Girl, Interrupted

Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Girl, Interrupted

I just watched this for the first time. I’ve had it on my PVR for months, but for some reason I shied away until tonight. I was going to put this as an OT thread, but for me it really isn’t.

Well, what can I say? I don’t think I ever watched a film with so many parallels for me, metaphorically speaking. Lisa as my ex, Susannah as me, Claymoore as my self-imposed institution, the other patients as my friends in recovery. I don’t feel the need to dissect the character of Lisa, however her impact on Susannah threw my own past situation into sharp relief, particularly the upheaval she caused whenever she was around and the peace that reigned when she wasn’t. Also the dramatic illustration of the mechanisms people use to not feel put me very much in mind of addicts.

I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t seen it, but I urge you to catch it sometime. I shall just leave you with the quote that has caused an enormous shift with me.

Was I ever crazy? Maybe. Or maybe life is... Crazy isn't being broken or swallowing a dark secret. It's you or me amplified.
You or me amplified. I love that. I took some of my most positive traits and amplified them so that they caused me, and others, harm. I have spent a long time turning down the volume and now I can hear all of the instruments in the orchestra.

I am in my cab back to the real world.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He He. Never looked at it that way....hmmm. Alll I know is it's supposedly a "chick flick", but I still liked it a lot.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

this movie was very disturbing for me. i felt very ill at ease for days after. this movie opened up some thoughts for me, as i could relate so profoundly with the chaos, the craziness, the influences.

it was disturbing in a way that i had to wonder why i could relate to it.....and that i could indentify characters in my own life....even picked one out to represent me.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haven't watched that movie in awhile, but I think I'll get it out. I've seen it many times. Thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, Glass, what a perfect illustration of how we all see things through different filters!

Jeri, I think I couldn't have watched this even a few years ago. I needed some more distance to be able to understand the depth of the unspoken interactions between the characters and also so I wouldn't be triggered. Why could you relate? Perhaps, like me, you could see your ex in Lisa. I think Jolie did a fantastic job of portraying the non-verbal manipulation, as well as the verbal.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The movie that that hit me between the eyes when I watched it once was "A Beautiful Mind".

I agree with what you were saying about being able to see and hear the manipulation in that characheter Jolie played.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I have not seen this one-I will have to check into watching it! Sounds intriguing
Old 06-28-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the reason it affected me was that i could see my ex in lisa (jolie).....very freaky. and i could see how easily others followed her into her madness and dangerous incidents. the cruelty of her character, the vulnerability of her character, how wounded she was......just too painful for me to watch and be able to grasp it all.

i sat there the whole time wondering how one would ever play a part like that unless they truly had experienced those feelings and behaviors. she did an amazing job...jolie, that is.

everytime i see it is on tv now, i still can't watch it again.....maybe in time.