Retreat/Rehab for us

Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Retreat/Rehab for us

Wouldn't it be lovely if there were a rehab for loved ones of Addicts/Alcoholics? (I mean I KNOW there is Alanon and Naranon- but I mean actually going AWAY to a place.)

Does anyone knows of any retreats or resorts of some sort that offer life enrichment - or something along those lines?

I am in need of a break bigtime.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I wanna go to codie rehab.....:
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A Naranon or Alanon trip would be great. Really, ANY sort of retreat that gets you out of your regular routine would help you to refocus on yourself. There are a lot of women's retreats offered nationwide, with various themes and topics, and any one of them would help you to re-arrange your thinking so that you are seeing your life as a whole, and not as the tight little claustrophobic space you've put yourself in with your ABF. I never thought I was a retreat person, but after going through one of these (the one I took was offered through PeerSpirit, for example) I felt stronger, wiser, and more centered on MY life and not someone else's.

Good luck, Heather!!
Hugs,
GiveLove
Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took a trip after a few months of my AH starting recovery. It was just for me. I went to this resort that is world famous for it's spa. I was there for 5 days and I took practically every treatment they offered. I must have read 6 or 7 books, laid by their pool and just relaxed. It was to this day still the best vacation I ever took. After the months and months of chaos and pain in my life, to take a trip just for me, only for me was a little slice of heaven. So even if they don't offer the kind of rehab you are talking about, you can go out and make your own!!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alanon is having a North Florida group convention here in DAytona at a beautiful resort in September. One could make that into a retreat. Its beautiful here in September not to hot, tourists gone ect
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ncdeac- which spa are you speaking of ?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that it is really called running away - like the little kids do. For me usually everyday here in Mich. I take a walk or a 7 mile bike ride. I then just kind of drift off and enjoy. However a week with no stress sure looks and sounds nice.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is a place in Kentucky that has inpatient programs for codependency 16 to 30 days. Addresses a lot of Family of Origin type issues...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topsyturvey View Post
You just reminded me to check the conventions page on the Nar-Anon website and you might want to too...there's even a camping trip and a world convention in San Antonio (gotta love those canals).

Just go to the website Nar-Anon.org and click on the convention link!

Maybe there's a "Codie Bus" available to take all of us! LOL

TT
Wow, i had no idea that these types of things existed!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey, if anyone from the northeast is interested in the convention in florida, i'd like to go and split the costs with someone. let me know!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Hawaii or the Caribbean always works wonders for me. Taking a break and having fun works wonders. You're close to the Jersey shore how about a week there? Having vacations and living my life to the fullest is the best I can do to not let my sadness + frustration consume me. I carry on most days like there was no addict in my life.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who responded. I haven't quite yet decided what I want to do- do not want to spend alot of $$ but also know I really need a time out from the daily grind.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sometimes just a peaceful weekend refreshes
Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just got back from the Jersey shore. Just me and my husband. The weather was beautiful and it was very relaxing. Kids wanted to stay home. That was ok by me. Getting away does do wonders.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been to both Al-Anon retreats and Christian retreats. After my AH went into rehab, I started attending a church and they were offering a women's retreat. They also waived the fee for me, which was a blessing. I was nervous to go, but it was a wonderfully relaxing time for me.