Notices

When you've run out of options...

Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Unhappy When you've run out of options...

When you've seemingly run out of all options, what's left?.

1) Naltrexone helped me to quit many years ago and I stayed sober for a year and a half prior to relapsing but it is not working any more (even after numerous attempts). Here, might be the reason why (taken from a reputable psychiatric site)...

"Naltrexone, Once Discontinued, Loses Its Effect on Drinking".

2) Campral never really did help me sober up although a few times it seemed to have an SSRI-like effect.

3) I've never taken Antibuse and don't plan to because I need something to stop the cravings - not punish me by making me deathly ill when I have them and succomb to the alcohol.

4) I'm severely agoraphobic so sitting around a bunch of other people and sharing stories at an AA meeting is very scary and just won't work for me (google "agoraphobia" and you'll see why).

The only other things I can think of are prayer, several medications that have been used "off-label" with miraculous success to treat alcoholics or some yet-to-come revolutionary "magic bullet" that rolls down the pipeline a few years from now.

Other than these, what can I really do?. Alcohol's grip is very strong. I am weak (as many - if not all - of us are). That's a fact.

- Need4Change
Old 06-16-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

In my opinion, the only thing that stopped the cravings for me, was to get through them. Each time I got through craving without drinking, it got a little bit easier. The next time wasn't quite so hard. I got more confidence in myself and I saw the benefits of sobriety. I don't think there is any magic answer unfortunately and I hope that you continue to try to stay sober.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anna

Thank you very much for the reply. That's how it worked for me in the beginning but as I have gone through binge after binge and relapse after relapse over the last year, it has become increasingly difficult for me to stop altogether...completely. I've also read that the more times you "start and stop" the greater difficulty you experience each successive time you try to quit again. I am finding this to be true and it has become a real issue for me and I am at a complete loss as to what to do about it.

- Need4change
Old 06-16-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

relapsing is all part of our addiction not a seprate problem the solution is always the same if you have the desire to stop drinking then find a program (there are many) and work it on a daily basis, things will then change as you get well, and other addicts will help you stay clean in the early days.

Science has not yet produced a drug that will stop you being an alkie/addict.

Thinking of you.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sadly, I think it's going to take a drug that has not yet been produced to save me from this evil beast.

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
relapsing is all part of our addiction not a seprate problem the solution is always the same if you have the desire to stop drinking then find a program (there are many) and work it on a daily basis, things will then change as you get well, and other addicts will help you stay clean in the early days.

Science has not yet produced a drug that will stop you being an alkie/addict.

Thinking of you.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol N4C thats your addiction talking, we are all addicts here and many of us felt as hopeless and as 'different' as you are feeling. Instead of thinking about it just actually grab a program and try it for 90 days. what do you have to lose? Keep using and you still have plenty to lose. Our disease wants to kill us and takes us to jails institutions and finally death.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
believer

I am gonna tell you something that i've learned about personal demons...demystify the reasons that lead you to addiction if you can.break it down to the truth..if its too hard for now...then remember addiction it's a lie that we tell ourselves, that we search to fill an emotional need..and we try to fill it with physical things and substances...

I know it's incredibly hard, but i also know it's possible,and more than that: you don't need to be hopeless ever again! as long as you are trying you are making it...don't stop...you know better now....you'll do better!

stay strong
Old 06-16-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

thats right, when you log in here at SR you are surrounded by hope and when you get a program you will surrounded by hope so stay in hope.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Cravings....Yes! I also had them in early recovery.

I timed mine...they were only a few minutes....7 at most.
I drank water...brushed my theeth...danced around...walked.

Action worked great...and I can stand most anything for such a short discomfort.

The longer I have remained sober....they lessened in both severity and duration.
This can be true for you too!

You have to want to be sober
more than you want to drink.