Going on vaca and leaving AH at home

Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going on vaca and leaving AH at home

I am going out of town for a week with the baby and my AH is in the process of working an outpatient program. He did relapse once but he stuck to the program and is still working it and things are progressively getting better. I am going to visit family and will be gone for a week, I really am his only source of support through this and I am worried about him relapsing while we're gone. He admited to me today he just had a feeling of anxiety about us leaving. I know I can't control it and I gave him a million suggestions on how he can stay on track. Are there any suggestions any of you have for him to keep his focus off the drugs? I hate to leave him during this time, I scheduled this trip before when things were really bad and I just needed to get away, now I feel guilty leaving him during this.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

this is a perfect time for him to realize that this is his addiction and he has to deal with it.
go enjoy yourself and don't worry about him, he needs this more than you know.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There is absolutely nothing you can do to keep him from using if that's what he decides to do. Hopefully he will come out of his outpatient program with a fairly strong support system. With you being gone, it will be a really good time for him to rely on them for support if he struggles.

Hugs
Cats
Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

A great test of the 3Cs...

Can't cause it
Can't control it
Can't cure it

Please try to enjoy the vacation... think of it as getting away. Trust that HP will be walking with him every moment, and if this is his time - he will be fine. If he has more using to do, then better to find out now, rather than later.

Do please try to enjoy family. My prayers are that you can let go... and let HP take care of him.

((hugs))
Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

go...... keep the focus on you.now is the time to see how bad your husband wants recovery.if he wants to use he will if you or there or not, it is his choice. prayers,
Old 07-09-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If staying close at hand made any difference in their using or not using, none of our addicts would still use.

It's great you are taking this break, please enjoy every moment and know that his addiction and his recovery are out of your hands.

Hugs
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had the same thing occur a while back...son "claimed" he was no longer using, I had my doubts.
I took off for a week, thinking the same as you.
But before I left, I locked up all valuables, anything that could be sold for cash and left the rest to he and his HP. My HP took me 600 miles away where I couldn't do a thing even if I wanted too.
I can't say I didn't think about it here and there, but it didn't ruin the vacation.
((((Hugs)))
Cece