How you feeling?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How you feeling?

I woke up this morning and I was feeling GOOD

No, I mean physically good

The spirits had an epiphany waiting for me on my run this morning.

As I ran, I began to think of how my A felt physically, when he was active. He would no eat right, toss and turn at night, get up multiple times, hell, even talk to some fantom being, coughing, gagging, his blood pressure was high, pulse rate through the roof and I'll spare you the rest

When he was not drinking (I wouldn't call it getting sober) after about 5 days he would get nofticably physically better. Blood pressure would stabalize, apatite return, slept more soundly and deeply, breathe better, and the "red" would begin to disapate. Had a ton more energy too.

My epiphany this morning?!?!? OMG, another PARRELLEL in our diseases.

Before I left my A, I was a mess physically. Three years ago i broke my neck falling off the face of a cliff i was climbing. Had surgery, did well and was EXTREMELLY grateful that I was not paralyzed. For about two months before I left my A, I had the WORST pain in my neck, would not go away, ate 800 MG tylenol like candy, to the point of worrying about my liver. I was scared I had done something to it. Ok, actually, it may have had to do with being slapped up side the head one night so hard, it knocked me on the floor, or another time, My A smashed my head into the side of his truck as I was trying to take the keys out of it. In anycase, I was too afraid to go get it looked at, because I didn't want to go through surgery again. In addition, I was sleeping horribly, eating less than a bird and generally not feeling well physically.

Since I have left I am WELL!! The pain in my neck is gone,,(figuratively AND physically LOL), I am eating RIGHT again (I'm normally a VERY healthy eater), back to surfing, roller blading, mountain biking and of course my LOVE running. i suddenly realized I hardly EVER ran with my A. I use to run 5 to 6 day, 5 to 7 miles before. Since I left him, I'm up to EVERYDAY, sometime twice, at least 5 miles a shot!!!! And man, you should see my abs,,,LOL I sleep like a baby at night and wake up the next day feeling refreshed and READY to face the day. And I FEEL physically stronger than I have in a LONG time,,

Just curious, any one else have this experince?

Do you think its all in my head? LOL

Peace
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Broke your neck? And who is "Strong" *wink*

Yes it is amazing how you feel when your A is no longer in the picture on a daily basis! It is the chaos and drama that can create to your failing physical health and mental state of being.

When I wake up and I'm tired I know it is because me and my choices-I make the right choices in my life now, so I do not wake up tired or feeling ill anymore!

(((Hugs))) CE
Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I thought I was in great physical shape when I was drinking. I took long bike rides (had two serious accidents while riding drunk), took our dogs on long walks (made numerous stops to pee off the booze. Also used this time to sneak chewing tobacco that I'd lied about quitting), and enjoyed hiking with the family (my ex was probably hoping I'd drop dead from heatstroke). I felt great (except for the hangovers) and thought I looked pretty good. My weight was normal, probably because I didn't eat much.

When I went into recovery I stopped exercising because of the anxiety, depression, and the fear that my ex would change the locks while I was out. I also went on a steady diet of doughnuts, PB&J's, chocolate milk, Pop Tarts, and cookies. I went up two waist sizes and 25lbs. And that's where I'm at today.

Three months into sobriety I started walking and riding again. Still having trouble with the weight because I love to eat good food, but most mornings I walk my dog, do crunches, and I get the bike out every now and then. My kids keep me on the run paintballing and staying active. I eat mostly healthy food but tend to overeat. The biggest change is in my face. Man did the alcohol ever make me look old. But the biggest thing is that feeling good means thinking good. I'm happier than I've ever been, and if I'm not my daily AA meeting usually whips me back into shape.

So yeah, I FEEL GOOD!! Thanks for the cool topic CE!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right after my daughter was born 2 1/2 years ago and when the sh__ really hit the fan, I was so stressed out, had so much anxiety, that I lost all my baby AND pre-baby weight in a matter of couple months. I went from maternity clothes to size 0-2! People were commenting on my "incredible genes" and how lucky I was! Haha. After I left him and moved out with our infant, I couldn't eat for months. But then everything settled, I got an apartment for a year, then bought a condo, and now I eat, sleep, and am so used to a peaceful household that I've started complaining about boredom. That's good, though.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i've got to get out of my funk. thank you, this is motivating me. k
Old 06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

You are so full of life CE! I just love reading your posts. You help me feel motivated when I'm "down" which seems to be a lot lately.
Recovery is painful and draining at times so I really to hear "success stories" and read posts full of promise and hope.
I feel promise and hope by reading this thread.
Thanks for helping me today!!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Also used this time to sneak chewing tobacco that I'd lied about quitting),

So yeah, I FEEL GOOD!! Thanks for the cool topic CE!

Sorry Astro I just had too! That chewing stuff again! Pahtooooooooooooey!
I believe you stepped into that one! (Sorry CE for the rob I had to keep reminding Astro what a good thing it is that he did by stopping!) Just in case he forgot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (4.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That chewing stuff again! Pahtooooooooooooey!
Well considering you were probably not caring where that SPITON was ASTRO, I can thank someone like YOU for the brown puddle of slimy CRUD I stepped in the other day huh?!?!?

You know we gotta give you crap. Enquiring minds wanna know though. Did you keep it wadded up in your cheek so it would drip down your chin?

Now THAT'S Attractive

I know in the throes of "recovery" there are many different levels. Sometimes your heart is breaking so you can PHYSICALLY feel it while holding your hand to your chest,,~thump~thump~thump~ You feel like you are only getting partial capacity of your lungs. Ever ~gasp~? And oh my goodness, the HEADACHES can be excrutiating. And your tummy turns at the very thought/visualazation of food. You discover bones and muscles you never knew you had, cause they ache so bad. Forget about sleeping while codie thoughts DANCE in your head

We as codies stay focused on this. Its another form of our pity pot, and what I lightly refer to as martrydom,,, he,he,he

We forget it takes just as much effort to focus on the "feel good" that comes with the decision we all have made. Yup, every single one of us that posts on here, believe it or not, has made a decision to do something for THEMSELVES. There's a built in 'feel good" if you search hard enough.

We all got it. whether its your first day here, you've been coming for a while, you went away and came back or you been here longer than dirt.

All you gotta do is dig down and find that "feel good"

And yup, I do beleive it manifests itself in physical well being. Whether you exercise, eat right, sit onthe couch and eat bon, bon's watching soap operas or GOD FOBIDE POP TARTS ASTRO!!!.

And while we sometimes feel like crap, whether it be becaue we're twisting about our A's, or three days sober, there is a FEEL GOOD that is slowly, steadily and sometimes silently creeping into our bodies. We begin to sleep better, (I've done an unscientific study and beleive this is true for CODIES and A's), we start to show an interest in food cause our tummys are settling, breathing becomes more normal, the heart stops palpatating, heck some even become more "regular" if ya know what I mean,,,,

And as we get "well" those signs are more consistent and begin to outweight feeling bad

So, come on!!!

How ya FEELING?!?!?!?

Peace
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Must be karma that this is the first post I checked back on this morning;-) Lol
You two are like Al-Anon'ers for tobacco chewers.

I chewed snuff, so I kept a small amount discreetly tucked in my gums so people wouldn't notice (I thought I was such a smart, crafty alcoholic). But there's nothing more pathetic than a guy dodging his wife and locking himself in the bathroom to brush his teeth. Gee, ya think it looked like I was hiding something?

OK, so for breakfast this morning I had yogurt, a banana, a nectarine, green chai, and my daily vitamins. I FEEL GREAT! Oh, and tonight my GF is taking me out for sushi. "Just for today" my diet is going pretty well!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Astro.....Ha Ha I use that line all the time! "Ya think?!"

Ya know .....I had a bad smoking habit for awhile there! Now it has slowed down.....I guess because I'm not as stressed! My next step is to be like yourself and QUIT the darn things!

Love to bust on you because you can take it! Now I shared something you can bust on me! Ha Ha And the sad thing is NO ONE KNOWS THAT I SMOKE my 2-3 a day ( I know I know why do I then) I hate the smell and no one ever smells it on me! Do not smoke anywhere but outside! PAHTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEY!

Sushi yummmmmy now your talking!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Closet nicotine freak too, huh?? www.whyquit.com
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ha Ha yup! Not many know! Ha Ha

And the sad thing I eat well, work out 5 times a week, take vitamins and have those organic pill things sitting on the shelf ready to take to help aide me to quit!

Thanks for that site Astro but SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH do not want anyone else in hear to know! (What are the odds of that?Ha Ha)