Notices

Life Changes

Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life Changes

Hello everyone. I am still really new to this. Sober...two days...but wanted to know what positive changes people experienced after they stopped using. I find myself caught in an inner struggle/dialog. One side says that not using alcohol will only lead to good things but the other likes to argue that the problem isn't so serious that I need to stop all toghether. I know that it is serious but denial is a biggie!

Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome mps! Glad you're here.
You asked "what are the positive changes people experienced."
Well, i have a two part answer:
1st, my positive changes were i slept better, i could remember some dreams,
the bags under my eyes started to lessen.
I feel more social with people, not as quick to get irritated.

But most important, 2nd: I don't focus on the changes, whether they are positive or negative. I say that, because you will experience changes both positive and negative. And, you will experience problems with your sobriety. Simply because all of us have problems in life.
So, i focus SOLELY on not drinking each day.
I've decided that is my ultimate good.

Thanks for asking!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mps,

I think denial is a huge part of addiction. And, recognizing the 'addict voice' is a big step in being able to deal with addiction. Once you know the voice and that it is your enemy, you can learn to disregard it and move forward.

The positives of sobriety cannot be overstated, in my opinion. Of course, it doesn't mean that every day is going to be wonderful. But, I have learned to know that the 'not wonderful' days are temporary.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Mps...Yea that was me too...I needed to stop because i was having consequences from doing so. But at the same time they werent enough that made it bad enought that i thought I should quit.
I went through that conflict in my mind for years.
And when I did get some clean time..I was like I can handle it better this time.
Yea right. It progressively got worse.
And harder to start over each time.
This is a great board with lots of support and info.
Hope to see you posting more.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
398.gif (81.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey mps,

Well-I'm fairly new to recovery-but I have some positives to share....

Waking up not hungover-while it may sound small-is such a wonderful feeling for me given that for the past 6 months I woke up every day feeling like crap.

I have more energy now-I actually like doing things rather than sitting down and drinking.

It may sound weird but-my sense of taste and smell are better.I actually enjoy my food whereas before-I was just eating to absorb the alcohol.I get hungry now-never used to till dinner time.

I am beginning to recognise my 'alcoholic voice' and stop it from trying to tempt me back into how I used to be.(I've slipped up with this one-but even that was a learning experience.)

I still get anxious, I still get cravings-but I now know it WILL pass and I can ride it out.I also know I could 'fall' at any time-but I'm becoming increasingly aware of my triggers-so now I don't talk to anyone, go anywhere or do anything(kidding, kidding)

I know there will be tons more positives the further along I get-but for now-these feel good to me.Focusing on today-rather than the rest of my life-helps too.

Rose xox
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi mps!

Denial - yes it's huge! I know it's hard to see real positives when you're so new to sobriety - but I'll put it this way: if it weren't positive, I wouldn't get sober and stay that way. I would go back to drinking if I were miserable, and I'm not - I'm anything but. I still have dark days but they've got nothing on the great days I've had since getting sober. Stick with us!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Your words are so encouraging and it's really nice to hear from people who break the illusion of being alone in this--addiction. I'm definately starting recognize "that voice" now I just need to listen to my "good voice" that says "hey, don't listen to that crap."

There is an excitement to waking up NOT hungover(withs self-respect as opposed to shame) and actually accomplishing things...and to stop worrying about the possibility of losing my job as a result of missed work days...yikes.

Thank you guys.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope you keep posting - so glad you are here with us
Old 06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Hi mps, I am somehwat new to recovery myself but I've relapsed a number of times. I understand that inner monologue very well. You don't want to hit a bottom further than what you have already hit, trust me. I am glad you are here!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah...there doesn't seem to be an actual "fixed bottom" I've realized it just goes continues to go down, down, down. I'm tired of "testing" that/ myself. I don't have control over alcohol as much as I would really love to.

And I realized the fact that I envy people who do have control just reenforces the fact that I need to steer clear! Again, Thank you everyone for your resposes. I'm looking forward to staying sober and getting out of my own way!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi MPS, I am glad you are here also!!! You asked for some positive changes that came with sobriety, some of these took a few 24hrs, but they happened none-the-less. Lets see......

I asked God to come back into my life only to find he never left!!!
No warrants out for my arrest...
Legal drivers license....
I sleep at night...
I love me today, imperfections and all...
I am grateful for everything...good-bad-and inbetween, they make me who I am (see above)...
My family loves and trusts me again (who'd a thunk!!)....
I can hold a job and do it well....
I have good credit (that one took some years)...
My Son has never known a Mom who drinks!! (He does know I an alcoholic!)
I have and can be a good friend...forever friends...
I like being around other women and cherish their friendship...
I have a place to live that is stable (I moved 19 times in two years before I got sober)...
I remember what I did last night...
I get to be a part of Sober Recovery...

Way to many to list...but it is wonderful living life instead of trying to forget that I am part of the human race!!

Good luck...Cathy
Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't hate life anymore.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

God and I are best friends

My family and friends want me around

I have a new joy and purpose in life

My self esteem soared

Recovery Rocks!