meeting question

Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meeting question

I see that there is a Nar-Anon meeting, but by attending alanon, can I also substitute another DOC for the word alcohol?

I'm thinking I can also use the principles to apply with my relationship with my sister who used another drug. Since the focus is on ME does it matter what meeting?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think so. Some of my friends attend both; they say the difference is Al-Anon meetings tend to have more people.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

doesn't matter - alanon and naranon offer the same support. i went to both. and settled on an alanon home group. just go!

blessings, k
Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

all the same 12 steps! Like many of us, I have people I love who use drugs, or alcohol, or both. So, wherever I can find a meeting, I am happy--they say go to six meetings, including some beginner meetings, and different meetings, too. They are like ice cream flavors; some folks will want vanilla or strawberry, I prefer mint choco-chip, coffee, fudge--find some you like! ~nitelite
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Yes substitute the word "drug" in your mind for the word "alcohol" in all the literature.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heard it all before

When I was looking for NarAnon meetings in my area there were none and the lady I was speaking to on the phone said that I could attend AlAnon meetings instead because 'a drug is a drug'.
I'm sure you could get help there as well.
Good luck!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Because I live in the city and do not drive I have to attend Al-Anon although my addict abuses drugs. I substitute and receive the same support. Many times I also find that those there also have loved once who have both alcohol and drug abuse. At first I felt odd about sharing when my share was about drug use and others were about alcohol but it all comes down to the same reactions from loved ones and the same need to detach and the same behavior to stop reacting from.

We all need to get our lives back- any substance can deplete us and we deserve to have support of any kind during this time.