Hands Across The Time Zones...Part 6

This thread is a continuation of

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

Enjoy!...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

My last post on HATZ Part 5

Hmmmmn...I guess if I were looking for an excuse to drink, I could find one...even in this nursing home with about 200 patients (about 3/4 of whom are senile, in dementia, or having alzheimer's). Every week, someone is either dying, close to it, or falling out of bed and being rushed to the hospital...sometimes they even come back here. Although I'm pretty much confined to a wheelchair, I'm one of the few with all their mental faculties intact.

Would you believe, when we play poker a couple of times a week, they actually have Dooley's non-alcoholic beer to drink!?! Ain't no such animal, of course...it's actually 5%. I could have a nice cold Dooley's (even though I never liked beer), and con myself into thinking I was still clean and sober...who would know? The most important person...ME! Nope...no excuse is a good enough excuse...not for this alcoholic.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

That's a good post Rae . Stick to your convictions... you're one of my heroes here on SR .
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

GOOD WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON!

Just came back from the weekly bbq...always a lot of people because friends and family can join us for a free lunch.

We have enough activities so we're not bored, I guess. Bingo is the big thing...every night at 6:00...also, a "cash bingo" on Saturday afternoon...you can win as much as $5.00 for the jackpot.

A movie is shown every day, except Sunday, right after lunch.

They also have silly little games for some of the dementia patients. And, when they don't have Bingo, a few of us "Card Sharks" get together to play poker.

Once a month, they have a bus ride...decided by the residents, and usually only about 20 go...this month it was to Atlantic City. I haven't gone on any of the rides yet...maybe in July when they're supposed to go to the Pt. Pleasant boardwalk. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Hi all! Hey Rae, Jenny is jumping around these days like a spring chicken. I love taking her to the groomer she leaves there thinking she is a puppy again, it is so cute. School ends tomorrow, looking forward to a long realxing summer (ha) who am I kidding, Kai has me all over the place. We have 3 weeks of swim lessons starting on Monday, a week of camp for F and G man and then 16 wonderful days in Seattle, MAX... I am coming to town on the 22 of July! We'll be home on the 6th with not a plan until the first day of school. We would like to come visit you Rae! I am not home much but hope to get a call out to you soon.

ps I am 30 days nicotine free. Frank brought me a Key Lime pie from Junior's Bakery... ooooh delish!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hey, Paula...good to "see" you. Love the pic of Kai with the shampoohorn!

Jenny was very lucky to be adopted by you...I don't know exactly when she was born, but John and I picked July 14th to celebrate each year (it was my brother's birthday, so easy for us to remember). She is 11 years old right about now...my gosh, (in doggy years) she's two years older than me!!!

Don't know when you're going to fit me in for a visit...but, I look forward to it.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another chapter in this section.....WOW......

rae .....hang in there and know that I know how you feel.....have some neighbors in a care facility.....and they are doing ok....but the old man is failing in health......in that he thinks he is back at war...............NOT GOOD.....his wife is in her own world......

But life goes on no matter what...........they have no place else to go for now and the daughter didn't move them to a better place like she said in April...........when she had so much trouble with this place.................I don't like to go there much as the staff isn't doing their best and that is too bad............

On a lighter note..........I am doing all I can to make summer fun for my little one..................and trying to get things done for me...........Not always easy......

I need more energy and time in my day to do all...............

Have a good day everyone.......I am thinking about you while I go to our Flower Festival.............this is big here in my little town.....as I live outside town and glad to be away from all the bad boys that want to have gangs in their lives.........gangs are bad and maybe someday these kids will change......I think for as small as this town is we should flush out the gangs that have started.............................

Little Penguin
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Sounds like everyone is busy doing "Summertime" things and enjoying the warmer weather.

I have to smile when I think back to the days when most of my days/nights were spent in the local pub...didn't matter what the weather was like outside. Even before the ac's were installed, and it was hot as blue blazes, we would swelter with the huge floor fans blowing the hot air around. What a fun time!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't like to think about that rae......I never hit the Pubs.....just hid someplace by myself.........just wanted to do my own thing alone........and when others were asleep.............

Stupid ....I guess.............

I am doing ok and the swimming thing is over till monday.........didn't like the swim teacher my little one had......the teacher didn't want to be there for the kids and that is bad.....So I said something........................today the last day the teacher didn't show and someone else filled in for her...........and the kids got to do things their original teacher didn't do........like swim under the water to pick things up off the bottom of the pool.........

I felt the kids got cheated out of two weeks they could have learned more .....................so much more.............waste of 25.00 .......Oh well..................On to the next two weeks.

Little Penguin
Old 06-23-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another day and another moment to look back and know I have done the right thing for me to move on with my recovery.......

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and I will be thinking about you all as I enjoy the flower festival here.....and the parade.........

Little Penguin
Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I have to smile when I think back to the days when most of my days/nights were spent in the local pub...didn't matter what the weather was like outside. Even before the ac's were installed, and it was hot as blue blazes, we would swelter with the huge floor fans blowing the hot air around. What a fun time!
Of course, I was being sarcastic, Penguin...it wasn't all that much fun...but, we tried to convince ourselves it was.

It doesn't hurt to think back to what fools we were and what foolish things we did. "He who forgets to remember is doomed to repeat."
Old 06-24-2007, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING!

I won a total of $5.00 between the afternoon and evening Bingo games! For someone who gets a whopping $35. after Medicaide takes their cut, that's big bucks! Heck...I'm practically self-supporting!

Today, we have the Sunday afternoon social...coffee and. The food may not be four star, but we can't say we're underfed.

No Bingo tonight, so there will probably be a hot poker game. Of course, I can always go on the pc and play bridge or other games.

Have a super duper day, y'all (that's my South Jersey drawl).
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

The longer I'm here, the more I'm learning about my fellow residents. I would never be so insensitive as to ask, "Why are you here?"; but, little by little, the stories come out...and, some of them are frightening.

For instance, there's a handsome 45-year-old man...was a fireman, has three gorgeous children, a very pretty wife (who is in the process of divorcing him). He's been here since September, and the first explanation I heard was he had suffered a stroke. He did "stroke out" as a result of combining drugs and alcohol! His speech and motor skills are affected...but, he's as intelligent as can be...too bad he wasn't smart enough not to mix his drugs of choice. What a waste!

There's a woman in her late thirties...she looks more like sixty. I thought she had cerebral palsy...turns out she was an alcoholic and also "had a stroke". Her adorable 17-year-old son came to visit her the other day...too sad to watch as he wheeled her out to the garden area.

I wonder how many more alcohol/drug related stories there are here. Makes me realize even more how fortunate I am.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi rae....glad you still have a sense of humor among many other things.............sorry i didn't get it .......guess I am off a bit and busy with more than I want..............

sounds like you have some young people that are going to be around your place for a while..........too bad that they got the alcohol to mess up their lives .........the firefighter is in bad shape and too bad his wife wants to be an exwife..........he could pull out of his problem and move on with his life in time...........but he will have to do it on his own with the wife wanting a divorce............

Wish I were there to see you and all these people...........But I am too far away....................Oh well....

Doing ok for today........taking things slow and working with the new dog........need lots of work done to help the cat and stop the carpet chewing.......................I will get there..........

Little Penguin
Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Time for all you lovely people to rise and shine.......the day is waisting......................and the sun is out for us to enjoy.......

I have gone for a walk and gone to the pool to watch my little one swim..........the day is almost gone now........But I still have things to do........................Have a good day............

Little Penguin
Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Summertime, and the HATZ'ers are so busy, we slipped to Page No. 2. That's what sobriety will do for you!

Glad you're all having fun...but, drop in to let us know you're OK!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

GOOD FRIDAY AFTERNOON!

It's cooler today, and the flowers in the garden area are getting some well-needed moisture, since it's been really hot and sunny for over a week.

I'm instigating again...got permission from the facilities Director to pipe patriotic music into the courtyard and set off sparklers at 9:00pm Wednesday evening. Now, I just have to round up enough residents who can stay awake past 9:00pm! LOL
Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

As The Nursing Home Turns... new soap . Sounds interesting there anyway Rae.

Today was cooler here in NJ as Rae mentioned. Overcast and a bit of rain this am after storms all last night. The kids stayed in an caught up on their computer activites lol since We've been at the pool almost everyday. I tan... they swim.

Walked this morning before the rain started up again,did some grocery shopping and stuff like that... nothing else much to report.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow.....Nursing home fun......Can I come over...? may be the only fun I get to enjoy except for my own yard......................but will have a good 4th when it comes..................

kinda down a bit and need to go.............don't want to depress anyone.............................Little Penguin
Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

GOOD SUNDAY AFTERNOON!

Partly cloudy day...a cool breeze, too. Just had a roasted chicken leg...edible, but could have been better. Sunday afternoon social at 2:30...assorted desserts and coffee.

Can't believe the year is half over...and, I've been here five months. YIKES!