this works.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Frozen ice treat or Mr. Freezes, even frozen fruits, the coldness numbs your tastebuds and stops the carving, and lets not forget it is a whole lot healthier the potato chips and choc. bars. When you wake up in the morning, notice the difference in your morning breath, sounds gross but believe me, a smokers morning breath is worse...come to think of it notice your breath al the time...take notice of smokers breath...GROSS and the smell of their clothes and just think you smell nice now and not like an ashtray. These are the little things I think about when I'm having a craving or give myself a pat on the back for making it to 9 weeks. Good Luck!!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Freezy pops...I can deal with that. Hope I dont gain weight. Last thing I need is to get fatter.