info/thoughts on sociopath/narcissism?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

info/thoughts on sociopath/narcissism?

Anyone find any good links or anything that is helpful?

It seems to be a question posed on several recent threads, I am interested in everyone's opinion about those people who use a lot of alcohol AND intelligently and conciously manipulate, lie and cheat.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communit...m_defined.html

The above is a link that I have studied quite a bit. It is based on a book called "Malignant Self Love" written by a man who is a Narcissist. It is very insightful and honest...

There appears to be no real cure for this personality disorder and it is very difficult to even treat because Narcissist feel no empathy they do not see much need to change some do learn to change their behaviors so they can get along in society.

It is a fascinating read he even post the whole book and can be read with out down lloading...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My dad was a narcissist but not an alcoholic. The two can manifest very similarly regarding personal relationships, but they are different. If someone has other disorders, they have to start recovery and stop the drinking in order to be diagnosed. Alcoholism can look like other mood/personality disorders too...like bipolar.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Google Sam Vaknin or go to the site I pmd you about the other day and there is a thread 49 pages long on NPD and how to survive and understand it.

Good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

http://thepsychopath.freeforums.org/...299b04fc0ee5a8

The aforementioned Sam Vaknin gives great info on there and there is some fabulous support from the members (I am not an active member, so this is not a plug, as such). In fact, they cover topics like no contact, healing from abuse, detachment and others in depth that I have never seen before on forums, so it would be worth any on F&F at least having a read.

I am not a psych dr, so have no way of being able to diagnose my ex. It does help me, though, to see how other people have dealt with the same practical circumstances, regardless of diagnosis.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Red face These people helped me a lot

I found a lot of very valuable help at Kim and Steve Cooper's two sites, I bought their ebook Back from the Looking Glass over two months ago and it helped me a lot.

I found Sam V very nasty and abusive on another forum that I belonged to.

Kim wrote to me personally and gave me a lot of time. My husband and I have both stopped drinking since I followed her advice. He has also become much easier to live with, it has been a real challenge on my part to do the hard work that Kim has challenged me to, but I am getting much stronger, and me stopping drinking really showed him that I was serious and not going to let what he was doing to me get me so down any more. Once I stopped he couldn't let me be better than him (ha!)

I don't think saying that you have to leave and no contact, if you don't want to is right. I think Kim is right and some narcissists do get better.

I know that other people disagree with this because I have seen how angry some people get on forums when anyone suggests that NPD people can get better, but it is working for me and my husband was very mean and a big show off before I started changing how I dealt with him. He has hurt me and the kids for years but now he is taking one step at a time and I know how to protect myself better. I think that others should give these ideas a try before they critize me. There is more that I could say but I don't know who reads this yet and maybe this is yet another forum where you are not allowed to say that there is any hope.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile New Here

Sorry that I cannot post the links to the sites I mentioned above but I am
new here and apparently that is not allowed for newbies.

I am sure that you will find them in a Google search.

Does anyone else find that Omega 3's help you stay on the wagon?
They help me 100%.

:atv