Im curious

Old 06-09-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Im curious

Today after visiting Elvis in the pokey I stopped by Moms. Ive never met her neighbors but I dont think she's a very happy camper. I do know for a fact that theres not many breakables left in that house. Every time Im at Moms lately the neighbor lady is throwing stuff and yelling unmentionables in some foreign language. I should probably pay better attention. I could use a few new cuss words. LOL.

This got me to thinking. I dont think Ive ever broken anything in anger. Especially MY stuff. That just doesnt make sense to me. Im mad at you so Im gonna break something that I like. Thats really gonna cut you to the quick. Well. Maybe if I hit you in the head with it. LOL. But still........... If I were to ever break something it would be YOUR stuff for sure. .

This has got me curious. How many of you break stuff when youre pi$$ed. . Any good stories. <smilie>

Sometimes I feel like a turkey buzzard trying to make a meal of a squashed possum on the interstate. Slim pickings to begin with, and whats worse is all the interruptions.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get the "feeling" but then, like you said ...what's the point?! Also, I'd have to clean up the mess on top of it!

I have been known to slam down a few plastic cups or empty cans (that bounce) in the past. I try to reserve that for when I am home alone....because I know how foolish it is. Gets me to laugh, sometimes.

There; I admitted it!! ha (maybe slam a door or cupboard door on occasion,too embarrased to say)
Old 06-09-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

I actually broke something last night....was looking for a CD in my car, and found a CD belonging to XAF....was a CD that he used to put on and play over and over (and over.....) when he was drinking - blasting it and yelling every word....just the name of the band - Disturbed - says it all...( i LOVE music so it is not like me to ruin a CD) but I found myself, scratching the back side of it up with my keys....apparently, i then decided that was not good enough and broke the frigger in several pieces...NEVER want to hear that again....

and no, i do NOT have an anger issue.....LOL
Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

I am sorry to report that I do get angry but never have broken anything other than a chair when I found out my first wife was having an affair.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Okay I do have to admit slamming a few cupboard doors. But Ive never thrown glassware or the good china. The neighbors have broken dishes and stuff all over the yard. I hesitate to guess what its like inside. LOL.

I usually clean the kitchen or do yard/home repairs, etc. I dont like to say mean things that Ill regret later so I do a time out. Sometimes I can be really vicious. I especially liked to run the vacuum during football. LOL.

Im not addicted to cleaning so if my kitchen is REALLY clean then you know Im not in a good mood. I remember one of his friends walking in the kitchen once and saying what did you do to her now.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's funny Cecilia. I also clean when I'm upset. But I do have quite the temper. I've never broken anything (well, not since I was a teenager. I used to throw stuff all the time then. Thank goodness I learned to control it). Now my thing is slamming a door (sometimes when I'm REALLY upset) and then going on a cleaning frenzy. There have been moments when I've been SO ANGRY that I can feel my bloodpressure shooting through the roof. Usually when that happens I send the kids (if they're around) to their rooms and clean clean clean. Then jump in the shower and cry cry cry. It works for me.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

I love the saying "hurt people hurt people"
I believe that also applies to the objects I have damaged over the years.
I know now that it was a form of acting out on my part because I was hurting inside.
I have not broken anything in a while. I walk through the pain now-
it's the only way for me to continue towards a contented life.
Thanks for this post and for a very important reminder of what I don't want~
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha, when I used to get mad at XAH, I would fume and fume and finally throw a pillow at him. It was actually kind of funny. Or I would throw the remote or something, but underhanded and carefully so it wouldn't hit him.

He, on the other hand, loved put the occasional hole in the sheetrock. On the recent seller's disclosure filled out to sell our home (can we all please pray for an offer soon), he had to disclose the broken oven glass..........that came as a result of him punching it. Grrrrrrrreat idea, huh?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't break things and I don't live with people who do either. At fifty, I'm not going to be that kind of maniac who screams at him for being a maniac. I live in a very back woods, quiet, mountain location, I don't take on that kind of energy, I walk away from it. I have no fear of confrontation but as a kid with a father who was a drinker, I had to take it then, but never again. I have really thinned out the people in my life who cope by breaking and smashing stuff.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dobiediva View Post
That's funny Cecilia. I also clean when I'm upset. But I do have quite the temper. I've never broken anything (well, not since I was a teenager. I used to throw stuff all the time then. Thank goodness I learned to control it). Now my thing is slamming a door (sometimes when I'm REALLY upset) and then going on a cleaning frenzy. There have been moments when I've been SO ANGRY that I can feel my bloodpressure shooting through the roof. Usually when that happens I send the kids (if they're around) to their rooms and clean clean clean. Then jump in the shower and cry cry cry. It works for me.

Im a very even tempered person. It takes a LOT to get me angry. Also theres not much that I care about enuf about to argue about. Sometimes that has caused me some problems. People assume that because Im not arguing that I agree with them. Im not arguing because to me there is no argument. Im gonna do what Im gonna do. Youre not the boss of me so why argue.. LOL.

Ive never been able to relate to people who have quick tempers. Elvis is like that. He blows up. Then 10 mins latter its like it never happened and why are you still upset. He learned early that I hate conflict so I would let him have his way if he made some noise. Im working on learning to say what I think BEFORE I get to the point where I want to rip his face off. It helps that hes a captive audience. LOL.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasGirl View Post
Ha, when I used to get mad at XAH, I would fume and fume and finally throw a pillow at him. It was actually kind of funny. Or I would throw the remote or something, but underhanded and carefully so it wouldn't hit him.

He, on the other hand, loved put the occasional hole in the sheetrock. On the recent seller's disclosure filled out to sell our home (can we all please pray for an offer soon), he had to disclose the broken oven glass..........that came as a result of him punching it. Grrrrrrrreat idea, huh?

Mine has never broke o punched anything. If he had I would have been gone a long time ago. I seen too much of that crap with my Mom and her *****s. Mine would just get loud. And I would avoid him or let him have his way to shut him up. I take responsiblty for some of our problems. Cause like your kids I taught him if him if he had a tantrum he would get his way.

In some ways everything thats happened has been good for me. I couldnt avoid conflict. People kept bringing it to me. I got LOTS of practice. I still dont like it and I pick and chose but I dont need to be postal to tell you what I think anymore. LOL.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Early in our marraige, AH used to think this was ok. Well I have to say I fixed that right up. I used to stencil slates and I had a Home Sweet Home slate up above my front door. Well he slammed the door so hard it fell and broke. Since he seen that bothered me he decided to pick up one of my Grandmothers vases and throw it up against the wall. In a furious rage, I ran up the steps and grabbed every one of his good arrows for hunting and busted them all right in front of him. I told him if he ever touched another thing of mine and broke it I would just keep busting up his stuff. Now I think I must have been nuts, but it worked and he has never broke anything of mine again. You should have seen the look on his face. He was so shocked that I did something like that. Hey I was shocked too. Even to this day I still get teased some for it. I smile and say , Just remember.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my daughter gets mad and breaks HERSELF over and over again..she decides - it's everyone else's fault, so i'll punish myself with drugs and alcohol. it's a big problem.

when i get mad, i cry.

blessings, k
Old 06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Ok - I'll admit it -

My name is Rita & I'm a recovering Thrower!!

I grew up in a home where there was violence toward people, so I didn't want to be like that - so instead objects got the brunt of my temper. Especially my poor cordless phone.

You know when you get those late night calls, the A didn't come home, or wrecked the car, or your daughter ran off & got married 3 days ago & didn't tell you - for me it was just normal to hang up the phone and the CHUNCK it across the room.

It's been about 3 yrs since I've done that - feels pretty good too. I'm sure the cordless phone is very grateful too

It's a lot easier to just say I'm angry or upset or just plain mad - Very grateful that recovery has taught me to feel my feelings not "throw" something thru them.

Funny, nobody ducks when I go to hang up the phone anymore either - lol

Peace,
Rita
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

my boyfriend used to punch walls. sometimes he still does, but not hard enough to go through them. his knuckles are still messed up from his 21st birthday.

i used to throw my stuffed animals when i was little... but then i'd run and get them and apologize for hurting them, especially snowy (my favorite). she actually still hangs out in the bedroom, but she shares a chair with my paddington bear. wow, what a rhyme!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BP

I have a theory. Now this is just my opinion mind you. But I think sometimes they test you to see how far you will let them go. They advance. You back down. So they advance again. Till pretty soon theyre smackin you around because it rained today.

I firmly believe mine tested me early on. . Thats how he learned if he made some noise he could get his way. He also learned that if it was important to me I would stand my ground. Trouble was as time went on less and less seemed important to me. And thats my fault not his.

Ex footbal player that he is Elvis believes the best defense is a good offense. It took me a while but I finally figured it out. The more in the wrong he is the more noise he makes. He used to escalate the smallest disagreement into "well maybe I should just leave". Usually I would back down cause I dont like drama and most of the time it wasnt THAT important. . But there came a time when I called his bluff. "You know if you want to leave you dont have to pick a fight. You can just go". He soon quit with that one. LOL.

Another one of his favs was/is to grill me with whys. Why dont you want to do what I want. What sane reason could you possibly have. Etc.......... I used to try to give reasons and explain myself. But finally I would just give in. Now I say I dont need a reason. My reason is because I dont want to.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I used to punch holes in the sheetrock or slam my hand against the light switches hard enough to break them. When I sobered up the next day I had to repair the damage. Duh.

I threw apples against the kitchen ceiling once when my first wife and I were arguing. Spent the next day cleaning bits of apple off the ceiling, walls, and floor. With my second wife I always took my anger out on her cell phone since she was always calling male co-workers.

There was one thing though that I broke more of than anything else when I was pi$$ed. Someone else's heart and their trust.

Pause when agitated.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Peace loving hippie here,,,

but I'm also an injun,,,

When I get angry, I break me

I run as long and hard as I can. Usually with sunglasses on, so no one see's my tears

I bike the washed out mountian roads, doing 40 mph and crying WOO HOO

I roller blade off the boardwalks on the beach. Sand ain't so soft when you land from 10 feet

And If I'm really lucky, jumping outta a plan usually cures any rage left,,

Peace

Oh, but when I was a youngun, I once broke a wondow with a pool cue. Scared the crap outta me,,,he,he,he
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro;1367341

I used to punch holes in the sheetrock or slam my hand against the light switches hard enough to break them. When I sobered up the next day I had to repair the damage. Duh.
I was thinking of breaking STUFF like crockery. But I do have to admit being guilty of throwing a punch in my youth.. Ive had some stepfathers who seemed to thnk my Mom and I came as a package deal. The short version. I punched one. LOL. .

At Moms again last night. I sure would like to know what the neighbors are calling each other. Sounds interesting. All I can make out is something that sounds like goose.