Wedding Ring

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
full of hope

Wedding Ring

I took my wedding ring off this morning. I never take it off. I'm not sure what I was thinking or why I did it. I just took it off and laid it on my nightstand and just looked at it.

Then I thought, I should put it back on and I probably would have except then I noticed the time and realized I needed to leave and when I got to town I didn't have it on.

I can't believe I don't have it on. I never realized how much I touched it during the day. I'm embarrassed and keep trying to hide my hand from people. But then I think I don't have anything to be ashamed about. But it feels weird--even though nobody has probably noticed.

I almost feel naked or less of a person without it. It's so strange. I can't believe I took it off.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chero View Post
I'm not sure what I was thinking or why I did it.
sounds like you did it subconsciously to me, which makes it even more powerful.

i used to wear an irish ring on my ring finger with my ex, and the first day i took it off, it felt SO weird... like my hand wasn't my own! i put it on the other day for a minute to see how it felt, and i didn't like it anymore! it felt so alien to me, and like it was "wrong" of me to wear it. so, i tucked it deep down in a jewelry box.

if you don't want to wear the ring, don't wear it! instead, think about what taking it off means to you.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took mine off 4 years ago this July 26th.

I still find myself running my thumb against my ring finger sometimes. Other times , I even get the old "where's my ring " panic thing wen I realize it's not on my finger.....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I would never wear mine but after finding recovery and getting back together with my wife...I think I have had it off 3 times because of work.
Strange feeling when it isn't there. Was even more a strange feeling of fear when I noticed my wife took her's off when we were separated. Ouch!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Even while we were still married and living together my ex would take it off when she was upset with me. Then I'd get upset about her not wearing it and I'd take mine off. After we were divorced I crushed mine in a vise and gave it back to her. So much for dealing serenely with anger and resentment. For a long time I felt like something was missing on that finger, only when she remarried recently did I stop touching the area and panicking like GP described.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I'm with InThisForMe "think about what taking it off means to you"

This is a hard one for me because mine came off for different reasons that alot in this forum.
(My love of my life died-he was not an A) I took mine off when I was angry he left me...I put it on when I missed him....I decided to put it in the jewelry box when I wanted it to become a memory that I would not lose.

I believe as Glass's post too as I have done that "Old panic"

It is all in "what it means to you" make it a positive thing-of how commited you were to the relationship-try and remove the negative. Do what you want when your ready!

You are not less of a person-for doing what you need to do for you! (((chero)))
Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
full of hope

I'm not sure what it means to me.

Partly I took it off in anger, I guess. AH hasn't been wearing his. And it hasn't really bothered me but I guess maybe I have a little bit of anger about it.

And I think partly I took it off hoping that it could help me get past these feelings of missing him and thinking about him and hoping and wishing and knowing it can't be.

Of course, all I've thought all day is, OMG! I don't have my ring on.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i never wear mine, never have from the day i got married. rings bug me. but my husband wears his 24/7, i have never seen him without it. you're doing what feels right to you. blessings, k
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a "connection" story when it comes to my ring. I was in Germany and went to a beautiful old church in Heidelberg. It was AH's birthday, February 14, 2006. In front of the church they have votives, which I love lighting - sending a prayer to the universe. I lit one for him, one for me. When I got back to my place, I took off my wedding ring and put it in an envelope with a postcard from the church. When I got back a little over a week later, I discovered that was the same day he had served me with divorce papers. The ring and postcard are still in my god box, which I will open after the divorce is final.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
I have a "connection" story when it comes to my ring. I was in Germany and went to a beautiful old church in Heidelberg. It was AH's birthday, February 14, 2006. In front of the church they have votives, which I love lighting - sending a prayer to the universe. I lit one for him, one for me. When I got back to my place, I took off my wedding ring and put it in an envelope with a postcard from the church. When I got back a little over a week later, I discovered that was the same day he had served me with divorce papers. The ring and postcard are still in my god box, which I will open after the divorce is final.

Wow....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My wedding band no longer fit ( ;neither did his). I had another one I wore,actually still do. Was my mom's (I think); she died 20 yrs ago. I wore and still do the anniversary ring AH and our kids gave me a few years ago (the little diamond fell out of my engagement ring a few years ago, so now that AH could afford something more, they picked that out. Understated and nice.) I wear it with another ring my kids gave me. I like it; reminds me of them, and since I'm not ready to think of dating,it's all good.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
full of hope

Denny, I just cried reading that. That is an amazing story.

I'm still torn about the 'right' thing to do? I had actually been taking it off the last couple of days when I went to bed. I usually slept in it. But every morning I put it right back on.

I remember once when I was growing up a lady put her wedding ring in the offering plate at church. For her it was a symbol of giving her marriage over to God. Her husband had recently left her.
I don't want to part with mine but I don't know how I feel about wearing it either?!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had to do it in steps.... I rarely took off my ring when I was married.. only when I had too... so when I divorced I had to ween myself off of it. I wore it for about 6 months after we seperated... when the divorce papers were served I took off the engagement ring and put it on my right hand.... and then when the divorce was final I took off the wedding ring and put it with the engagement ring on the right hand... I think it was about a year before I took it off and put it away in the jewerly box...

About two years later my place was broken into and they stole all my jewerly...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe its time to replace that "old" spot with something new, something that respresents "good" -meaning-karma-energy-strength. I bought myself an 10mm 18k gold band with a Hebrew text that says not to allow fear to rob you of your know reality, it is only a figment of somehting. Fear itself has no form. I touch this ring all day long and it changed that spot for me. I no longer miss what was there and truly love what is there now.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sista,,,

Simple,,,,

It was the spirits (hp)

And yup, they wanted you to think about it. For sure, it worked huh?

You may put it back on, you may do what some here have done (I briefly glanced at some responses) but this morning, things happened for a reason.

Chero honey, you have made SUCH progress over the last few weeks. It seems like the wedding in a subliminal way, got you moving again in your forward momentum. Maybe the "melancholy" you worried about happening didn't and things went the other way when you realized, Marriage is about HEALTHY and HAPPY? Maybe the spirits are telling you a "story". Maybe you've opened your core enough to be enamored by the tale?

By the way, what's your favorite color?

Peace
Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You took it off and the world didn't stop spinning. The world didn't even notice. The world wants the best life you can live and the world will accept you without the ring.
If you took it off and felt like less a person, Maybe too much of who you are is attached to that ring. Try leaving it off.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

I took mine off the day I filed the divorce papers. My ex never wanted to wear his until now...go figure....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, my husband always wears his. I take mine off all the time because sometimes my fingers swell and I never could get used to sleeping with any jewelry on nor with wearing anykind of jewelry all the time. I have lost 3 wedding rings. I don't even wear one at all anymore. I don't need a ring to tell me where my heart is.
But this is just my story.
I know many people who never take theirs off.
Hubby's mama wore hers even years after she was widowed, it became so thin from wear...it was very sweet.
But, yes, Chero...I believe it is sort of a turning point for you.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WOW! Hubby just found my wedding ring. I had put it in the bowl of pecans we keep out.
Guess I knew it wouldn't get really lost there?
He thanked me for putting it back on.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

To me, a wedding ring is a symbol of love, committment and respect. When I had none of those, I removed my ring.