Health Issues

Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health Issues

Hi All,

I was wondering what your experiences have been concering the health issues related to alcoholism.

ABF had high blood pressure and cholesterol as well as occasional incontinence (bowel and bladder) while he was drinking.

Since he has stopped drinking, his blood pressure and cholesterol is normal but he occasionally will still have some stomach issues and he still unrinates alot many times a day.

I know his body took a beating for the 30 + years of drinking ( for example, his arms legs, back and hands are covered in little wart like growths that he was told was due to his drinking. They haven't gone away), but I wonder if there is permanent damage that may crop up as he ages due to this or is his body capable of being fully healed as long as he doesn't relapse? I know the liver has amazing regenerative abilities, but can there be scarring and dysfunction, for example, that won't be fixed?

His mind is affected as well but I do think that it is a combination of mental issues as well as alcohol damage.

I'm hoping you may be able to share what you have learned. I'm trying to understand as much as I can.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jilly, I have been sober for over 9 months, my liver enzyme levels were back to normal after about 3 months, the swelling is still going down. The puffiness and redness has been gone for about 6 months.

The fog started to lift about a month out. I still have not recovered my initiative to get things done fully, I have had to really force myself to do things like mowing the grass and fix things around the house. I really feel a part of it is making sobriety my number one priority in life.

The mental part continues to improve, some old timers have told me that the mental part can continue to improve for over a year.

My 24X7 heartburn cleared up in a week after I quit, my bowels normalized I guess in about a month..... maybe less.

Never had bladder issues except for urinating a lot........ beer will do that to ya!! I urinate less then I used to, but then again I am not a big water/soda drinker.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First let me say welcome to SR. You have found a great place to share, vent and learn from folks who have been where you are now.

As everyone reacts differently and have many different problems from their drinking, I would suggest asking AH's Dr these questions.

You don't say how long AH has been sober, whether he is working some kind of program (means better chance of staying sober) etc. Thus it would be very hard to answer your questions, not only for those reasons, but WE ARE NOT DOCTORS.

I could give you a litany of the health problems I have today that are a direct result of the years I drank and I am 26 years sober, so............................best ask his doctor.

Now, I have a question for you. What are you doing for you? Have you tried Alanon? Most of us here have learned or are still learning how to take our eyes off the Alcoholic in our lives and put them back on OURSELVES. Alanon helped me and has helped many others with that.

Please also remember the 3 C's:

You didn't CAUSE it,

You can't CONTROL it, and

You can't CURE it.

J M H O

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care very much!!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-03-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks Laurie, I should have suggested she speak to his doctor and also for her to focus on her recovery and let him focus on his.

I concur with every thing Laurie has said, what I shared was my case alone.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Health Issues

Taz,

I'm glad you are continuing to get healthier. From your post, it sounds like it is an ongoing process but very worthwhile. Thank you for sharing.

Laurie,

ABF has been dry for almost 1 year now. He has had 4 one night relapses. He refuses to work a program. In another post I wrote, I said how he feels they are all cults and he feels that just not drinking is addressing his sobriety issues.

I feel that he has more mental health issues that have yet to be uncovered and when he did try individual counseling, he got nothing out of it except to tell me that the counselor told him things that made me do a double take. He was lying and I recognized that he was because no decent counselor would have given him such toxic advice. This is all his responsibility to find honesty and truth if he hopes to ever be truly healed, not mine.

I am working with my counselor who is very versed in dealing with alcoholism and it's affects as well as reading and learning all I can. When I found this site, I felt releaved that I found so much validation for what I was experiencing. I feel this works best for me right now.

I am practicinfg detaching and letting him deal with what he chooses to do. I am not responsible to follow him around with a pail and shovel and I don't intend on living that expectation from him for the rest of my life.

I am learning to take back the power I gave him before I understood what I was dealing with. It is a slow process but I have learned by all that I have been through in these past 2 years with him.

His dodtor says that he is doing great and doesn't elaborate much else. That is why I was wondering about other's experiences and am aware of everyon'es individuality. He seems to have dodged a huge bullit despite what he put his body through. Just wondered if he got lucky or what.

Thank you for welcoming me and please be assured that I am making my recovery a priority. I wouldn't have joined or posted a thing if I had not gotten to that relevation.

Love and Light,
Jilly
Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Sounds like you have a good handle on your own recovery!!! That is great.

He seems to have dodged a huge bullit despite what he put his body through.
Don't bet on it. I know too many of us that hit 9, 10, 11 years, etc and started having major health problems from diabetes, bad gall bladders, alcoholic neuropathy, destruction of the whole gastronimical system etc etc (yes, I have all of the above and more, .......the price I pay for the actions Ii took)

You are right, his recovery is his responsibility, and IMHO based on what you have described...................................he hasn't accepted that responsibility yet, lol oh well some of us are denser than others.

You on the other hand sound like you are getting a handle on what you need to do for you and that is GREAT!!!!!!

This really is a SAFE place to rant, rave, scream, cry, laugh, and share your ES&H.

Please keep posting, we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH was diagnosed with hep c 10 years ago. He continued to drink thinking nothing would ever happen to him. He now has cirrhosis and the start of kidney failure. He also has jaundice and has been hospitalized for 12 days due to alcohic hepatitis on top of that. He stayed sober about 2 weeks then resumed drinking. At this point his brain is now damaged and I became scared to be around him. Crazy irratic behavior sent me to get a PFA to keep him away from the children an I. His family is angry at me for doing this, I believe they are as sick as he is. The A's health will get worse and worse without treatment.I have watched a strong man reduced to a frail man over the years.