Notices

This night

Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This night

is Friday. I remember old Friday nights. I would be out till late and by the time I got home, everyone would be in bed. My oldest daughter would babysit. If she wanted to go out I would say she couldn't cos I had had such a tough week. Hmmm - mostly drinking made it tuff. I would flop into bed and wake up sick. I would wake early from the sugar low and take painkillers. I would blame stress. I would blame my ex. I would blame all the yukky things that happened in my life. I never blamed alcohol.

Now this week was tuff! I worked hard. It was non stop but I made it to 6 meetings. It was busy and difficult and I am very tired.

Tonight I have to stay up late because I have to be a taxi. That's what solo Mums do. I will go and pick up my second daughter from a school dance at 10.30. My oldest is out having dinner with her friends.

I could sit here and feel sorry for myself. I could say to myself - how come they get to go out and I have to stay home? I could wish that I was out drinking with "mates". I could complain that I have a big job that keeps me very busy. I have three children to take care of on my own. My ex boyfreind (who I will always love very much) chose booze over me and is out drinking and womanising again. He moved out and I am alone to cope with large spiders and empty heavy gas bottles on the stove. All that is probably worth a bit of a sulk.

But - I will go and pick up my daughter at 10.30 on a Friday night. She has a friend staying with her for the night. First time in a very long time. She said she loved me out loud when I dropped her off at the dance.

I will go and pick up my daughter at 10.30 on a friday night. Maybe if I say it enough times it will seem real. I am just sooooooooooooooo grateful and pleased to be able to do that.

Yea. so.. anyhooo.

Day 18 is pretty damned good.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

Hi Steph-congrats on 18 days
I absolutely relate to being the "taxi". I have to schlep lots of folks around for various reasons. I do sense gratitude in your post of being sober and having the opportunity to be there for your family.
Tonight, they will be aware that you are there for them-how cool!
~Have a great sober day
Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Steph,

I hear so much growth in your posts and it's really gratifying.

I enjoy being a sober, responsible Mom too. I don't see my eldest girl anymore, but I hope that changes in time. A good reason to stay sober.

Thanks for sharing and well done on your 18 days!

Rowan xoxo
Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Cali and Rowan

I am grateful. I am safe and warm and I have eaten and soon I will go and gather my brood back to my nest (and a spare in my safekeeping). I used to love being a Mum and making a safe happy home. It seems a long time ago now but I am loving it tonight more than ever. My friends and love are drunk and doing things they will regret tomorrow. I am so grateful not to be watching them like a masochist while they flirt and carry on and I am so grateful not to be doing that with them and not to be feeling all the anger and fear that goes with it. Spiders are nothing compared to that.

I was talking to Stone earlier about numbers that no one cares much about. Poor old 18 doesn't seem like a magic number but for me it is tonight.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hope3

Oh Pilgram, spoken like a true survivor.....

Bless you sweetie.....18 is great.....hope3
Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi hope. Thanks for being with me tonight. Goodness knows what the time is there. You must be an early riser! I hope you have a wonderful sober Friday too.

I was driving home and saw my ex staggering out of a taxi. I stopped and asked "so what time do you call this then?". He had said he was going for a "couple" at 5pm and it was 10.40pm. He didn't know what was going on and he didn't even seem to recognise me for a while.

My daughter gave me a high five and told me that it was cool that I sprung him. I am not happy about it and I feel nothing but pity. It is no life that hell. I am grateful to have seen him to be reminded.

Is there another word meaning grateful? I think I am going to overuse it.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

steph... keep that attitude of gratitude, not attitude...

your seeing the benifits of sobriety...

go girl...

a high five from me too..

xxoo, rz
Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your recovery is shining like a Ray of Light! 18 days or ten thousand and 18 days..all we have is this day sober. Thanks for your share here today/tonight. Its sweet and, as Rowan said, gratifying to share your journey.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Soon you will forget this night but your daughter won't!
You are replacing her negetive experiences with positive ones!

Sober Friday nights can be f special too....eat out...catch a movie
do a bubble bath or polish your nails. Pamper the new you.

Glad to see your 18 winning days!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

proud of you! blessings, k
Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

WTG Steph...a great couple of posts to send me off to bed with a smile on the dial !
D
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a lovely thread!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's posts like this that help keep me on the straight and narrow when it comes to sobriety, congrats on 18 days and on being able to repair those damage relationships with your kids.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Steph,

Please keep up the good work. You have so much at stake. This post is so bittersweet. Your challenge is a great one. But your children sound so ready to stand with you it is quite beautiful. I don't know you yet I am very proud of you.

Best Wishes.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another grateful "taxi" driver here. Single dad of 2 teenage daughters.

I wouldn't trade it for the world. Everytime I "have" to do something for them, I Thank God.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
It was non stop but I made it to 6 meetings. It was busy and difficult and I am very tired.
You totally rock Steph! "Half measures availed us nothing". It makes my heart swell to hear that you're doing the deal.

I love the life I have in sobriety with my two children, love taking them to meetings, love being a sober participant in their lives, love it, love it, love it!!!

Stick with it, it gets even better!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

good going, pilgrim. feels good to be sober, huh? even when times get tough and things may be painful or annoying, its way better to get through it all SOBER!!

(((())))

gg
Old 06-08-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Steph! HI girl! You're really doing it this time and with a vengeance! I'm so proud of you. Keep up the good work!! :huh:
Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Steph,

18 days is wonderful!What a great post.Just keep doing what you're doing.Thinking of you,

Rosexox
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

well shoot! My hug didnt work, lets try this again.........