Notices

Detoxing of Meth been on For Five years

Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Detoxing of Meth been on For Five years

First of all I would like to say this is my second attempt at finding a supportive Forum.

I prayed on using this one for help as I am here not to be judged but to please get some good information on how to get through this.

My story is I have been on Methadone for Five years. Since January of this year I have tapered from 180mg to 55mgs. The last 10mg drop really hurt me. I have decided to drop 1 mg a week now till I feel it again.

I guess what I am looking for is some similiar stories. I have been offered Suboxone for 3-4 weeks near the end of my taper to make things a little easier.

I went on Methadone here in Canada because I was complaining about my pain meds (have had a few illness and 18 surgeries) I did not like the dizzy feeling I was recieving so my doctor sent me to a "PAIN CLINIC" Where I was introduced to methadone. My first dose was a G-d Send. MY hell was OVER. Or so I thought.

Since my induction to MMT I have had two more surgeries to correct my pain issues and they worked. But here I am STUCK and now an addict to Methadone. Along with this taper I have another problem. I met someone on the net 3 years ago who lives in Kentucky we want to be together forever but here I am stuck in Canada on Methadone. I want to be free of it before I make the leap (he knows about it) But now I am finding out I can transfer down there and taper and use suboxone without anyone knowing besides him. We just feel it is nobody else's business. You see I am a bit younger then him and that is going to be a problem I am 36 but I do not look it I look alot younger and that is going to be a problem too. URGH!!! I think his kids may not take to kindley to it and if they found out I am on Methadone like everyone else I do not think they would think or it is just a painkiller she must have been a user of herion before. And we all know the judgement that is passed around about that too.

I need to know about herbal stuff. I suffer from anxiety attacks and my new doctor made me also wean of clonazapam which I have done but I am uncomfortable. Recently benzo's showed up in my urine but THANK GOD we tracked it down to my protien drinks I have been taking and also all the herbal stuff I have been using. She has given me two weeks to get my urines clean (stop taking protien stuff) but the problem is, I had a gastric bypass 1 year and a half ago and my hair is falling out because of lack of protien and I cannot eat enough to keep the protien up. Anyyways I do not want to borte you all but wow I need your expertize,
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you. keep posting and reading. recovery is possible, k
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

there is so much love and support here! and lots of info..welcome......friends will come soon to welcome you too!

stay strong!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Liquid -

No one will judge you here. You'll find lots of support and understanding! I've no advice on Methadone but wish you the best. Maybe an AA or NA group for support?

TinLizzy
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool

Thank you all for replying Hopefully someone will come along who has detoxed of this poison and will help me in my travels. I have questions about suboxone and a whole heap of reasons as to why I may need to use comfort meds.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome !!!!

The peeps over at the substance abuse forums should be able to help you. I'm a recovering alkie so I know nothing about de-tox from methadone. I'm guessing it will be uncomfortable......I know de-tox from booze is a living hell.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR!!!!! Here's a link to the section you want. Best of luck to you, stay strong!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/
Old 06-11-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm an ex- meth user..while i can relate to the withdraws and anxiety attacks.
I was put on medication in my earily recovery..prozac.
After a while I notice I was getting to addictive to them
and i express my concerns to my doctor. prozac didn't get me high,
but it made me numb..i was niether happy nor sad.
I toss the pills away becuase that was my chioce and I went into
a withdraw from prozac...

I was attending NA and a lot of NA principle help me..
A simple word..but the concept behind it, pretty much explained to me
how and why..

In step # 1 of NA..it say..." I'm powerless over my addictions"...not drugs
or alcohol or food, or shoping or work..
bascially what it ment for me was....I'm an addict...I can get addicted to
whatever..
Bascially the concept was shown to me in my experince....
because after i stopped using drugs and alcohol,
i started substituting with other habits..but i became awear of these things.
So i started applying the principle to my other bad habits..
and it is so true...i didn't stop doing those habits until I got sick and tired
of them..
While taking herb, vitimine or forcing myself to eat helped me to function better..
it didn't elimate all of my problems.

Strange really..now aday you probaly have to force me to take pills
even when i get sick or catch a cold..but once upon a time in my life
i had a pill for every ill and i was sick a lot...
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Liquid,
my son was on methadone MMT only about 3 month when started tapering down from 40mgs. Went down 5mg a week and after 20mgs, 2mgs a week. Now he is on 12mgs. So far didn't have much of any problems. When he'll get close to 0 and off completely it will be probably a very different story.
For that I already got for him good multivitamins with minerals and aminoacids, fish oil and Milk Thistle and alpha-Lipoic Acid (for liver).
For anxiety I can think of herbs Valerian Root and St. Johns Wort, Valerian and Melatonin for sleep. Also Camomile is calming.
Protein as I read is also important in withdrawals from opiates. Maybe you have a problem with digestion of protein and that's why you are deficient in protein. In that case could help you to take digestive pancreatin enzymes.
This is just what I remember from my head - the best would be if you could consult a naturopathic doctor.
Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.
Love, Aura.