Can someone please exactly what a codependent is?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone please exactly what a codependent is?

Also a lot of acronyms are used here and I have no idea what they mean.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Doing things for others as a control.
Doing things for others even though they can do it for themself.
Doing so much for others that you train them to become lazy and reliant on you.
Doing things for others because it is easier then what may come if you say no...makes a person become an enabler for others.
(a mix of the above or extremes of any one)

A codie is not a bad thing. A codie that does things to extremes is when real issues can come about.

The best place to find the answer would be to read....
Melody Beattie -- Codependent No More

added note...
A codependant is a rescuer.
Was just reminded of that when I heard someone outside say...
Please don't leave me (with tears) ... as I jump up to see if there was anything I could do.

Last edited by best; 06-16-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best View Post
Doing things for others as a control.
Doing things for others even though they can do it for themself.
Doing so much for others that you train them to become lazy and reliant on you.
Doing things for others because it is easier then what may come if you say no...makes a person become an enabler for others.
(a mix of the above or extremes of any one)

A codie is not a bad thing. A codie that does things to extremes is when real issues can come about.

The best place to find the answer would be to read....
Melody Beattie -- Codependent No More

added note...
A codependant is a rescuer.
Was just reminded of that when I heard someone outside say...
Please don't leave me (with tears) ... as I jump up to see if there was anything I could do.
Then I'm not a co-dependent despite what many others here have said. Having a relationship with an alcoholic does not automatically make someone a codependent. I get tired of hearing people talk out of their butts. I will say that living with an alcoholic is a form of self torture. Had I known this person had this problem to such an extent and what effect it would have upon me, I would have never gotten involved. But, once you love them, it is very hard. You just hope it stops.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
Having a relationship with an alcoholic does not automatically make someone a codependent.
I don't think co-dependency is a disease, sad#3. I do believe it's a state that can exist when the person who lives with the addict/alcoholic begins to behave and think in certain ways. Those ways revolve around the addict and their addiction. When my thoughts are always on the alcoholic, what he or she is doing; is she drinking tonight; will he drink tomorrow; is my life doomed because I'm with an alcoholic; how will "we" lick this problem, etc. This is not a healthy way for me to live my life.

My opinion, based on the posts you've been making here, is that you have become co-dependent, as I did after several years of being with AH. It's only my opinion - please take what you like and leave the rest. The good news is you do not have to end the relationship with someone you love if that is not your desire. But there are ways to relieve the anxiety and stress of living with an alcoholic. I'd suggest forgetting the labels and seeking the help.

Take care of YOU and the situation improves.

((()))
Old 06-17-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Denny57 sad#3. Based on your past posts here, it sounds like you've become codependent. You once said that you feel the need to take care of your girlfriend like she's a child. That is definitely codependent talk. Trying to control drinking, obsessing over drinking, looking for cures for drinking (for them), etc. - All codependent behaviors. Having lived with an alcoholic for over 10 years, I would think it would be hard, even impossible, NOT to become codependent. Learning to become UN-codependent...that's definitely possible. For me, I can't live with my AH without being codependent to some degree or another. But there are some here who are still living with an active alcoholic and doing so without being codependent.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sad,im not sure either what a codependant is.Been going to Al-anon for many years now.Codependent,only started being used in the late 90,s by ---members---but you will not see this word in any Al-anon litiure.One can become obbessive,over the alcoholic,where one is not living their lives.
From my own personal,experience,when another describes"me",and it doesnt make any kind of sence to me,i just simply take it as it is.And that is,that this is their opinion of me,based on their own preceptions,of, their own lives,and experiences.Sometimes they have hit the nail on the head,other times they are off based completely.I dont let it control me,or have power.I just follow the 12 steps of Al-anon,and changes begin in me.The best way that i know how to live with an alcoholic,and have joy,peace,within myself is by working on my own recovery.Ive been called names,by members,too,by closedmindness,but that IS life on lifes terms.So i accept,it,but know that other peoples experiences,dont need to be mine also.because it so far hasnt been...smile...
keep on,keeping on,with your recovery!!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Even as a recovered alcoholic, I find these "co-dependant" tendecies cropping up from time to time. I have said before, and I know that some took offense, but I've found the being co-dependant is a fancy way of saying that I am selfish, self-centered, and self-seeking.

I depend on the approval of others for my sense of well-being. I need others to behave in a certain way so that I can feel ok. I even use others for my own gain. The AA book talks about being self-seeking even when trying to be kind. That is called being a people pleaser and/or manipulating others through acts of kindness so that they will behave.

An example. Several years ago my son flunked out of college and went back home to his mom's house and basically mooched off of her and her husband. I'd already told him that he couldn't live at my house if he wasn't working or in school. For about a year, he was shiftless, causing both his mother and I some distress. About the only time he called was when he wanted some money or needed bailed out of a jam. And the resentment was building. One day he called needing $400 to get his car out of impound and I came unglued at him.

Being an alcoholic, I cannot live with resentment. So I wrote a little Fourth Step around the problems I was having with my son. In the fourth column there are some questions:
Where have I been selfish? well I was selfish because I was only concerned about how I felt.
Where was I dishonest? I was dishonest in several ways. First by thinking that how my son lives is any of my business at all. Then by playing God and wanting him to be the way I think he should be. And also by not having an honest talk with him. The next question is:
Where was I self-seeking? Well I was being self-seeking because if my son would GET A JOB AND GET HIS ACT TOGETHER, I WOULD FEEL OK. So you see, it wasn't about a concern for my son at all, but about how I felt.

The last question was where am I Frightened? Well, I was afraid that my son screwing up his life would reflect badly on me and others would think I was a bad parent.

Hope this rambling mess makes sense.
Jim
Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CO----Dependent..

well you know...like co-workers..co-aurthers.
You show up to work and mengle with your co-works
and they yell you...do this..do that..or you ain't
going to fit in, get accepted or get a pay check...
so you become dependent on the check and
put up with BS, self absorbing bosses.
But everytime you try to leave...you're too damn
tired from all the the damn work to go look somewhere
else..so you stay..but every so often..I actaully think
you might have the nerve to walk out...then the damn
boss after these years just throw a little bit of money
at ya....it's still freanken pee nuts..becuase you actaully
wheel and deal million dallor contracts for the sob.
but he always promise he would pay you a percentage
but the day never comes..and he treats you like crap
or aviod you during those times.
But you went out and bought more damn craps..so
you gotta pay the damn bills...so you drag you
ass into work depending on the damn check..but you're
still tick off as hell..becuase the promises was never kept...
and you beat up yourself and scracth your damn head..
even thou deep inside...you know..it's just a bunch of crap.
So you just go through the moments just to survive..
unhappy as hell..until oneday...You have had enough.
But since you live like that for so damn long and everybody
else is doing it...you struggle within yourself.
Everynight before you go to bed....you ask yourself
or tell yourself...F@## !!!...there has to be more to life
then this...but you wake up the next day and drag your ass
into work again..Oh you have you own litte office and
a bunch of square papers with a title on it...just like
any damnm label...yee pee I Ah..I'm a manager..
to feed your dependency some more..

becuase your boss is just about as drunk as any other
drunk out there...

Your still doing or participating in alcoholism or addiction.
In other words....your life still centers around drugs or alcohol.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Hi Sad,im not sure either what a codependant is.Been going to Al-anon for many years now.Codependent,only started being used in the late 90,s by ---members---but you will not see this word in any Al-anon litiure.
Where I live, if the word co-dependent is used in a meeting you can see people controlling their tongues LOL! At some point someone will mention it's a term not used in Al-Anon literature and an "outside" issue.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it totally blew my mind in a book i was reading..
it mentions that I had co=dependency relationship
with my boss..or I a codi regradless if i was in a
personal or intimate relationship or not..

So when I look at the reationship i had with my boss
there was so many simularities with the relationship
i had with my GF and priviouse relationships i had.
I was dependent on others for my happiness.
I waited others to get their sheit together and i seek
approval from them. I bascially vulunteered myself to
be a pond in some else's lives. i had hope or somehow
i thought love would conquer all which feed into the
insanity of it all..

so to recover from that ment I needed to be independent.
and start loving myself again.
But it was so overwhelming..i felt so much guilt and shame.

So..i need to seek help from other who had walked
this path before me. These are the people that can
help me.. because it gets confusing as heck sometimes.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

An interesting passage from drirene.com

Some of the nicest people I know are codependent. They always smile, never refuse to do a favor. They are happy and bubbly all the time. They understand others and have the ability to make people feel good. People like them!

So, what is wrong with this? Nothing, really, unless the giving is one-sided and so excessive that it hurts the giver. Then, the giver is showing the signs of codependence.

Partners who go out of their way for each other are interdependent. Only relatively healthy people are capable of interdependent relationships, which involve give and take. It is not unhealthy to unilaterally give during a time when your partner is having difficulty. You know your partner will reciprocate should the tables turn. Interdependency also implies that you do not have to give until it hurts. By comparison, in a codependent relationship, one partner does almost all the giving, while the other does almost all the taking, almost all of the time.

By giving, codependent people avoid the discomfort of entitlement. Giving allows them to feel useful and justifies their existence. Rather than simply approving of themselves, codependent people meet their need for self-esteem, by winning their partner’s approval. Also, because they lack self-esteem, codependent people have great difficulty accepting from others. One must feel deserving and entitled in order to accept what is offered.

Codependent behavior is not easy. It requires a lot of work. It hurts. These individuals typically suffer with low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and especially guilt, as well as other painful thoughts and feelings. They judge themselves using far stricter criteria than they use to measure the performance of others. While they are brutally critical of their own misbehavior, they are very good at justifying and excusing the misbehavior of others.

Codependent people misplace their anger. They get angry when they shouldn't, and don't get angry when they should. They have little contact with their inner world and thus very little idea about how they feel. Usually, they don't want to know because it gives rise to painful emotions. It is easier to stay on the surface and pretend things are peachy keen, rather than deal with the stuff going on inside.

If they were to look inside, they would find their emotional starvation. They are busy taking care of others. Yet, they do not meet their own needs!

They may put up with abusive relationships or relationships that are not fulfilling because any warm body beats (gasp) no warm body. Being alone is perceived as scary, empty, depressing, etc. After all, who will deliver their emotional supplies? Who will distract them so there is no time to deal with their inner life? Even an abusive relationship is better than no relationship.

These loving, giving people find interesting ways of explaining their behavior to themselves. Loyal to a fault, a codependent individual is likely to rationalize a loved one's disrespectful behavior by making excuses for them. "He doesn't mean it." "It was not done with malice." "It is the best he can do." "She had such an awful childhood." Etc., etc., etc.

The central concept is that the codependent individual "takes it" and "understands," despite feeling hurt. Waiting for brownie points in heaven, or for a loved one to be magically healed through their persistent love and care taking, they accept disrespect from others. It does not occur to the codependent person that it is not OK to "take it" and "put up" no matter what!

Much of this abuse acceptance occurs without the codependent individual feeling abused! More accurately, these individuals do not feel OK enough to expect respectful treatment at all times, and to notice when it is not forthcoming. Having grown up in a home where a parent or sibling demanded inordinate attention (due to addiction, illness, anger, or other problem), the codependent person is trained to care for others. Having grown up in a difficult environment, a negative emotional climate is experienced as normal and familiar. This is why there is often little recognition of disrespect. If their partner is angry or upset, the codependent individual will implicitly assume that they did something to cause the anger. It does not occur to them that it is their partner's responsibility to deal with their problem and to treat others respectfully. It does not occur to them that it is their responsibility to themselves to stop another person's demeaning behavior toward them. But, how can stop disrespect when misbehavior is not perceived as disrespectful or abusive? Disrespect is normal.

An unfortunate side effect of the codependent person's willingness to ignore, excuse, or otherwise allow the partner's abuse or disrespect, enables the misbehavior directed at them to continue and intensify. Implicit or explicit permission to continue misbehaving is granted since the codependent partner "understands."

Because codependent individuals are approval-driven, they cannot stand it when others are angry at or disappointed with them. As such, they unwittingly place themselves in a position to be taken advantage of. The more approval is needed, the less likely is the individual to realize the extent of their self-sacrifice in favor of tending to the needs of the other. This hurts ("Ouchhh!"), and creates or maintains depression and low self-esteem, in a vicious, downward spiral.

While abuse, disrespect, or unrequited sacrifice angers them, as it should, codependent people do not realize how angry they are and at whom they are angry! Targeting the appropriate person may jeopardize a source of approval and self-esteem. To avoid facing reality, they distort it. Codependent individuals are likely to somehow blame themselves and rationalize their "over-sensitivity." They justify the other person's behavior by thinking they must deserve the treatment they are getting. This is preferable to facing the possibility that an individual who provides a measure of their self-esteem is hurting them.
"Anger...is a signal that something is wrong and needs attention".

Anger is healthy. It is a signal that something is wrong and needs attention. However, if the source of anger is not articulated, how can it be fixed? Codependent people are expert at denying anger and turning it against the self - into sadness and depression. Instead of asking themselves why are they are putting up with… (fill in the blank), they ask themselves how they could have behaved differently - to obtain a more favorable reaction from their partner!

Unarticulated anger is often misdirected and expressed inappropriately. Anger may be experienced as resentment, expressed as an aggressive blow-up, or in passive-aggressive acting out. The cognitive and verbal skills to appropriately assert oneself are lacking.

Since codependent people are experts at controlling other people's thoughts, feelings, and behavior, they feel hurt that others don't reciprocate and "know" what they need. "If they really loved me, they would know." Not so! Since codependents do not have the self-esteem to ask for what they secretly want, they are unlikely to get it. If they do make a request, it is often a roundabout hint. If their partner cannot decipher the request, they feel hurt and unloved. They believe they conveyed their desires, when, in fact, they have not!

Because most codependent individuals are control-oriented, they are very responsible. They are great employees. Tasks are done thoroughly and on time. Even parts of the job that are not theirs get picked up if coworkers are neglectful or slow. They try to control outcomes, whether those outcomes are completed job tasks or reactions from other people. Anything for approval.

However, some codependent individuals are very irresponsible, in select or diverse life areas. They don't know how to or don't feel the need to take care of some of their own basic needs, especially if there is another person to care for instead. Why spend the time trying to figure out what the self needs, when the self doesn't really matter anyway? It is far more preferable to be out avoiding one's own issues: out having fun, hunting for a partner, or self-medicating feelings.

Codependent people are addiction prone. They may drink too much, shop too much, eat too much, etc. Dulling the senses is a great way to avoid knowing yourself and dealing with your feelings. Intimacy is avoided. Intimate behavior requires familiarity and comfort with one's internal world. Since the codependent person regards ordinary human needs as shameful, embarrassing, dangerous, or otherwise uncomfortable, meeting basic needs are often dismissed.

Any relationship that ignores the self is superficial. Unfortunately, superficial relationships are safe...but empty and unfulfilling.

Control is central to the "MO" of the codependent person. They control their self-esteem by catering to others' needs. They control by their over-responsible performance, picking up where others leave off. They control by avoiding intimacy or by clouding the mind. They control by advising others on what to do. These individuals work very hard to control everything and everybody. Yet, they neglect the one person they do have control over: themselves. Read an example of taking control here.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very good stuff. Thank you all very much!