Somebody give me a good reality check

Old 07-06-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somebody give me a good reality check

Abf is in rehab. As I have mentioned many a time before- I am trying to work on myself and isolate the negative, inner critical voices that seem to keep me down- telling me I do not deserve anything and that no one could ever love me or want to be with me. Everyone will see the defectiveness in me and leave me.

Today I'm finding it harder than normal to focus on me and find my mind drifting off, obsessing. While I know it is POINTLESS to engage in this, I still find it hard not to at times. I am snapping the rubberband on my wrist like a madwoman.

Here's my own reality check: I can only control me. All of the feelings coming up now are the resistance. I am TRYING to adapt to a new way- learning to believe in myself and refute the old negative tapes that are hardwired in my brain. It feels frightening to me because I am telling myself something that I don't yet REALLY believe.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

when i obsess, i pray for the willingness to let go. and i also laugh at myself, how silly it is to fall into it.

it works for me most of the time..

blessings, k
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have any hobbies, activities or interests that you really get caught up in?
Like roller blading or reading a mystery novel....anything that engages you fully....artwork, re-arranging the house...whatever works.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are going to be ok. get involved in meetings. learn & met new people at the same time. recovery works miracles.find other things to keep your mind busy & have a good nite.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Do you have any friends?

Do you go anywhere and do anything?

If the answer is no, get involved with life, with others. There is a big wide wonderful life out there, yours for the taking. Get busy, living your life, don't spend the rest of your life waiting for him to call, and spend the rest of your time analyzing every little thing over and over again.

You state that you understand that you can only control you, so, start putting your words into action.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

sometimes I have had to say things I couldn't quite believe yet over and over until they became reality...Aloud worked best...Saying the serenity prayer over and over aloud really, really helped. Hugs