Loss of Kitty......Surprising Support

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss of Kitty......Surprising Support

Yesterday was a kind of bittersweet day for me. Our kitty of 14 yrs. has been sick for quite some time now. I was away last week at my summer place for a few days and my Ad was staying at my house. Only since she has been clean was she permitted to stay. I was worried about kitty and I knew she would be there for her, and she was. She took really good care of her. When I got home, my daughter had a heart to heart talk with me about kitty. She said, "mom I think it is time for you to let go, it is not fair to kitty because she is suffering so" I was so relieved that she made that descision. It initially was her cat, but of course when she became an addict it was my cat. I became very close to her, kitty was comforting when I needed someone. The vet told me it would come to putting her down. I kept putting it off because I knew what it would do to my daughter. She has been clean and I didn't want this to push her over the edge. In the past her way to handle things like this would be to cover up the pain with drugs. Well, I knew I had to do what was best for kitty. I called my daughter and told her I was having kitty put down. I asked her if she wanted to see her before I took her. To my surprise she said she wanted to go with me. Together we went to do what we had to do. She held kitty for a long time and cried. Then I held kitty and I told my daughter that her dad will be happy to see kitty. He had a nickname for her and he loved that cat.
We cried together and consoled each other. We spent the next few hours together.
My daughter said she was really okay and was happy that she could do this without the help of drugs to get her through it. She really amazed me..........that was not usually the way she would have handled it. She didn't let me down and she didn't let herself down. We were both sad, but both proud.
I have learned to take one day at a time.............for now things are okay.

Lois
Old 06-20-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for your kitty, but so happy about your daughter!! God answers prayers,
love ya,
susan
Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Wow Lobo...strange how things come full circle huh?
I'm sure that Kitty knows...
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear Lobo,

I am so sorry about the loss of your kitty. It's amazing how such a small creature can have such a big place in our hearts and in our lives.

My dog turned 13 in April. She is a Doberman / Rott mix. She is one of the kindest souls I have ever met. She is in wonderful health right now, but at 13 I know eventually I will have to face what you and your daughter did. I am glad that the two of you were able to be there for your kitty. I hope I am with my dog when she passes. She deserves that.

Hugs,

Lithloren
Old 06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I have had to do this so many times. I do so love my animals more than anyone or anything but when it is time, it is time.

I am so sorry for your loss but I am glad for how it was handled and how your daughter faced it.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Pets can become such a part of the family. I'm sorry for your loss of Kitty but I'm glad your daughter handled everything well.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your kitty.
I completely understand the comfort she has provided.
On Monday, I had my boyfriend committed to a state facility for substance abusers for the next 30 days. The only true comfort I have found has been in our 4 month old puppy that we got 2 months ago. She's the only one that looks around the apartment for him like I do. She finds the things that smell like him and falls asleep on them. She's also the only one who saw him as out of control as I did. She was there with me every minute of the nightmare we lived through this weekend. Every strange bed we slept in to get away from the apartment, every new place we went to try to get him help, every phone call I had to make - she was there. Although I've always had pets as part of the family, and loved them accordingly, I have never had a bond with an animal like I have with this little puppy. People offer to take her for the night, so I can relax and not have to take her out and whatnot - but they don't understand that she's the only thing that gets me into the apartment. The only reason I can lay in bed at night knowing he's away in a cell is because she's laying there with me. Like me, the first thing she does when she wakes up is roll over to kiss him (well, she more looks to jump on his head... but same idea...).
I can't imagine the pain of losing an animal that has provided so much comfort through pain that, until circumstances like this, one can't even imagine. I am so sorry for your loss.
I hope that, years from now, when our puppy is old and suffering, he is there with me, drug free, as your daughter was, to hold my hand through it all.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of comfort. I was packing up the little dishes today that kitty ate out of and a few of her other things...........I was feeling a little sad so I went out for a while. In my travels I found a little ceramic cat with angels wings on her back. I bought it and put it in my computer room where I spend most of my time. It made me feel good.........a little reminder that when she was put to sleep she got her wings. It might sound silly to some, but I truly loved that cat. She was part of my family. She was always there for me no matter what. She always was there for comfort when I would cry over my daughter. Losing a pet is tough.........thank you your kind words.
Lo
Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It doesnt sound the least bit silly, Lobo... it sounds like you loved your kitty and that she was very blessed to have been a part of your family. I've had to put down my 2 old beloved cats in the past 2 yrs, both at 17 yrs of age, and each time it was a very sad time for me. I have added more kitties to the family, because my house and life require cat companions.

Many understanding hugs
Cats
Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lobo, I am sorry for the loss of your cat. My little Chihuahua, Petey, is special to me because he was my AD's dog. I always babysat him when she went to work, college, etc. So he was already part of my family before I had to take him from her. He sleeps with me at night and listens to my prayers and we have our special kissing and petting time. I love all my dogs, but Petey gives me a bond still with my daughter because we both love him. I always say a prayer that one day she will get clean and that she can have Petey back because he has many years left to live and love. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Lobo))) I'm sorry and sad with you, my Toby is getting old and isn't well and I now my heart will break.

I am glad your daughter came with you and handled this so well.

Prayers for all of you and for angel kitty too.

Hugs
Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lobo,
Hugs to you. And a warm hug for your daughter too. The loss of a pet is very hard. They become a member of your family. Im sorry for you. At least your kitty is with the dad now. Maybe this can bring you and daughter close for today.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your warm and comforting words. One thing about these beautiful little creatures is that they are always there for us and love us no matter what. I love animals and have been lucky to have made them as a part of my family. I had a beautiful litttle Bischon dog. He had cancer and died last year. I think I'm done now. I go out a lot and go away a lot so I decided no more animals. I don't want to worry about them anymore. I think now I am just going to enjoy my grandaughter.........and maybe, just maybe there will be more grandchildren.
You have all been so kind.............thank you for being there for me. I know when anything happens I always have kind friends to turn to on SR.
Lois
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Marle, I'm so glad that you have Petey. Someday your daughter will come back for him. Then you'll fight over him. ( : Having him is like having a piece of your daughter with you every night. Give him a kiss for me too.

Hugs............Lo
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((lobo))))

So sorry for your loss. I totally believe there is a kitty and puppy place in heaven...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cats, I should have known that your life requires cat companions. Duh!!
I love them they are so sweet and cuddley. Enjoy your kitties.
Luv........Lo
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((((((((((Lobo)))))))))
Sorry about your kitty but your daughter handled it so well, and so did you.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Splendra.........I believe that our animals do go to heaven. Thank you.

Lo
Old 06-21-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Lobo.. I had 4 cats.. now I have five with the addition of Oliver. The infamous 4 have been with me since I had the dairy farm.. saw it all and have moved with me 5 times in 9 years. Oliver is new.. and so very smart. The infamous 4 hissed and carried on but now are starting to play with him.

This mix also includes my 6 month old GS puppy.

I surely know what you mean by those cat comfort things going on. Naughty is my Avatar and he is just the best.. and smart. One of the smartest animals I have ever shared my time with. He is 10 years old.

My idea of heaven is a place where there is beautiful green grass and wild flowers with clear streams and deep woods and perfect temperature and humidity and all my animals are there and I am too.. and we can all talk to each other. None of the horses are lame and all the cows are content. Nothing bad is there and there is nothing but peace, joy and love.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elana View Post

My idea of heaven is a place where there is beautiful green grass and wild flowers with clear streams and deep woods and perfect temperature and humidity and all my animals are there and I am too.. and we can all talk to each other. None of the horses are lame and all the cows are content. Nothing bad is there and there is nothing but peace, joy and love.
That sounds nice Elana.
I had 2 cats named Jack and Buddy (the butter bean!) He looked like the cat on this picture..I had them since they were kittens and they lived to be 17 and 19!! They outlasted all my significant-other type relationships!!

They were the coolest cats..like little furry people...but much better hunters and more forgiving...

I'm so sorry for your cat, but i am happy to hear about your daughter.