Notices

Feel a little down today

Old 06-10-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Feel a little down today

Less then a week ago, I posted that I was doing good on my 53 day sober. Now just 5 days later, I'm feeling a little down. Is this something normal in sobriety even after two months (58 days). I don't know if its the alcohol still or that I stopped taking my medicine (Doctor said to stop taking it after two months). Also, I've been getting urges to drink beer lately big time. I didn't get any urges my first month of sobriety. Why am I getting them now?!?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think there will still be some emotional ups and downs to deal with and I think that's what you're experiencing. What kind of medication did you stop taking? I'm wondering if it was an antidepressant, and if so, you might want to talk to your dr about how you're feeling.

As far as feeling the urges, my opinion is that as you're becoming stronger, your addict voice is realizing it's losing its hold on you and is still trying to find a way back in. Recognizing that voice and dealing with it, is a big step in sobriety.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi there newbie...

yep, sounds normal. i was on that fabulous pink cloud for about a month, then those days showed up that felt like i had been punched repeatedly in the gut.

keep up the good work... don't, do not, pick up and drink. it feels like an emotional roller coaster at times, but it gets much better. and then you will see that going through life sober is really worth all of it!!!

do you go to a.a. meetings?

((((((((()))))))))))

gg
Old 06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

do you have a program of some kind? This is the point at which getting a program helps. I can not do this alone and being a member of NA keeps me drug free and moving forward.

Hold on the feelings and urges passese.

Kevin
Old 06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah, and remember like anna51 said, that lovely, cooing voice of addiction can be pretty strong and sound awfully persuasive at times.... "c'mon, just one. you know you want to... it won't hurt... i'm still your best friend."

alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful...

what do you do to help you stay sober?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm pretty much doing it by my self. I've been to AA a couple of times and I've tried to go this past week but something would always come up. Pretty much going to church and praying to the Lord to help me with this.

As far as the urges are concerned I'm not to concern about them. Don't get me wrong, I still take them seriously because I been getting them pretty strong and often lately. My achilles heel is sleep! If I don't get a good night sleep, I've noticed that I'm more anxious and the urgers are stronger, but, sometimes I convince myself that normal (non alcoholics) people tend to have a night or two where they don't get good sleep so maybe I'm just dealing with what most of the general population deals with. I've been sheltered by the effects of alcohol (23 years) for the longest time that it will take more then two months for me to get over this!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. Today was a down day for me, too. It's just been a week for me... Congrats for getting so far and for posting.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont have a whole lot to add. I get the same way even after a month or two.
All I can do is offer an ear and a hug.
Stay strong.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
hg025.gif (21.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responces. Been feeling a little down lately but not all that bad. My worst episodes happened my first 3-4 weeks. I stopped taking the clonazepan which my doctor recommended for two months. I was taking 1/2 pill every night. I cut it to 1/4 pill for a week and then stopped. I've been taking linden tea before bedtime for over a week now and doing allright. My sleep has been better before, but its hasn't gotten any worse. I have a little trouble falling asleep but once I fall asleep I pretty much don't have any more trouble. I just hope that I can deal with my work once I go back.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
believer

hey..sorry for only coming now...but i can't tell you a lot, other than you are an inspiration to me, i am struggling out of depression and seeing you have 58 days is very inspiring to me...it too shall pass...keep going....you're so on the right track.....

and the sleep will come, everything falls into place...just give it time..hold on!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That clonazepam takes quite some time to come out of your system. I weaned off it as well but did it in too short a time. My sleep really suffered, and I was a bear because of it. I basically had to grit my teeth through it, went to lots of meetings, saw a counsellor, and just hung on.
Ups and downs are quite common and can be pretty frightening. You give up booze and WHAM suddenly you can feel again.
But - we all go through it - and do the best that we can on the dark days. Just don't pick up and you'll eventually make it through to the light.
Hang in there.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're doing great! Try to find comfort in that when you are feeling down. I would go talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. She/he might be able to help you out with regards to the meds you recently stopped taking. Listen to the people who posted above. Remember that it's just not worth it to give into those urges.When you start to picture a beer, try to picture yourself dealing with the conseuences of drinking that beer. Best of luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was new to recovery I too had many reasons for not make it to a meeting then i heard someone say "when i was out there I always had time to go to the liquor store and always had the time to drink, now that I am sober I should always have time for a meeting". That was what i needed to hear at the time. Hang in there and no matter what, dont drink! ((((((Hugs))))) to you.
Holley
Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
That clonazepam takes quite some time to come out of your system. I weaned off it as well but did it in too short a time. My sleep really suffered, and I was a bear because of it. I basically had to grit my teeth through it, went to lots of meetings, saw a counsellor, and just hung on.
Ups and downs are quite common and can be pretty frightening. You give up booze and WHAM suddenly you can feel again.
But - we all go through it - and do the best that we can on the dark days. Just don't pick up and you'll eventually make it through to the light.
Hang in there.

How long were you on clonazepam? I been off of it for a little over a week. I have noticed that my quality of sleep lately has been deteriorating, however, I'm under some stress created by other issues going on in my life. I remember the doctor telling me that it was not addictive at the quantities that I was taking and for the length of time he prescribed it.

The drug worked wonders in the early days of my sobriety when I was getting strong anxiety attacks! I tried quiting earlier several times but the anxieties would come back after a few days after quitting. I don't get those anxieties any more (at least those overwhelming feelings I used to get) so I've stop taking it. I just hope I don't have to now battle a different kind of withdrawl!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was on it for several months - and I was prescribed a very low dose, and given only a couple of weeks' dosage at once. But I was running low so went to a clinic when I couldn't get in to see my doc. Was honest with the attending physician and said I was an addict/alkie and that I only needed a few days' worth - he wrote up a script and sent me on my way. I filled it at the pharmacy - 120 pills! And a repeat!
I was mad - then denial kicked in and I thought "well I can handle this" - I took my regular dose for a few days then felt extra-anxious, so took another, then two more the next day and so on. I was stoned, a zombie. Going to work, driving. Everyone knew something was wrong.
So .. the bottle of 120 was gone in about 10 days. Maybe a dozen pills left, I don't remember. I gave them to my sponsor, she lived two doors down, and she gave me a dose morning and night, cutting the dose in half the next day. This was way too fast to come off them - I didn't sleep for days - still went to work. Couldn't eat, lost a ton of weight, my gums bled, I was very dizzy all the time and in a fog.
Bottom line - be careful!!! If you are sure you can use them as prescribed, so be it. But they are highly addictive.
I can't ever use them again.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I've heard and read that the "anniversary" times are sometimes triggers for anxiety or paws symptoms. I.E. 30, 60, 90 days etc. Don't know if this helps... but it might explain why you felt good a few days ago and now not so?