editorial from 7/8/1922, 85 yrs ago, trying to change Her

Old 07-14-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
Post editorial from 7/8/1922, 85 yrs ago, trying to change Her

from the Pgh Press

In a Pittsburgh apartment early yesterday morning a prohibition enforcement officer from Ohio, who has been living here for a few months, shot and instantly killed his wife, and then put a bullet through his own head with the same result. Investigation showed that before doing the shooting he had taken poison, in the determination that there should be no "slip-up" but that it should be a "clean job."
While spending the night waiting for his wife to come home from a social call downtown, he wrote out an account of his troubles with her, attaching a record of the early-morning hours at which she returned from these downtown visits. Perhaps the sentence that will oftenest come back to the reader of this strange farewell message is this: "I married her to reform her."
Women often marry men to reform them, but it is doubtful if men marry for such a purpose. One reason why they don't is that there are far fewer women to reform. Another reason is that a man who marries a bad woman is just as likely not to marry her for the sole reason that she is bad and her badness attracts him. Psychologists will not only achnowledge such a possibility but will go further and say that there is a streak of primitive savagery and badness in nearly all of us.
Let all that be as it may, reforming a wife is no mere husband's job. John Wesley seeing a drunkard staggar by remarked: "There, but for the grace of God, goes John Wesley." To change inborn tendencies in a man or woman is God's business, and He usually begins five or six generations back.

Read this while at a coffee shop, this morning, interesting
Old 07-14-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To change inborn tendencies in a man or woman is God's business
Amen to that.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

I second that Glass