Those in Al-Anon How Do You Work the Steps?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Those in Al-Anon How Do You Work the Steps?

Just curious as to how those of you in Al-Anon work the steps. Do you work them with your sponser? That kind of stuff. I know I want to find a sponsor where we work the program like they do in AA.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Have you been to many meetings?
I did work mine with my sponsorm he helped a lot.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep I've been to meetings. I have had two sponsors in the past, but what I have experienced thus far is just talking, complaining, and explaining the situations in our lives. I don't know how to put into words what I'm trying to describe.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I found a home mtg. right away that was specific to me , parent focus.
I read a lot about the steps + alanon and worked them slowly on my own.
I lead in mtgs.
I got a "sponsor" and work the steps together once a week. I stuck with it. Typically I learn quickly + move on. This time I let the program take hold. I made friends in the mtg. and we share our collective growth when one another. When we need a shoulder or sound advice we depend on ea other. I sponsor now,
Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

There are mtgs. that are step-study mtgs. When I got my sponsor we said from the get go that we'd work the steps together and do that on a specific day ea. week. Don't be shy, ask for what you want.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey MTB,,,,,

Slowly, very, very slowly,,,I'm fairly new at it, but know, each step is the same for everyone, but also VERY personal at the same time.

You like to bike right? I do too. Though running is my outlet of choice. Beleive it or not, I have "epiphany's" about the steps on my run. As you know, part of the allure of our activities is what it does for our :"heads" more than our bodies. When your out on the trail, think about the step your on. Soon the answer and clarity of how to acheive will be evident.

I do agree however, as I get past the first two, a sponsor would be helpful. In fact, its helping me define the type of sponsor that will work for me. I want a
vetern" who successfully accomplished and LIVES the steps. I need validation. Others need to have a 'partner" to explore and complete together.

Most of all, again, speaking for me, it takes time. I rely on my "sprits" to let me know when its time to move on,,,

Peace