My speech on Crack....

Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My speech on Crack....

A lot of you asked me a while back to post the speech that I did on crack... here it is.. its in outline form.. but you all will get the idea...

I INTRODUCTION

A. This semester you all have heard me talk about Legal Secretaries, my mom and how to make a pretty awesome taco dip. In each of those speeches I have been able to throw some humor into them, but what I am about to talk about is not even remotely funny and is not humorous in the least.... crack cocaine.

B. I did not know a thing about any drug whatsoever, but on March 9 of this year, the man that I want to spend the rest of my life with “introduced” me to what could happen when someone relapses or decides to take that all so powerful “puff.”

C. Crack..exactly what is it? How does it affect the users life?? And How does it effect the lives of those around them??

D. Tonight I am I am going to explain to you about crack, why you should never even start drugs and why you should talk to your children about them early on.

Trans: Before we talk about the affects that crack has on you and your loved ones, lets learn a little about the drug itself.

II A. What exactly is crack, how is it abused, and who uses it.

1. Crack is produced by dissolving powered cocaine in a mixture of water and ammonia or baking soda, boiled until a solid substance forms, dried and then broken into rock-like chucks hence the term rock.

2. Crack (which gets it name from the cracking sound it makes when heated up) is almost always smoked. Although it is sometimes melted down and injected into the blood stream, most crack users prefer to light it and smoke it though a pipe of some sort.

3. Unlike cocaine which is snorted and had a high period of about 20-30 minutes, the high that one gets from smoking crack is only about 15-20 minutes.

4. Crack cocaine is not partial to race, income, age, religion, or sex. Here is a scary thought, according to National Household Survey of Drug Awareness, 6,222,000 U.S residence aged 12 and older have used crack at least once in their life of that figure 150,000 were 12-17. My son is 14 and let me tell you, this scares the hell out of me.

Trans: Now that we know just a little about the drug, let’s talk about what it does to the user and why the user keeps doing it.

B. Crack is a chaser drug, what that means is the user gets an initial rush of euphoria for about 15 minutes and tries to repeat it, although the initial rush will never come back, the effects on the user have already taken place. Crack is the hardest addiction in the world to overcome.

1. Now, let’s just say you and your buddies get introduced to crack. What’s the harm in doing something one time, right? Well, before you know it, you have drained your bank account, pawned jewelry, sold your playstation, traded your cell phone, stolen whatever you can get their hands on and even "brown bagged" All this time, the only phone call you take is from the dealer and no one else. You frantically call your dealer looking for more and Worst thing is.. next thing you realize... it’s a week later. You are now addicted.

2. Now that you are addicted, you have lost your job, your children, your house, your girlfriend/wife and you have gone nights without sleep or food. All of a sudden you run out of money and “resources” so you take whatever means necessary to get just one more rock or you realize that you screwed up and you literally pass out for days. Sleep and eat.... that is all you can do.

3. I am sure you can image what they look like. Well, let me tell you. On March 15, just 6 days after his relapse, I had standing before me the remnants of the man that I had fallen in love with. His normally gorgeous face was colorless and his beautiful blue eyes were sucken in, blood shot and glazed over. He was slurring his words, and could not remember things he had just told me. He looked like he had not showered in days and his clothes can be described as nothing short of disgusting.... This was not the man I had fallen inlove with....Needless to say... It was nothing pretty.

Trans: That is what is does to them.. now let me tell you what it does to those that love them.

C. Since crack addicts are wrapped up in the means of their next fix, they usually could care less about what all of this has done to their loved ones.

1. Chances are there is someone who will blame someone else for the relapse or the start of the drug use. There will be nasty phone calls and emails, fighting, fingers pointed and even friendships coming to an end. This is pretty typical because no one wants to just realize that the addict did this all on his own. No one else caused it.

2. Worse than that the loved ones begin to blame themselves. They get on the internet for hours in search of any answers available. They talk to friends, family and whoever else will listen, and they go to meetings, all in search to the answer to the question “Why?” They ask, what did I do to cause this, why didn’t I see the signs even though there are no signs. Some even confront the addict in the hopes of hearing the truth, but that never happens. Why? Because addicts lie, that is just what they do.

3. Lastly, they try to think of every way possible to ensure that the addict will come to their senses and that this won’t happen again. They get so caught up in trying to end the addiction they almost lose their own life. They get in their car at 3 in the morning, drive for 30 minutes only to get in their face and yell at them, hit them, threaten them, flat out call them liars, cry and then watch as their addict strains like a little 3 year old to think about what to say next. I promise you..this whole process goes on one ear and out the other.. Going straight through the addicts thought of how to get their next fix.

III. Conclusion

A. I hope that I have been able to convince you that there is nothing in the world worth the 15 minute initial high that will change your life forever and that you need to talk to your children about crack and drugs early on.

B. Crack, its not only illegal, dangerous and the most addictive drug known to man, it’s a killer of hopes, dreams, relationships and even life. So before you light that pipe, snort that line, or inject that needle, please remember that you are not only killing yourself, but you are ultimately killing those who love you.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, sounds like you spoke from your heart. Your audience must have been captivated. Hopefully they took something from your speech that will make them think. Thanks for posting. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
survivor

Thank you, I am still looking for answers that I know will never come. I am still trying to be civil to a man that doesn't deserve the time of day from me. You have explained to me that he doesn't care how he hurts anyone, and that letting go means really "letting go" of anything to do with him. I will stop trying to protect his feelings, and start to really protect me.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

thank you for sharing that very powerful post...
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Thank you
Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hope you get the "A" you deserve.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

inlovewith.................

thank you for sharing that, its strange even though I live the same thing the same life.....................it still touched me and actually brought tears to my eyes because its so very true!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

INWCH - Thank you for sharing your speech...It is incredibly powerful and I know besides getting an excellent grade you made an impact on your audience. That, in and of itself, makes a big difference. Thanks so much for posting it here. Hugs
Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

You sure get an "A+" from me....
Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That was great ..Thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Speaking from the heart and from experience says it all loud and clear. A+ from me too, and a standing ovation!!

Hugs