3rd Seizure today

Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd Seizure today

Must be a string of withdrawal seizures. Wow.
Stbxah was with a friend trying to help him do some construction work I guess.
Of course he wanted to be somewhat sober to help him.
They stopped for lunch went into the cafe, & the next thing he remembers is the stretcher in the ambulance.
Same old same old, if you ask me. Of course to him - this is it, I'm not going to drink again.
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
I see him walking out of the hospital and drinking within a week, two tops.
Of course liver function tests are off, the nurse (who I used to work with) noticed his eyes are yellow. I noticed his lazy eye was more pronounced.
I guess he hit his head this time - I suppose they're watching that too.
I brought two of the kids to see him. They gave him a hug, he wanted one from me - but he just takes everything the wrong way. I knew if I gave him a hug - he would think we were getting back together.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

3rd Serzure today

I know I'm ignorant on a lot of things. Do the seizures mean advanced alcoholism, or are some alcoholics just more prone to seizures than others? I really need some input. If the alcoholic stops drinking, do the seizures have a chance of stopping as well?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Crisscross...hugs to you.

I'm sorry you have to see your AH so sick and getting worse. It really just sucks, to put it plainly.

I'm feeling pretty emotionally wiped out...and I don't have anything particularly helpful to say tonight. But I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you. And wish you the best with your situation. And a big ole hug too.

luv, neg.

P.S.

LovesLife...I am no expert on the physiological manifestations of alcoholism, all I know is what I've read in books on the subject. So...having given that lil' disclaimer... According to what I've learned so far is that there are, indeed, various stages of alcoholism, but that every single person is different. Thus, a person could drink like a fish for their whole life and never have a seizure, while another could drink for a few years and then have one if they try to stop. From what I understand, seizures are usually brought on when the A trys to cut down or stop drinking. This is why detoxing w/o medical supervision is so dangerous. An A's body has become dependent on the alcohol, and when that supply is cut off, it can send the whole system into crisis. My A, for example, has been drinking heavily everyday for "only" about 3-4 years. But he is already displaying some of the late stage symptoms. I know that many A's can drink and drink for decades w/o any seizures or dementia. I have no idea why this varies.

I, too, used to know absolutely nothing about any of this...when I began to realize that my husband had a major problem I began to read books on alcoholism. I'd go to the bookstore and read for hours. Reading old posts, here at SR, also was quite educational. I recommend in addition to coming to friends&family, also doing some reading over on the alcoholism boards.

So, welcome LovesLife!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, and I should have mentioned, that as far as know, if the seizures are alcohol/detox related then yes, they should cease if the A stops drinking after going through a medically supervised detox.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From what I understand, seizures are usually brought on when the A trys to cut down or stop drinking. This is why detoxing w/o medical supervision is so dangerous.
Yup. Never had them myself , Thank God. Everything else but....
Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Royalty

Yellowish eyes are definately a sign of liver malfunction. (no idea if that has any relationship to seizures). My AH has been drinking for about 25 years (thank you NAVY.....for not teaching him any useful skills, just how to drink like a FISH)...he's never had any seizures, but of course he has never really totally quit drinking either. He has cut back tremendously, and maybe went as long as five days without drinking (once). I would almost welcome a seizure so that he would get a clue what this is doing to his body...but unforntunately, it is only affecting his mind. He thinks its part of "being a man" to not be able to remember ANYTHING...

Thanks for sharing, and showing how strong you are to not fall to pieces. If my AH had a seizure, I would probably be standing beside him saying something like.....oh, trying to manipulate me some MORE huh? (j/k - I would think it, but not say it )
Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovesLife View Post
I know I'm ignorant on a lot of things. Do the seizures mean advanced alcoholism, or are some alcoholics just more prone to seizures than others? I really need some input. If the alcoholic stops drinking, do the seizures have a chance of stopping as well?
If seizure are pure alcohol withdrawal seizures, they may go away after detox, rehab, sobriety. The problem is alcoholics tend to get head injuries which may in itself cause a seizure disorder. If they are from a traumatic (head injury) disorder then it is much less likely they will go away.