Notices

Recovery alone / without AA?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
There is no 'I' in 'Zfyxgp'

Question Recovery alone / without AA?

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please go easy on me!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about quitting without AA. I have nothing against the group, but as an atheist I don't feel comfortable with the idea of putting my recovery in the hands of God. No offense to any Christians is intended at all, it's just not my thing. Are there such things as secular support groups out there?

I've been on and off the wagon for 18 months now. At the end of last year I managed 3 months without a drop but lately the slips have become worse, and more common. I'm becoming scared that they will continue to get worse. Additionally, I take medication for a medical condition which is severly contra-indicated for alcohol, i.e. if I drink more than 4 units per week I run the risk of causing serious harm to my liver. This makes the whole issue of giving up pretty urgent, because as Dr. House says, 'there's a reason they call it a live-r'. After knocking back around 40 units on Saturday night/Sunday morning I'm starting to wonder if I'd better try to find some help before I drop dead, hence my posting here.

Sorry that was so long-winded, but if anyone has any experience with non-religious recovery groups, and unaided recovery, I'd love to hear any advice you have!

Thanks, and great forums you have here!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

others will be along with suggestions about programs. i just wanted to say welcome! recovery is possible, k
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I have quit without AA and been sober for over 6 years.

This is a list of recovery programs and we also have a Secular Forum you might want to check out:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi demian..Glad you are here.
There is alot of support and info here.
Anna gave you a good link for what you are looking for.
Keep posting.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcome-108.gif (8.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

Here is a link....from the book that convinced me to quit

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Good Luck...Sobriety Rocks!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Always glad to have a new member - welcome, Demian!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome Demian

Glad to have you with us. You are in the right place to learn about recovery! Keep reading and posting.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stupid question, who is 'under the influence' by?
M
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

James R Milam and Katherine Ketcham

ISBN 0-553-27487-2

Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My .02 cents.

I have quit on numerous occasions. 30, 60 and 72 days being my personal best. Never got fired or left a job as a direct result of alcohol but I know deep down it was a factor a few times. Have a very nice house with a great wife and two healthy happy boys. What I'm saying is I don't really have a rock bottom that others would say I hit or am headed toward.

But I know inside that I am totally underachieving and medicating. Not to mention that I have been very "lucky" on numerous occasions that kept me from rock bottom. I am unhappy. So I have read many books, joined websites like this one and have taken campral. Nothing worked long term.

The only avenue I have not tried is a group. If you can find a a secular group, great. If not, try AA. I am. I can tell you that moderation does NOT work. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
There is no 'I' in 'Zfyxgp'

Thanks to veryone for all the welcomes. I've been on many forums around the internet and this is a really friendly place by comparison to most.

When the cravings and the tremors started kicking in at work 2 hours ago, it actually made a big difference to know there was support available online from other people like myself, and I succesfully avoided the off-licence on the way home!

A big problem with the whole 'secular group' thing is living in the UK. I've had a good look at the resources that 51Anna posted (thanks!) and unfortunately my nearest group is in Leeds, which is a long way for me to travel. So I guess it's online support forums and willpower for me!

But to everyone who posted above - you certainly have helped me get one day further away from the booze, and that's all I can hope for in a day! You guys rock, thank you.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Hey Demian,
I tried to quit without AA and managed for 6 years and relapsed worse than ever before. You don't have to believe in God to join AA, U just have to blieve in a power greater than U.
Good Luck
Old 06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Demian . No AA for me and I've been alcohol free 210 days so far. It can be done. I did go to an outpatient group early on but posting here on SR has been a great help and comfort to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Determined

Hi Demian,

I am trying, and so far succeeding, and hope to continue that way, without the help of AA ( I have thought about it though) or a secular group.

I use my friends, my great doc, my very patient and wonderful boyfriend, this website which has been an immense encouragement/ source of info and I also use the strong desire in me to be free.

I don't think it is easy for anyone no matter which method they try, but for today I am doing good, 5 weeks 1 day.. but gypsy and anna have so much more..... but I don't think they'd mind me saying, or hope they don't, that for each and every one of us it is about the choices we make TODAY.

I'm UK based too and feel free to pm me anytime, I cant promise I will have any answers at all, but I will listen and reply and that is waht helped me so much, this great place called SR.

I wish you well

CW
Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I quit drinking without the help of AA and have been sober for 556 days. It can be done.

With that said, I know there are many atheists that attend AA and it works for them.

Also, I would be careful detoxing yourself and especially since you are having tremors and the like you should think about speaking to your doctor. Detoxing can be dangerous.

Glad your here at SR. It's helped me a ton.

hugs
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome, what Glassprisoner recomended, I second.

It is a book, Either Beyond the Influence or Under the Influence

by katherine Ketchem and James Milam are very good books to

educate yourself about alcoholism and the way it affects the body and

takes over the mind,,//// and even great info on treatments and options..

Best wishes and peace be with you, hope3
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am not a Christian and do not believe in it. I believe in myself and my higher power...a native tradition believe that I found worked for me..that consists of sweatlodges, smudging and pray...I believe in my creator...someone/power, had to have helped me along with my mother and father to make me here. This higher doesn't had to be in a book...it can just be in your heart. When I stand in my Al Anon meeting reading out the 12 steps, the 12 traditions everytime it say god, you think of your higher power. You do what you need to do...this is YOUR RESOVERY, you don't have to be a christen to be in AA, Al non, NA, GA. Just Believe in yourself.
Take care and Easy Does It.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Damian=) I'm glad you recognize that you need to get sober, especially since you are taking pills that could interact with alcohol. I am in AA. My attempts to get sober through "willpower" were frustrating failures. I don't believe that arresting alcoholism is a matter of willpower. That being said, we are all entitled to our own beliefs and our own path of recovery. If you don't feel AA is for you, you are not alone. It's too bad that those other programs don't have meetings near you. I'd definitely keep coming to SR. Look into getting a therapist... he/she may be able to help you cope with your emotions so that you don't turn to alcohol. Therapy has helped me. Even if you don't feel you need therapy for anything else, learning how to live without alcohol can be a daunting task and it helps to have someone in your corner who can offer you objective advice. Educate yourself about alcoholism. Read books. I recommend the Big Book. Keeping sobriety in the forefront of you mind is important. Staying vigilant keeps you sober. Also, as has been recommended, seek medical help. It's dangerous to detox on your own!!! Perhaps you could talk to the doctor who is prescribing your meds. I hope everything works out. Keep posting.