Scared, Sad, Angry and everything inbetween

Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared, Sad, Angry and everything inbetween

Sometimes I think I am going crazy. Been in a 4 year relationship and much of that time has been spent with him serving time for probation violations and not completing treatment. He is now 6 months sober and in treatment and attending some AA. My biggest concern right now is that before he would pick a fight to justify leaving the family unit and go drink and has once again couldn’t handle a disagreement like adults do. Instead he packed up and left again and I do not believe it is to go drink but instead runaway from communication and responsibility. Very confused as to how to separate what personality characteristics are still a learned behavior of the Alcoholism or just a selfish human being. Would characterize my Bf as a misogynist and am searching for some input as to anyone else that may have some insight
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bre. Hope you've got settled in at SR and had a chance to look through the Sticky Posts at the top of the page.

I know the I finally got some clarity when I realised that unacceptable behaviour is just that, regardless of the reasons behind it. It doesn't make it any more acceptable if it comes from a drinker, a cancer patient, or simply from someone with a different set of values from me. If a person's behaviour negatively affects my life, I have a choice in how I take action accordingly.

Many people in the world have problems communicating in a healthy way, regardless of whether they drink or not. I still struggle with communicating with those close to me and I don't have a problem with drink. I have found doing some reading on Transactional Analysis to be very helpful (especially the book "What do you say after you say hello? by Eric Berne) - ie. learning how to speak from an "Adult" position, rather than from "Parent" or "Child".

Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us, Bre. All of us here know how frustrating and crazy-making the A in our lives can be. Expectations. It's all about expectations. Many of us are dealing with active A's or A's without a lot of recovery time, or dry drunks. We expect them to tell us what they feel, to listen to how we feel, to react in a logical fashion, to accept responsibility for their actions and speech, to treat us with respect. Don't work that way.

Your guy is just six months into sobriety. His inability to communicate may be a result of his upbringing, his addiction, his personality, or a combination of any of those things, and possibly other elements. I'm married to an AH who literally walked out the door one night, got a cab, and stayed in our motorhome for the night when I asked him to discuss with me whether or not he wanted to stay in the marriage, if he wanted a divorce, what he wanted from me, where were we headed, etc. See? Those were my expectations; expectations of having some semblance of a "normal" give-and-take discussion. When he returned home the next day, I was told I could live in our home if I ceased bringing up our relationship. (As of today, discussion of our "relationship" is a moot point - there ain't one to discuss any longer as far as I'm concerned!)

So I understand how you feel like you're going crazy. Been there, done that. When that particular event occurred in my life, and several others like it within a period of a month, I began to look at my expectations. Were they realistic, given the fact I was dealing with an active alcoholic? Why would I expect someone in his condition to behave rationally, intelligently, or in a mature manner? THAT was my problem. He was doing what addicts do - deny and run away from the problem. That was the ah-ha, pivotal moment for me. It was, I suppose, hitting my bottom. I had officially driven myself crazy by expecting a tiger to change it's stripes. And as I've often said, a tiger is a tiger is a tiger - it will never be a leopard.

Are you attending Al-anon or counseling? Al-anon is a wonderful program for those of us who have been exposed to the "radioactive fallout" of the A's insanity. It is suggested you attend six meetings and then make up your mind whether or not the program is a good match for you. If you haven't gone to a meeting, I'd suggest you find a few in your area and give them a try.

You say your partner is a misogynist. Ouch. So you think you have a woman-hater on your hands? I had one of those once. It was always the woman's fault when a couple broke up, women were generally referred to as bit****. They DID serve a purpose in my ex's life - sexual gratification and housekeeper. Oh, and wage earner when he was going through one of his many unemployment periods.

If you really feel that he's a misogynist, I can tell you there are plenty of them out there who don't drink. That is a separate character disorder that can be magnified by alcohol, but will be there even if there isn't any drinking. You are trying to figure out why he's doing what he's doing. I've found that the quickest way to make myself crazy is to try to figure someone else out; to get inside their mind. Heck, I have enough to deal with just trying to figure out why I glom onto addicts and all other types of nutcases.

Thus, my suggestion that you try Al-anon. It will get the focus on you and who you are. I spent a lot of years trying to figure out a lot of people. In the process, I forgot to figure out me. And that is what got me to hit my bottom and realize I had become as crazy, if not crazier than my AH!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What has helped me is going to Al-anon and reading as much as I can about alcoholism. That has given me the tools I needed to feel good again.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you too all for sharing your experiences of enlightenment, sadness, and fears of living with an A. This is all new to me to open up and admit how I am an emotional wreck. At 38 years of age and the last of my family passed away 10 years ago and keeping friends at a distance, so as to not let someone see how humiliating my life can be. Or maybe on my part keeping myself from admiting there is a problem.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep posting, Bre38, there are many people here who understand. I kept it all "secret," too. As I've learned to open up, my life is so much better, I feel 10 years younger and most of all - I like me again.

Much love to you.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never knew until this last week how common my story is. We all have a different twist and turn in the road, but the path with an A takes us all in one way or another the same direction. A rush of all sorts of emotions have came to the surface after reading others thoughts, feelings and emotions and sitting here in amazement at times that I am not the only one that has experienced some of the most hurtful and painful reactions from a loved one. Some of the most humiliating things in my life of loving an A and things I thought ONLY I had dealt with --- From the A passing out and urinating in the bed and all over me -- getting screamed at for no reason at all -- or being afraid to go to a social event because he will embarrass you ....
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by Bre38 View Post
A rush of all sorts of emotions have came to the surface after reading others thoughts, feelings and emotions and sitting here in amazement at times that I am not the only one that has experienced some of the most hurtful and painful reactions from a loved one. Some of the most humiliating things in my life of loving an A and things I thought ONLY I had dealt with ....
Hi and welcome to SR! Your thoughts a about not being the only one took me back to last November when I first found this forum. I, too, was in utter amazement that all the things I thought were unique to my marriage were being experienced daily by so many others.....it was HUGE for me because it was another thing that helped me to realize that my ex really is an addict, and even though I was pretty messed up from living with him, I really am not the crazy one. It was one more thing that gave me the strength to do what I had to do to get out from under the madness. For me, that meant divorcing him after 25 years. Others decide to stay; I just was finished and when I knew it, well, I just knew it. Finally.

(((hugs)))
Old 07-03-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hi,

Welcome to our world, one of dispair and disappointment.

You have spent 4 years in the chaos, that's a long time.

Some of it may be due to the addiction, some may be due a deeper rooted problem, magnified by the addiction, but not created by it.

Remember, he will always be an addict/alcoholic, it's just a matter of whether he is active or not. This disease has no cure.

Have you attended any meetings? May help you.

Keep posting, we are here for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not TOO educated on the topic of substance abuse - drugs or alcohol- but I do know that using these substances to mask feelings or engaging them in a way that helps one deal with the world is a childish reaction. Engaging in things like this ****** people from emotionally maturing.

To be an adult, I believe, means to accept personal responsibility for your happiness, faults, failures, successes, goals, life, etc. Not to say that I have done this perfectly- as I have played the victim to some degree for quite sometime, but I think it is important to understand that these men are off trying to take shortcuts in life- versus dealing with the reality.