OT I am invensible

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

OT I am invensible

I've really done it now. I let my stuborness, bullheaded invensible attitude get me in a world of do do.

Things aren't going as fast as I would like at the Motel. I have 4 guys working on just trash detail and cleaning up the outside and inside. (It's a mess) Well on the outside of the main quarters, it's grown up so bad, part of it is Ivy that has grown unchecked, trees, brush, briars, it's so thick you can't even get around it. The ivy has covered the whole back wall. Oh yes, and did I say this big 5 leaf plant was growing like wild fire in all of it?

Well the workers were not really getting much done. I was getting more irritated by the second. Progress! I wanted to see Progress!!

So I finelly snapped. "What's the problem here guys, why isn't anything getting done? Why are you still standing around doing nothing?"

I forget all the excuses. We need something big enough to cut that 3" vines. So I pick up the pruners and reach over and cut one. "You mean something like this?"
"But there is poisen oak in those vines, I'm alergic." Next guy "I'm alergic too" as were all of them.

I was so frustrated, I did something really stupid. I said FINE, I'll do it. So if you can immagine a 5 foot 100 pound lady grabbing the tools and just venting every bit of anger and frustration out on these vines....it was like the tazmanian devil with weeds flying everywhere. While these 4 men stood and watched. Some of them were so big that even with my full body weight I could swing on them and they still would not let loose of that wall, so I had to cut them off in sections. Dragging, pulling cutting. When I was done, I had a pile twice as tall as I was. SO THERE!

Actually it felt good. It hurt like hell, but it felt good! I really showed those guys what a girl can do!

Until yesterday. Oh lord what have I done. I am covered head to toe in poisen ivy. I mean everywhere! I itch! I covered myself in a baking soda and salt paste. It helped but when it dried, every step I took was leaving baking soda clumps all over the couch, the floor the counters. So now I'm covered in Calamine Lotion from head to toe! I have to go to a Real Estate Closing with Jerry and his sister today. I look like the walking plague! How much do you want to bet the closing goes real fast, like record time. I'm not going to tell them what's wrong with me! (- :

I need help. Nothing is stopping the itching. I've scratched so much, I'm bleeding everywhere. I need home remedys quick.

This invensible superwoman HAS to be able to walk around today in front of those workers and act like NOTHING is wrong! LOL Gotta save face!

Hope this story make you laugh today. I know there is a lesson in it somewhere.

B
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The woman I work with gets poison ivy every year. She has a doctor's prescription for some lotion. She still suffers though. I am sorry that this happened to you. I hope that you feel better really soon. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Ouch. At least you got out of there before the workers saw you go from superwoman to ivy infected lol. Sorry. I swear I'm laughing with you and not at you. I'm allergic to that stuff too.

Sometimes taking some liquid Benedryl will help with the itching.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The first time I got Poison Ivy, grandma (a full blooded Lakota Indian) used the Indian way. We had no lake handy, so she took me out in the back yard with the hose and
sand from my sandbox and under running water broke the blisters with the sand, and the water, of course, washed away the liquid inside the little blisters. It's liquid that spreads it.

I have over the years refined that method, lol. I get in the shower and use a 'soft' 'scrubbie" (the kind for teflon cookware) and break the blisters under the shower so again the liquid inside the blisters will wash down the drain without spreading the rash.

Yes, the skin will be raw, and you will probably end up with some scabs, but the blisters, and thus the ITCHING will be gone!

The indians used to get in a lake and use the sand from the bottom of the lake. The 'nature' of poison ivy is to get you to spread it, the blisters itch, so you will scratch them and break them, thus causing the 'liquid' to spread and cause more blisters.

If you can break the blisters, the itching will stop. The trick is to wash the liquid away as soon as you break the blister, ie the SHOWER, lol

Hope that helps............................................

Love and hugs,
Old 06-11-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am outrageously allergic to poison ivy. I'll get it if there is some in the air just blowing past me.

Benadry pills will help with the itching, but it also makes me really tired. There is a lotion on the market called Technu. It's great - breaks down the urushiol oils which is what makes poison ivy itch so badly and spread like crazy. I have heard that oatmeal baths work but I can't seem to make myself climb into a giant tub of breakfast food...

Typically I end up at the doctor's office getting some high dollar lotion and a cortizone shot....

Good luck! And yes, you're right, there's a lesson in there....

Cats
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Here's a clue - if you see this, don't jump in and start ripping it out....
by the way, poison ivy has 3 leaves, so I'm not sure if that's what you're suffering from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
poison ivy.jpg (3.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-11-2007, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

And another, just for fun:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
poison ivy 2.jpg (5.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
President

Don't scratch!!!! I repeat, don't scratch!!!! When I was 18, I has poison ivy all over, mostly on my face. It actually scarred. I think from the scratching. So don't scratch!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ok super woman, you made your point.it sounded like something i would do..lol... i am not allergic to posion ivy to much but i say if these remedys don't work get to the dr. hope u get better quick.....
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not allergic either but my sister is and she take benedryl and I think a cortizone shot at the Dr's office.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry superwoman, i guess maybe it wasn't a super smart thing to do, to show those guys, huh. look at it this way, at least you got it done and now they can do their part. yes it made me smile but only because of the way you tell the story, i'm so sorry that you feel bad and i hope that it gets all better soon.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Frankly - I think go to the emergency room...it could be poison sumac and it is really bad. There are stories of poison ivy or what ever getting spread to genitals, eyes and cause blindness ect. They can give you shot to help the itchy and spread as well as give you creams. I know I almost got it in my eye as a kid had to go to the dr. Oh also if you inhale the sumac it is even worse than just getting it one your skin it is internal and can pop out anywhere on you...go to the doctor, youll be glad you did. As far as your hired hands...lazy (Maybe) but smart...good luck
Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

They have a shot at the ER that fixes it immediatley.. But, I have heard lately that they do not give this shot anymore.

I have never had Poision Ivy, but you can just say the word and my brother breaks out..it even gets in his mouth.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

They also make a Poison Ivy spray that kills the stuff without killing everything else.
It's expensive but worth it.

I have taught my kids well to watch out for it.. they can spot it easily. They still are not as scared of it as I would like, but they insist they are not allergic.
I was surprised at all their friends who had no idea what it was because they had not been taught.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
On a tear

"Leaves Three... Let it Be"

But I bet you knew that.

Shoulda fired the guys... what, they were going to work AROUND the poison ivy? What do "real" workers do? They glove up and wear long-sleeved shirts and do the work.

Maybe some of that Roundup stuff would kill off any future vines...

(((Ms.Invincible)))
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Go to the drugstore and buy IVY DRY...I have it at my cottage for people unaware of 3 leaved plants...(har har) and it's a Godsend.

Also, you do know that if it gets too awful bad, you may end up on steroids. So, get the IVY DRY, and give it a try....
Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh frankly...I feel for you.
I'm not terribly allergic, but my sons and my ex are. The steroids seem to have it run its course quicker, but its not an instant remedy.
Cool showers and benedryl help.
What ever you do from here on out DO NOT BURN IT!
My ex did, and even I got it, even though I rarely do.
It gets "systemic" in that its no longer contact, but in your system from breathing it in.
We learned the hard way (as did some very angry neighbors...whoops)
Hope you feel better soon
((((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank You everyone. Big Sis, I thought it was five you're fine, three you're mine. Not that it really matters now. LOL

It's probably not that funny, but I really had fun with it today. Had to go to that closing for Jerry's sister. I'm painted up everywhere. Looks like I painted a room and missed the walls! Anyway, just so it wouldn't stand out too much, I just threw on some of my old paint clothes. Should have seen the shock on everyone's face. Everyone decked out and I look like something the cat dragged OUT! For some strange reason I got a kick out of it. I didn't care what I looked like. I didn't care what anyone thought either. That felt good. The shock and disapprovel on their faces made me laugh. I even threatened to hug one of them. Now that was funny.

Now the real test will come when all those grapes that are mixed in with what is left of the poisen ivy, get ripe. Will I be able to resist diving in and picking them? LOL

I just might try the oatmeal bath. Just out of curiosity. What a mess to clean up though when it gets cold.

Thank You all.
B
Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
On a tear

Maybe the workers would like a little breakfast before they get started in the morning?

...oh, that is SOOO bad.

(((Frankly))))
Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

BIG SIS! I'm shocked! (giggle giggle)

If they were only cute, not married, not chugging beers at the end of the day. Besides they were smart enough not to do what I did, they may question my motives if I intoduced oatmeal.

Besides, I've already threatened them that the first one that laughs at me and not with me, well they get to shovel out the room that the sewer backed up in! It's not oatmeal they get to shovel either. They all know I have a hard time firing anyone, but it's guaranteed they will quit if I send them to that room!

B