Notices

any other explanation?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any other explanation?

My friend has to do very frequent UA's as per court orders. He has passed every UA, but failed a polygraph test, when asked if he had used drugs or alcohol. He had told them that he had a few beers -- they knew that a month or two before the test. He has used drugs and alcohol for 25 yrs.......is there any honest way he could of failed the poly if he didn't use drugs? Could the fact that he has used for 25 yrs have influenced the answer? thanks for answering
Old 06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A polygraph test can detect very small changes in blood pressure, pulse, and respiration based on a reaction to a question. It's easy to fail a polygraph purely based on the person's level of anxiety. A polygraph would have registered marked anxiety on his response to that one question alone.

Example: I drank heavily for 15 years. If they wired me up;

"How many beers did you drink last night?"

And I responded, "Just a couple."

The machine would have set off red lights and sirens. Why? Because the graphs would indicate a jump in anxiety level. It's technically NOT a lie, but it's also not a complete truth.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whats a UA?

Polygraphs are not even admissible in court. I have no idea why they had him do one, unless it is with full knowledge of their unreliable results and they hope to keep him in the system longer.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

UA = urinalysis
Old 06-24-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

do I understand correctly???

Originally Posted by Midas View Post
A polygraph test can detect very small changes in blood pressure, pulse, and respiration based on a reaction to a question. It's easy to fail a polygraph purely based on the person's level of anxiety. A polygraph would have registered marked anxiety on his response to that one question alone.

Example: I drank heavily for 15 years. If they wired me up;

"How many beers did you drink last night?"

And I responded, "Just a couple."

The machine would have set off red lights and sirens. Why? Because the graphs would indicate a jump in anxiety level. It's technically NOT a lie, but it's also not a complete truth.
Thanks for answering.........so, do I understand correctly that this could all be anxiety......he is really upset, because he 'did' admit to having a few beers, but he hasn't done any drugs. His PO knew he did the beers and that has been dealt with but the question was still 'have you used drugs or alcohol in the last year?' He is very concerned over this ........ he has been doing good and trying really hard to do what he's suppose to do......and he's been doing it quite well.......

I wish I knew what would help him
Old 06-24-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Polygraph tests can also be a form of entrapment. Which do you do? Tell the truth knowing your arse is going to be in hot water? Or, tell a lie, almost guaranteeing your arse is going to be in even more hot water? The first response might result in a clearer conscience.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Of course, we all know what "a couple of beers" means