Notices

temp job is posses threat to sobriety

Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

temp job is posses threat to sobriety

The county fair is near my house for the next 17 days. I have so many fines too pay and desperately need to move so I figured I would work at the fair off the books to make some quick money. Tonight was the first night and the people that I met so far all seem to be on coke or dope. Drugs are flowing pretty freely. I really need the cash so I dont want to quit, but the next 17 days are going to be rough for me if i am going to be offerred drugs all the time. This might be a little to much of a test for me. Im going to work again tommarrow and I will just have to try to stay to myself. I work the wild west stands in the petting zoo section. I love animals and I am already attached to the bleating baby goat. I dont want to quit. It seems like the people working in my section are clean, but the surounding booths are going to be a problem.
I guess i have to be really strong and stay in my area to be safe.
Im slightly nervous about this, I still have a weakness for coke when it is around. I wouldnt go looking for it, but I am not sure what I will do if it is put right in front of me.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I know there is no clearcut answer, but it is safe to say the answer wont be found in using.
I know a very smart person that has this in their sign. line.

Maybe ask yourself if the chances taken are worth the risk?

We get asked or told... we will stop when we are ready to do anything that is needed to stay clean or sober. Even quit a job and work a month longer someplace else if need be?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's always temptation. There's a passage in the Big Book. Somthing about moving to Greenland, but an Eskimo would show up with a bottle.....(Didn't know there were Eskimoes in Greenland, but I digress)

But if you think it's too much, work at Wally World or whatever you have to do. I'm making about 60-70% of what I think I'm worth, but it's stable & low stress.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beth
I know you gotta move, and I really am rooting for ya to find a way to work the Fair and not be pulled back in but, hey, nothing's worth going backwards, OK ?

D
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Staying in your work area is wise.
Keep your focus
you are there to work.

Prayers coming your way Beth
Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning B4

I was told in early sobriety "if you hang around a barber shop long enough, you are bound to get a haircut" . I would stay in the "safe" area as others have suggested, and don't hang around after work..............NED
Old 06-22-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Glass. I am not even focused on getting a job right now. I'm not in trouble, but I'm not on easy street either. I just know that if I'm patient and work this correctly this time my best earning years are just ahead.

How much money are you really gonna make should you start doing blow again? It's only gonna be free for sooo long.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey..that'll be neat Beth
getting to do stuff cleand and sober for the first time.
A lof of things i had to do for the first time again
clean and sober..it's an experince..i like it.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi beth...

if you are really scared you might use, i agree with the others that you should look for another job. perhaps you know someone who would let you clean their house? (i do this part time, and make very decent $$ off the books...) remember, your sobriety comes first.

if you really don't feel that quitting is an option, maybe you should take things (like a book... the Big Book , knitting, whatever!!) with you that will help you stay busy during down time and out of trouble. and when work is done, always make it urgent that you leave right away. (i'm meeting with friends, whatever. and to say you're meeting with friends is no lie if you're coming here to SR!)

best of luck...

(((beth)))))))

gg
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beth,

I know you really need the money. Stay focused and work and keep thinking that the extra money will help to buy you a new place to live.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Beth, I would pray for strength and guidance before going to work each day and keep to myself. Then leave right after work. I admire your courage. I'm 19 days sober and I don't know if I could work where alcohol was freely flowing. That would be hard even with my HP's help. Sending prayers your way.

Last edited by Grateful Heart; 06-22-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: changed message
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Sounds like a fun job. Maybe a little too fun in some areas.
Just stay where your suppose to be and leave right after like evryone has said.
I wish you luck.
I really hope temptation doesnt come knocking.
You can do it..Stay strong.
You dont want to be working for nothing.
Your there to get your butt out of that house.
I'm here for you.
Much love.
Attached Images
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im stressing about this, but I am thinking in terms of money. Ontrackagain put it right in perspective for me. i am there too make money and better my living situation. If I start spending the money I do make on crap it will make all the working a waste of my time.
Im gonna work and try to stay focused and if I get to the point that I feel like Im going to break, I will have to quit. If i start using again all the money made working will be spent anyway so why do it.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me it was hard all the way around to go to work.
I use to get f-up on the job all the time..

Even in an nice clean office enviorment.
My co-workers would talke about drinking and using
all the time and offer me drinks and what have ya..

It dosen't matter where you work at.
there going to be drugs or alcohol presents
at some level. there's always going to be social drinkers
or people that havn't hit bottom yet...lol
It's the american way of life..go to work and get blizts.
I can't hide from that fact forever.

it's just a matter of me staying clean and sober no matter
and becuase i want to.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Determined

Originally Posted by bfree4u View Post
i am there too make money and better my living situation. If I start spending the money I do make on crap it will make all the working a waste of my time.
Im gonna work and try to stay focused and if I get to the point that I feel like Im going to break, I will have to quit. If i start using again all the money made working will be spent anyway so why do it.
So good to see things are happening for you Beth, and I don't just mean you getting the job (Congrats by the way) but on you making the statement I quoted you know what you have to do. Stay focussed, stay strong and stay safe.

But if you can do this the money will help you move away from the A$$ehole you share home with.

Really hope this works out, but if not there will be other good luck comes your way.

Hugs

CW
Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really want to do this. Chiy your right it is fun. Its good to be around happy people. The kids anyway im not sure about the adults. They are young still innocent. Its refreshing and amuzing to look at life through their eyes.
Im gearing up for work. getting dresssed like a cowgirl and having fun with it. Im nervous, but i think I will be OK.
My main concern is that someone I know to be a heavy user is also working their and he was already lurking around last night. trying to make some side cash by offering me the poison that ruined my life and nearly killed me.
When I saw him my heart dropped cause I told him I want to stay clean and of course he just had to come see me and say hello.
He said hello and I said goodbye Im busy. I hope he stays away. Hopefully he will be to busy to travel hes working on the other side of the midway. I hope he stays there.
Ultimately it is all up to me. Like some of you pointed out there will always be drugs and alcohol around its up to me to say no thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Determined

hey Beth,

Just a quick post to see how you are today?

Hope things went ok and like BHB says you could always threaten to get police if this guy bugs you

Stay strong safe and foccused

CW
X