View Poll Results: Do you work outside the home?
Yes, full-time
71.85%
Yes, part-time
11.85%
No
16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Are you financially independent?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are you financially independent?

And if not, why not? I have been reading some interesting stuff in the Sunday papers about this issue and would be interested to see what the situation is elsewhere.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Is there a "usually but not at the moment" selection?

I know, I make everything complicated
Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heh!! After I submitted, I realised I feel into exactly that category!!! Trust me not to include myself. And I can't seem to edit the poll - sorry.

I am still financially independent, tho, cos I have built up some savings, so don't need to rely on anyone else (or the State) to cover my bills.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About half the time I have a job. The other half I'm living off my insurance company cuz I've had surgery or some other medical misunderstanding. Some times the insurance company changes their mind and I have to dig into my savings. So I guess my answer is "Yes, whenever I am able"

Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've put a yes down, given that that is my usual state of affairs. I have just been made redundant (by my Dad!) because the company has closed, but I will be looking for a full-time job once I have done a big sailing trip in August.

I understand that there are many different permutations and I could never include them all in a poll.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Yes I am , full time and loving it baby!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup!! I got me a big league CAREER,,he,he,he!!Actually, just started a new job where I feel like I won the lottery!! Can't beleive someone would pay me that much to have so much FUN!!!

But I also work part time too

And you'll NEVER guess what it is?

I work as a bartender for my friend who owns a restaunt/pub.

Interesting story bout her. She was a prosecuter for a long time. Got burnt out and bought the restraunt. I guess drunks are better than felons,,he,he,he

So what are you reading minnie? In the sunday paper that is?

Peace
Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a tear

Weird... I read "financially independent" to mean wealthy, or something.

I've always worked (first parttime job outside the home at 11), but never have had any "money". My first savings account is this year. Everything up until today has been paycheck to paycheck.

I work full time and have had a second parttime job about 2/3 of my adult life... usually to be able to afford the "extras" (like I taught aerobics to get a free fitness membership).

Financially independent might mean for me to reach the point where I work only because I enjoy what I am doing... not because I "have" to.

And I am also interested in what you've been reading, Minnie .... any helpful hints?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I am in the same catecory as WantsOut "usually but not at the moment" I'm taking a couple of yrs. off to do other things which answers the question, yes I am financially independent. I've worked hard, planned well, made good decisions to be financially savvy. Now I reap the benefits.
Minnie, this is an interesting question. What impressions are you getting from the replies?????
Old 07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I knew I had to start making a life for myself when I realized a few months back that there was NO WAY I was going to let STBXABF into my life on a permanent basis until he gave up alcohol forever. I can't make him do that (or anything else) but I can start taking more responsibility for my own financial security. So........I applied for training certification in the legal field and just found out today that I have been ACCEPTED! I'm no spring chicken and this new career path is a complete change from what I was doing but I will get through because I want to.

We can't take anything for granted nowadays!

ARL
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Financially independant....???? hhmmmm.....well, I am not sure how to answer this depending on what you really mean by it.... do all my bills get paid...??? well, not all at once... eventually they do. I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes not even that. I run short in the month and have to borrow....so I guess my answer is NO.

I am a school bus driver working for the local school district. I get paid once a month and making it stretch throught the whole month has been quite difficult for me. I make good money but it is not always what you call full time hours. Our schedule varies which make it very hard for me to even think about getting a second part time job. I have too many years vested to just wuit and find something else....not to mention that I am trained for anything else. My retirement and medical is all through the district.....so it doesn't make sense for me to leave it. But the cost of living in this area is very high......and moving out fo the area at this time is not an option.

Currantly to keep ends somewhat meeting....lol...I still share an apt. with my daughter father (we are not together) and all the utilities. I am making payments to him for the car I drive and insurance. We share expenses on our daughter's day care and other things.....although he makes more money and is mainly responsible for her food and clothes (except I end up being the "mother" and buying her clothes....to which he occassionally pays me back for) and other activities like soccer and stuff. But any car repairs I am responsible for and I currantly ahve some that need to be done but can't because I can't afford to and still pay my bills....so they have to wait until I have extra.

I would like to some day be out on my own; in my own place I mean....but like I said the cost of living...the rents... are high here.

Does that answer anything for you......and what have you been reading??
Old 07-15-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

The average family, husband & wife aged 30-50 have approx $10,000 saved. It is not necessarily how much we earn, it's how we manage our income, that is the missing link.

We, today, have the most disposable income that we have ever had, unfortunately, we spend more than we earn, we want everything now, today, not tomorrow.

So financial security is not just all about having a job, it really is what we do with the money we earn.

There are only two ways to earn money, go to work, or let your investments earn money for you. There is no magic formula.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Absolutely. I'm very good at taking care of myself financially. Always have been. And with the help of SR, I'm learning how to take care of my emotional and physical needs as well. And doing quite well in that respect, too.

I've stressed the importance of financial independence on this forum many times previously. If more women were financially independent, they wouldn't have to endure such poor treatment from their partners nor suffer from such intolerable lives.

I think one of the greatest mistakes women make (strictly from a financial standpoint) is to sacrifice their careers in favor of being stay-at-home moms. It leaves them completely dependent on their partner.

Just curious, Minnie, why are you asking this particular question?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am fully self supporting through my own contributions.

Like Big Sis, I thought Financially Independant meant I don't have to go to work every day, so I voted no.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

If I have a dollar in my pocket or 1,000, it doesn't matter.
Every day I find that my needs are met. If I strive after material things... I find that I add frustration into my life. If I don't need it...why strive to get it?
Keep it simple are words we see and hear so often.

Peanutbutter and jelly will fill my belly just as good or maybe even better then the best steak available in the market. How many people eat mac and cheese because they like it vs how may eat it because it cost less? I know people with savings accounts that are full and they still sit down to enjoy mac and cheese.

I have what money can't buy... Contentment.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I no longer work a job, but thanks to AH's workaholism and divorcing me, I guess I qualify as "financially independent", if you want to put it that way. I'm counting on it,at least! Long story,but that's the bottom line.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Finally gettin it

I am retired..receive a small retirement check of a little over $1,000/mo. That will change when I turn 62 next year. I will lose $300/mo and will start to draw SS. I don't think I am financially independent. I live with my AH and he is also retired, and drawing SS. We have some savings, not that much by today's standards. I would love to work PT, but have not had much luck finding work that I am able to do. I answered NO to the survey
Old 07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, but I work in the home.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Hmmm...If I lived in Iowa, I'd be financially okay. But living in NYC...

I'll say yes, even though I'm in between jobs right now. Hopefully it won't be one of those year long un-employment stretches that are so common here (everywhere???). I've got enough saved for a couple of months, but then... I'll have to start the "financial inventive" part of this series!

As to which of the three (counsler, etc...) none of the above.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have supported myself since I was 18. I am now middle-aged and going to school full time after getting laid off from my job. i am now living on my savings and financial aid for school. It is a stuggle. i have always lived paycheck to paycheck. I hope that more schooling will help me earn a better income, in addition to a more fulfilling job.

Why are you asking?