Perspective

Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perspective

I have had the most amazing day today.

I went here http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/theforbiddencorner/ with a group of kids from Belarus through this charity http://www.chernobylchildlifeline.org/section.asp?id=18

Their country was affected by the fallout from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 and the land will be contaminated for thousands of years. The food they eat and the water they drink is all affected and many children who were not even born then are being harmed on a daily basis. Spending a month in the UK extends their life by up to two years, because it gives their immune systems a boost to be able to eat uncontaminated food and breath fresh air. They also get free sight tests and glasses if they need them, medical checks, new clothes and toys.

These kids don't really have a chance. Life expectancy in their country is about 48 and their own government doesn't have the resources to help. Wages are phenonenally low (doctors earn about $20 a month) and many people are surviving on boiled potatoes only. The international community, particularly Russia (of which Belarus was once a part) and Ukraine (where the reactor is situated) have forgotten them. They people are simply resigned to their fate and do the best they can. They don't dwell on the situation - they take each day as it comes and make their lives the best they can within their means.

These kids were amazing. Polite, well behaved (and totally showed up the British school parties for the hooligans they are), yet still able to be kids and in thrall of the sights and experiences they witnessed today. And every single one came up to the adults at the end of the day to say thank you and give us a hug. Unprompted.

Marsha and Tania, you are my inspiration. They were my allocated girls for the day and they were unbelievable. We had no common spoken language, yet we laughed and gestured and managed to have a whale of a time. We spoke to each other on a level that needs no words.

For all of us that think we have few options, I would suggest that compared with them, the world is our oyster. I for one will cherish that freedom.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Volunteering has always kept me grounded in reality. I highly recommend it.

Sounds like so much fun, Minnie!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by minnie View Post
For all of us that think we have few options, I would suggest that compared with them, the world is our oyster. I for one will cherish that freedom.
I need reminders like that. No matter how large my troubles seem to me, they're really quite small in comparison to others.

What a wonderful experience, minnie, thanks for sharing your day with us.