Language of Letting Go - July 9

Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - July 9

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Overspending and Underspending

I used to beat my husband to death with my credit card. It made me feel like I had some control, some way to get even with him.
--Anonymous

I spent ten years buying everything for myself at garage sales. I didn't even buy myself a new pair of shoes. The entire time I was depriving myself, my husband was gambling, speculating on risky business deals, and doing whatever he wanted with money. I learned that when I made a decision that I deserved to have the things I wanted, and made a decision to buy something I wanted, there was enough money to do it. It wasn't about being frugal; it was about depriving myself, and being a martyr.
--Anonymous

Compulsive buying or overspending may give us a temporary feeling of power or satisfaction, but like other out of control behaviors, it has predictable negative consequences.

Under spending can leave us feeling victimized too.

There is a difference between responsible spending and martyred deprivation. There is a difference between treating ourselves well financially and overspending. We can learn to discern that difference. We can develop responsible spending habits that reflect high self-esteem and love for ourselves.

Today, I will strive for balance in my spending habits. If I am overspending, I will stop and deal with what's going on inside me. If I am under spending or depriving myself, I will ask myself if that's necessary and what I want.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ann,
This is just what I needed today. I've been feeling guilty about buying a new sewing machine to replace the 35 year-old one that just will not wind a bobbin anymore.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I used to beat my husband to death with my credit card. It made me feel like I had some control, some way to get even with him.
--Anonymous
ouch.....that was something I did in the early years of my marriage to exah. He was (is) so materialistic and so about having 'stuff' that I did it because I thought it was the only thing that got his attention.

Thanks for the post, Ann!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I used to buy things to make me feel better. That lasted about a day.

Then I learned to do things to make me feel better and live my life in a healthier way. That has saved me a fortune and given me real "value" in my life.

Hugs