Notices

Feeling sorry for myself

Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sorry for myself

Hi all,

I am feeling so lonely tonight. I don't feel like drinking or anything. I just feel sad. I can't really give a reason. I just went through a terrible depression and I am afraid it's happening again. I have a good support group, but I just don't feel like talking to anyone right now.

My therapist is out of the country and I miss him so much. He always seems to know the right thing to say when I am feeling this bad.

I didn't know where else to go, so thanks for listening.

Carol
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carol,

This is a good place to come when you're feeling down. Hopefully the mood will pass and you'll feel better too. Sometimes depression clears up when you've been sober for awhile. And, sometimes the depression came first and needs to be dealt with. I'm glad you find help from your therapist.

I usually find something to inspire me if I look around the boards.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mark B. - Teetotaler |R|

Originally Posted by Iwanttobe1 View Post
I am feeling so lonely tonight. I don't feel like drinking or anything. I just feel sad. I can't really give a reason. I just went through a terrible depression and I am afraid it's happening again. I have a good support group, but I just don't feel like talking to anyone right now.
Hello Carol.

You've reached out here and that's a start. Thanks to modern technology we can communicate in various ways. This is only one of those methods for support.

If you don't feel like talking then just type away. Whatever comes to mind. By at least going that far you'll be able to take your mind off the loneliness. You'll be surprised at how your network of support will increase.

We all get lonely from time to time. We can write, talk, go to a meeting and keep in touch. It's how we break out of that rut of being lonely.

I'm sure in about an hour or so some more members here will jump into your thread. Then you'll see you're not alone.

Yours in Recovery, Mark B.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Don't be sorry for yourself...You are an entity..your life starts in you..the perception you have of others starts in you..and no matter what you feel like, i can tell you, that it's going to be ok....i am feeling a little crappy too..but i am not gonna let my time be wasted anymore with sad or negative things..i did that for a whole life and what did i get?..i know..sometimes it seems uncontrollable...but look at yourself...you are a person..you have gifts, you have yourself, even if you are alone, you have yourself... you have a powerful person in you...if you say i'll be happy, can your body say no?..i'm sorry, no it can't..your mind is stronger than anything...remember..positive attracts positive..and too for the feeling unwanted i am not even going to wright down...

you don't need to feel sad any more time...you have yourself..you have your own company...you have a huge power in you....use it..
Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Hi Carol,

I often suffer with intense depression that comes and goes. It's hard to get through as I am sure you know. I am glad you reached out here and tried to find comfort. I would suggest trying some self-soothing like taking a bubble bath or reading a good book. They aren't going to cure your depression but can help take your mind off of it until it passes. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's OK to have yourself a little "Pity Party" once in a while...just as long as you don't stay on that pity pot too long...you could get stuck there!

I think we all have the "poor me's" from time to time, for one reason or another. But, even though you may feel lonely, you're never really alone. Right here at SR you have a 24/7 meeting with folks from all over the world in different stages of recovery, ready to share their experience, strength, and hope.

Check out the posts and see if there might not be someone who could use some consolation from you...it's the quickest way I know of to take the focus off myself...reaching out to someone else in need of emotional support.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

(((Carol)))

When I feel blue.....I do some or all of these....

Put on jazzy music..sing and dance around the room

Pray....Take a bubble bath...Go for a walk

Cook Chili..... Listen to the Big Book or Bible

Spray on perfume, slather on make up, wear red

Eat Ice Cream....Call a friend....Go to an AA meeting

Action ..
Old 07-01-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey carol,
hugs. hope the feeling's passed.
we're all here for ya !

D
Old 07-01-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I get that way sometimes too. Feel lonely but want to be alone. Pretty ironic.
Anyway it will pass.
Just hang in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hg098.jpg (49.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

When I awaken each day I apply a suggestion from the Big

Book of AA..

I ask God to direct my thinking for just this day..especially that

it be divorced from self pity, dishonest, and self-seeking

motives.

It works! it has really helped me with the bipolar mood swings

and I believe it helps me stay clean and sober for this 24 hours.

Self pity kills..at least for me.

Love,

IO
Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. You shared a lot of helpful ideas.

I am still feeling a down, but better. I am going to my home group meeting tonight. The ladies there are wonderful and so supportive. I am trying to reach out a bit.

I'll keep you posted.

Carol
Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's perfectly ok to feel "sorry for yourself," and it should not be labeled as anything. I just had this conversation with someone yesterday, who is going through a hard breakup.

You know, even animals lick their wounds when hurt, to heal. It's ok.

Some people might think it's self-indulgent. Some people may say you're on a pity pot. I say it's a function of getting over losses, whatever they may be.

We must be the only entities who blame ourselves for being sad, which is a normal human response to disappointment, loss, whatever.

It's a process of just dealing with stuff and perfectly acceptable, without blame to oneself.

Just take the time to feel it and then it will pass, eventually. It might be awhile, but no judgements.