I love my sister!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love my sister!

My sister, a former prescription drug abuser, was clean for 5 years and then had to have an operation and now she is having a very difficult time getting off the pain meds. She asked me to go stay with her for a week to help her detox at home. I will do anything I can to help her. I would appreciate any information from anyone else who has done this for a loved one.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Tracee

Tracee:

Thanks for the information. She said that a doctor is working with her. Once I get there I will have a better idea of what I am working with. I appreciate your response - every bit helps!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

I vote with Tracee - under a doctor's (direct) supervision... all may go well, but how might you feel if it doesn't?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The surgeon can refer her to pain management. It is not uncommon after surgery.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R.......
in my opinion i think you need to talk to her sister & let him know what is going on.i thnk she needs professional help with this. i am glad your sister confided in you.i am saying a prayer for you & her.let us know the out come of this .we care.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending some prayers your way. Your sister is lucky to have you. But it may be better if your sister does this inpatient detox. Also I don't know if I have welcomed you before, but welcome to SR. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're a great sis to be there for her...I hope the doctor will meet with you both so you will have a clearer understanding....
I know there are some mild medications doctors can prescribe to help with the withdrawal and the lack of sleep, etc. My daughter needed more help than this, but when she first told me she was addicted and wanted me to be there for her when she tried at home detox, I found a heating pad, a lot of funny DVD's to take the mind somewhere else and just lots of loving support were helpful...But I think that is more about the psychological part rather than the physical.

Wishing you both the best!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi QMama and welcome to SR. Please let us know how things are going.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who are so supportative - truly makes a difference. I talked to my sister and told her that it might be best if she had someone more experienced to help her and that I would still be by her side but she said that she knows without a doubt that we can both do it together. I'm going to need all the prayers I can get! Luckily she hasn't been on the hydrocone long so I'm hoping that makes a difference too. All I want to know is, am I stupid to go a head with it?????
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I can only speak of detoxing my son from heroin at home. He watched tv to try and keep his mind off things but mostly he tried to sleep. It didn't come easy because of the "creepy crawlies" he felt on his skin and the aches in his legs, but he came through the detox just fine.
good luck
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love my sister - she's clean 10 days now

I'm back from helping my sister detox. The first few days were hard on her but thankfully her doctor gave her something so she could sleep. Once the "creepy crawly" stage hit, I'd rub her feet, legs and back and that seemed to help. I attended both NA and AA meetings with her every night - I was uplifted by the strength of those in recovery. I hated to leave her but my life must keep going on and I have other responsibilities. Thanks again to all those who supported me with their encouragement. My prayers are with my sister and all of your loved ones working on keep themselves free from their drug bondage.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You may have just helped your sister more than you could imagine... It's amazing how much better my sister is doing, now that she has been sober long enough to know that there are people who stand behind her efforts to stay clean

I am so glad she made it through those first few days, and I am even more glad that she has someone like you who cares that much about her recovery.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

your sister is lucky to have you. blessings, k