Harry Potter

Old 07-11-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Harry Potter

Saw Harry Potter today. Good story, though 17 year old daughter was disappointed cause it didn't follow the book exactly. I thought it was good.

I don't go to the movies much and now I know why. There was a family there with 2 children under the age of 2 that cried off and on through the whole movie. I guess the parents wanted to see the movie and couldn't get a babysitter? Instead of getting up and taking them out of the theater, they just kept saying sshhhhhh.

Am I old and cranky, or would that ruin it for anyone else. I guess I'm getting old and grumpy. Just venting here.

P.S. I love kids and have 3 of my own, but there is a time and a place.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have a new cinema opening that doesn't allow children under a certain age except on certain days...It's called Cinnebar. Given that we have quite a few cinemas that have no age restrictions, I kinda like this idea. http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200770705051
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I am all for not taking little ones to the theatre. People can not expect a 2 or 3 year old to sit perfectly still in the same chair for 2 hours.
It's wrong to force them to do so.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I heard that in some movie theaters they are trying a new device where people can quietly alert the manager if someone is disruptive in the movie (cell phone, crying baby etc.) I don't know what it is these days where lots of people think it is perfectly acceptable to let their children cry and be disruptive at a public performance of any kind or a restaurant. It's disgraceful. Almost like they can't be bothered to discipline their child. My mom would've taken me to the car.....and you KNOW what that entails!!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how the parents (who were definitely there for the movie) could enjoy it trying to keep them quiet. It was really weird and strange. Why didn't they just wait for the video? Even my daughter was annoyed. (Actually she was more annoyed than I was).

Abtch: That is a great idea! Movies are expensive now, and to miss half of the dialogue isn't right.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that parents should not take toddlers to movies, but the other thing that gets on my nerves is when there's a group of preteens or teens in the theater on their phones, playing musical chairs (or even musical theaters), and just being obnoxious... so distracting.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I saw it today as well, took my grandson, good movie and we too had crying babies
Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The movie is PG13, and it is intense. I would think it would frighten the real little ones.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I don't have children because it looked like an awful lot of committment and work to me.... and I really hate the whole "screaming kids" thing. I know it happens.. and often occurs when the word "no" is a complete sentence.. and I know that kids have to learn.....

But, Dang it, teach it to them BEFORE bringing them on the plane or train or bus and if they are too young to learn or stay quiet for any duration, leave them home or stay home yourself!

When I ride the train I have found that when someone with young children arrives the best thing to do is move to a different CAR.. that is from way too many times not moving. In a plane or a bus you are trapped.

I have walked out of restaurants without finishing my meal due to screaming childern (paid my bill and left no tip and the food half eaten and stated the reason upon departure.. may not be fair to the waitress but that is life.. I do not tip for a miserable experience!).

I have photographed many a wedding and have seen children.. very young children like age 2-4.. wander off from their parents at the reception because the parents did not make other arrangements.. and heck.. they can't watch junior bcause they are busy having a good time with friends and drinking (am I the only one on earth who thinks that children do not belong at adult parties where there is drinking?). I rescued a child once from a parking lot and another time from near a fountain. The ring bearer and the Flower girl, if underage, really do NOT need to be at the reception party!

There are places where children should go and should be welcome and other places where they need to be old enough to go... and their parents need to be aware of the difference!!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

LOL. As the mom of a three year old boy, I have to weigh in. My son was not allowed to go to the movies until his 3rd birthday and still not allowed at anything but a children's movie. (I do not consider Harry Potter appropriate for children under age 8 ish).

I also will say that it is much better for the CHILD to hit a matinee then try to take them to an evening show when their energy and patience is low. I think kids under age 8 should not go to the theatre after 5 pm, unless they are a-typical kids (can sit still, behave, be quiet etc.)

However, if adults choose to go to a kids movie, especially during the day, they should understand that kids will, in fact, be there, and also, acting like kids. But just during the day!

If my kid was freaking out and crying, I'd take him outside til he calmed down. No punishment required, he's just being a kid, but in order to not disturb others, I'd take him out. (side.)
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was actually at a 3:30 matinee, but these weren't kids they were babies. I don't even think they were old enough to know that they had to be quiet in a theater. Like I said, the parents were obviously there for the movie, and when you watch a movie like Harry Potter you have to pay attention or you will miss something. I don't know how they got the jist of the movie.

I haven't been to the movies since the last Harry Potter, so I'm kind of new to the experience anymore. I guess this is how it is, and I'll go back to what I've been doing, renting.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Kids under the age of 2, if not 3, shouldn't go to a movie theatre. It's too long to sit for a toddler.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

very rude of the parents.never should they have sat there.i would have gotten upset as expensive as it is to go to the movies. sorry u had to endure that..