Notices

A Million Little Pieces...

Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

A Million Little Pieces...

Yesterday, I just finished reading the "memoir" "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. I say "memoir" because this was the book that was found to hold many lies in it and be fiction. Anyway, the book is about a 23 year old that goes through rehab for drugs and alcohol. I was dissapointed with the book, because 1. it's dissapointing that it's basically a fictional account disguised as truth and 2. he basically states that AA is for fools and that the only way to get through an addiction is by yourself. First, I was wondering if anyone has read this book and what they thought of it. Honestly, I think it's kind of dangerous for some to read because it gives the impression that the only way to make it through addiction is to do it by yourself, which I feel is false. I know that there are other opinions out there.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can reccomend any books about people that have gotten through addictions. I'm really interested in reading these at this point in my life.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read the book about 2 years ago. I read it in 3 days, but found it more entertaining than helpful. At the time it hadnt come out that alot of it was fictional so I was impressed that he was able to on his own. Loking back though I agree with you if he did stop on his own hwe is a rare case. Ive been trying on my own for years and regret it. After years of never taking NA or AA seriously I now know I made a big mistake. Im still dragging my heels as far as getting to a meeting, but atleast ive finally come to accept that is what I need to do.
I cant reccommend anythinfg else as far as reading material and would also like to hear some recommendations for others, but I do know I wouldnt recommend freys book as a tool for recovery.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also read the book before it was known to be fiction. I really liked the story and the writing. It was a really good read and I couldn't put it down either.

The book about addiction that I loved the most is "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. It's a memoir (a real memoir) by a young woman who balanced her work on a popular magazine with her addiction to alcohol. It is raw and honest and smart and it gave me the hope that I could stop drinking too.

The book that helped me the most with addiction is "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav. He talks of spirituality and life's journey and addiction and how to be an authentic person.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinking, A love Story is one of my favorites.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The memoir by Caroline Knapp that Anna recommended is a fantastic book and helped me a lot.
I read A Million Little Pieces before the hype so believed it to be true - I too found the thinking in it dangerous - the idea that one could go it alone. This isn't to say that recovery isn't possible without AA - because many here are testament to the fact that recovery is possible without it.
But his whole approach - that you could use nothing but willpower and false pride - really turned me off. Getting sober, for me, has been about surrender - and about asking for help.
I've read lots of books that you might like - I'll dig through my archives and let you know if I come up with anything.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I have never read it before and probably won't because I am too busy working the Program of NA or at least trying to, at least to the best of my ability.

AA isn't for everyone and neither is NA, or SA, CA, PLA etc.

But one thing that I have to remember is that for this addict I try to be open-minded and that isn't easy sometimes. For me I can understand how you said that we have to do it ourselves. For in NA it says, "I am not responsible for my disease but I am responsible for my recovery."

No one is going to make me go to meetings, work the steps, call my sponsor, read the literature. And for me the only way that I am willing to do those things if I am doing my HP's Will and not mine. So I can relate to what he is saying although I still need YOU ALL TOO
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good read. But so is Pappilon, which was also later found out to be "exaggerated". I love a good read, true or not.

Another great book about addiction is Requiem for a Dream. Again, fiction.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just started WHAT THE STONES REMEMBER: A LIFE REDISCOVERED by Patrick Lane. It's beautifully written and is a memoir recounting the author's journey to sobriety, the first year of which he spent close to home, tending his garden.

The first sentence drew me in... "I stood alone among yellow glacier lilies and the windflowers of spring, the western anenome, their petals frail disks of trembling clotted cream."
Old 06-09-2007, 03:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

'Drinking:A Love Story' is really wonderful - it has particular insights into the experience of being a woman alcoholic. 'Dry' by Augusten Burroughs is great also. It actually manages to be very funny as well as inspiring and insightful.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have "Dry" sitting on my table, ready to begin. Thanks for the positive words Lunapro.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

xX, SR's miracal gave it to me to read...

my opinon on it... i got half way through, said... thats enough for me... that guy was annoying as all hell... all the negativity, the whine'n... saying the same crap over and over... geeze, it made me want a drink... j/k

oprah book of the month club my (_rz_)... sorry oprah, no watch'n you and eat'n Bon Bons for this drunk...

a great read... " The Dark Night of Recovery " ... it aint all doom and gloom as the title might suggest...

xxoo, rz
Old 06-09-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I finished A Million Little Pieces just before the scandal broke about his fabrication of the truth. In some respects I could understand where he was coming from in that when we when we are drunk/high our perception of reality is inexact (to say the least.) At the same time, I found myself annoyed with him while I was reading because it seemed as though he was rather self-aggrandizing in his portrayal of himself as stronger than others.
With regards to recovery related books, here's a link to a thread in the cafe.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lp-us-all.html
Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Well, this is not a book, but there are about 150 "Stories of Recovery" right here on this site. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/stories-recovery/ Some may be stories from the very people who support you. I highly recommend checking some of them out. Plus, it's free!! Take care.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, it's incredibly sad.

But, her writing lives on and still inspires many people. She also wrote "A Pack of Two" which is about her dog Lucille. She got this dog when she came out of rehab and formed an intense bond with her.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been reading a book that has helped me change my life.I went thhrough drug and alchohol treatment when I was 14,23 and then again 2 differant times last year.Upon completion of these programs,the longest period of sobriety I ever had was 61 days,,the shortest was 5 hours.Last year I had a really difficult time and ended up in the hospital on 5 differant occations.
I was really desperate to find something to help me maintain my sobriety as I was at my bottom.If I continued on the path I was on,I would not be here right now writting this.(due to health problems) I finally found a really cool book.It has an instruction portion that tells how to follow certain principals so I could change my lifestyle.It also has about 18 differant "stories" of how Alchoholics turned their life around after hitting a "bottom" like the one I had hit.I was amazed because I could really relate to the stories.
The book is called The Big Book of Alchoholics Annonomyus.Keep an open mind and try it..It might help ya...I kow it won't hurt..Good Luck..
Old 06-09-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally agree with die tryin... The Big Book definitely had a profound impact on me.